C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Original Teak Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
gjesion
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Original Teak Steering Wheel

I noticed a thread on the parts forum of someone wanting to buy a teak steering wheel. I was just wondering, is there a way to determine if the wheel is a repop vs. an original??

Regards,
Jerry
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Yes, several threads on this. Do some research here on the forum. Here are a few:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4103771-is-this-a-newman-teak-wheel.html

Same question here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eak-wheel.html

And from the expert:

provette67:

"Many here have hit on some of the differences. None are major but they are there.A misnomer is "he had it for 20yrs". I bought my first Corvette in 1977. A maroon/saddle '66 roadster. I bought it from the original owner. He was a hoarder who gave me all kinds of great paperwork and his collection of old vette magazines. I found repop teak wheels for sale in ads from 1971. As mentioned here earlier it is a feel thing for many. Many of the repops were made with off shore made center sections. That is why the the edges are sharper. Some have even been found to be just a bit shallower in depth as well. Some were made without real teak and rosewood to save money in production. Many times the finger grips on the backside are different. The width of the wood itself many times is thicker on the repops. It all adds up. In person it takes me less than 30sec to tell original vs repop. When I setup with a few parts at Bloomington or Carlisle I usually bring a few wheels with me. A couple repops as well as a couple originals. People ask the differences. I point out a few things and they all quickly can tell the differences as well. Some people don't care if is a an original wheel or not. They just want one because they look good. Which they do. They also feel great. Others like me have to have original when ever possible. Some here that know me know that I am very meticulous about my passions. Teak wheels are one of my passions. My wife among others think that I have taken that passion way to far. Yes I admit that I have several original teak wheels including one that is NOS in the original box. Like I tell my wife unlike her shoes the value of the wheels don't go down. Now even the price of the repops have gone up close to what an original sells for. So others must like them as well."

Last edited by dahogan; 01-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gjesion (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 623 Likes on 363 Posts

Before I bought my rosewood wheel locally on craigslist, I was considering stopping by a local company near me that does a ton of camaro parts, including rosewood steering wheels to see how they would work on my 64. My friends 69 RS/SS had one, that's how i thought to look for Camaro parts as well. I did not end up pursuing this because during that same timeframe I found the one I bought...
What are your guys thoughts on one of these Camaro wheels for Corvette owners that want a rosewood wheel without the price premium? This is a whole kit for $399.00 bit I think you can get just the wheel without the rest of the kit for less.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...Tilt-Steering/
Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
Before I bought my rosewood wheel locally on craigslist, I was considering stopping by a local company near me that does a ton of camaro parts, including rosewood steering wheels to see how they would work on my 64. My friends 69 RS/SS had one, that's how i thought to look for Camaro parts as well. I did not end up pursuing this because during that same timeframe I found the one I bought...
What are your guys thoughts on one of these Camaro wheels for Corvette owners that want a rosewood wheel without the price premium? This is a whole kit for $399.00 bit I think you can get just the wheel without the rest of the kit for less.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...Tilt-Steering/
its still a plastic wheel. and if you had a repro plastic wheel beside a real GM one you will be able to tell in a few seconds
Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dahogan
Yes, several threads on this. Do some research here on the forum. Here are a few:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4103771-is-this-a-newman-teak-wheel.html

Same question here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eak-wheel.html

And from the expert:

provette67:

"Many here have hit on some of the differences. None are major but they are there.A misnomer is "he had it for 20yrs". I bought my first Corvette in 1977. A maroon/saddle '66 roadster. I bought it from the original owner. He was a hoarder who gave me all kinds of great paperwork and his collection of old vette magazines. I found repop teak wheels for sale in ads from 1971. As mentioned here earlier it is a feel thing for many. Many of the repops were made with off shore made center sections. That is why the the edges are sharper. Some have even been found to be just a bit shallower in depth as well. Some were made without real teak and rosewood to save money in production. Many times the finger grips on the backside are different. The width of the wood itself many times is thicker on the repops. It all adds up. In person it takes me less than 30sec to tell original vs repop. When I setup with a few parts at Bloomington or Carlisle I usually bring a few wheels with me. A couple repops as well as a couple originals. People ask the differences. I point out a few things and they all quickly can tell the differences as well. Some people don't care if is a an original wheel or not. They just want one because they look good. Which they do. They also feel great. Others like me have to have original when ever possible. Some here that know me know that I am very meticulous about my passions. Teak wheels are one of my passions. My wife among others think that I have taken that passion way to far. Yes I admit that I have several original teak wheels including one that is NOS in the original box. Like I tell my wife unlike her shoes the value of the wheels don't go down. Now even the price of the repops have gone up close to what an original sells for. So others must like them as well."
I have somewhat of a different opinion on teakwood wheels. Why try to make them look like complete reproductions? Who are you fooling? For example, I like the look and feel of the Eric Freeman repro and so I go with it. (although I don't understand why they're 15" instead of the standard 16"). I had a so-called reproduction teakwood and it appeared too light and thick. Go with what appeals to you both visually and physically and don't worry so much about making it look original. And if you have a NOS, I can see why you would want to keep it in the closet since it becomes a collector's item all in itself.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
its still a plastic wheel. and if you had a repro plastic wheel beside a real GM one you will be able to tell in a few seconds
oh sorry, wrong wheel, obviously that says right on it it is plastic & simulated, because that was a factory wheel for the camaro, but they also carry real wood wheels like this walnut wheel for $299.00
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...GM%23-9746185/
Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

oh sorry, wrong wheel, obviously that says right on it it is plastic & simulated, because that was a factory wheel for the camaro, but they also carry real wood wheels like this walnut wheel for $299.00
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...GM%23-9746185/

still plastic
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jsans
I have somewhat of a different opinion on teakwood wheels. Why try to make them look like complete reproductions? Who are you fooling? For example, I like the look and feel of the Eric Freeman repro and so I go with it. (although I don't understand why they're 15" instead of the standard 16"). I had a so-called reproduction teakwood and it appeared too light and thick. Go with what appeals to you both visually and physically and don't worry so much about making it look original. And if you have a NOS, I can see why you would want to keep it in the closet since it becomes a collector's item all in itself.
I am not sure if you are talking to me or not. I do not make reproduction wheels. I never have. So I am not trying to fool anyone. Many people throughout the years have made them. Some are better than others. I have bought them including Freeman made wheels. Which by the way there are differences between his wheels. Early on he used original cores. Later because of his need to supply to many sellers he ended up with off shore made center sections. As he got better at them he made them closer to originals in finger grips and width. By the way most of Freeman's wheels were 16". Some people wanted a 15" wheel to give them more room so he made them. They are a great way to show the difference between an original and a repop. Besides not everyone wants to spend what an original is worth. So I can sell them that looks close for less money. As far my new in the box wheel I have it displayed above my desk and the box is in the closet. I was at Bloomington a number a years ago where a vendor had the wheel. At the time it was a large amount of money. My friend said that you love you those wheels so much how can you pass on the best of the best. He was right so I bought it. I wish that I could find more just like it!
The following users liked this post:
dahogan (07-24-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
still plastic
I assume you base your comment only on that picture that shows zero detail on.... I will have to stop in there one of these days and check them out, & get some actual facts & pictures.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by gjesion
I noticed a thread on the parts forum of someone wanting to buy a teak steering wheel. I was just wondering, is there a way to determine if the wheel is a repop vs. an original??

Regards,
Jerry
I have a teak repro from Cranes Corvettes from about 15 years ago. On mine the edges of the spokes were sharp and not eased or beveled like the original GM plastic wheels (and I assume original teak wheels. A day with fine files and some careful sanding/polishing and I fixed that. Also the finger grooves on the back are more angular and sharp edged versus the originals I've seen which are very soft edged and rounded. And then, an original that hasn't been refinished appears to have more of a rubbed oil finish where the repros usually wear a more modern finish which has more gloss. Now the Freeman wheels - I don't know if I have ever seen one but I understand them to be more faithful to the originals in these details - but I can't vouch for that.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I assume you base your comment only on that picture that shows zero detail on.... I will have to stop in there one of these days and check them out, & get some actual facts & pictures.
that is the wheel used in 67-68 Chevelles, Camaros, and Impalas. very close to Corvette 67-68 wheel but the dish is different. the Gov outlawed real wood steering wheels for the 67 model year. they thought in a wreck they would splinter and be dangerous

if you want a factory looking teak wheel your going to pay close to a grand there is no way around it
Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

I'm good, just trying to help others out, mine is a 15" from who knows where and I am happy with it.
Now if I sent my origina 16" wheel in and had the cracked plastic taken off & changed over wood, i would be happier. Here was my post on that.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-wheel.html

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 01-11-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Were wood steering wheels prevalent back in the 60's? When I had my 63' SWC and my 66' convertible, they both had wood steering wheels. I was going to cover them with the popular wrap around leather covers, but, decided not to. I liked the look and feel of the wood.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusler John
Were wood steering wheels prevalent back in the 60's? When I had my 63' SWC and my 66' convertible, they both had wood steering wheels. I was going to cover them with the popular wrap around leather covers, but, decided not to. I liked the look and feel of the wood.
Not that I recall John. Around here, central Illinois in the 60's, I can only remember 1 Corvette with a teak wheel, a black '65. As a young, unsophisticated teen I thought the simulated wood plastic ones looked pretty good.

I'll bet in California it was different.

Thomas
Old 01-12-2019, 03:24 PM
1FLY65
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got a reproduction wheel from Mike Lempert of Lempert Wheels. He uses an original core for the wheel. You can either send yours in and he will use your core, or he will use some cores he already have. If you send your wheel in you get some money off the wheel. Mike is a true Craftsman and I feel the wheel is a work of art.

The following 4 users liked this post by 1FLY65:
dcamick (09-05-2021), leif.anderson93 (05-14-2020), mblake101 (07-24-2019), solidaxel (07-24-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Don't quote me on this. Please, don't. I have a Freeman's wood wheel on my '66 and I love it, incorrectly sharp cut spoke openings and all. I have also held and coveted an OEM teak wheel during my lifetime. That OEM wheel felt heavier to me than my wonderful repro. I dunno, maybe I was simply star struck.

Ray
Old 01-13-2019, 01:53 AM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
I am not sure if you are talking to me or not. I do not make reproduction wheels. I never have. So I am not trying to fool anyone. Many people throughout the years have made them. Some are better than others. I have bought them including Freeman made wheels. Which by the way there are differences between his wheels. Early on he used original cores. Later because of his need to supply to many sellers he ended up with off shore made center sections. As he got better at them he made them closer to originals in finger grips and width. By the way most of Freeman's wheels were 16". Some people wanted a 15" wheel to give them more room so he made them. They are a great way to show the difference between an original and a repop. Besides not everyone wants to spend what an original is worth. So I can sell them that looks close for less money. As far my new in the box wheel I have it displayed above my desk and the box is in the closet. I was at Bloomington a number a years ago where a vendor had the wheel. At the time it was a large amount of money. My friend said that you love you those wheels so much how can you pass on the best of the best. He was right so I bought it. I wish that I could find more just like it!
I wasn't directing my post towards you. I was being more general except for the closet wheel. But I'm not criticizing that purchase, I'm just stating I would afraid to use it for the fear of it fading and wearing it down, so I would do the same thing by keeping it off the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Original Teak Steering Wheel

Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLY65
I just got a reproduction wheel from Mike Lempert of Lempert Wheels. He uses an original core for the wheel. You can either send yours in and he will use your core, or he will use some cores he already have. If you send your wheel in you get some money off the wheel. Mike is a true Craftsman and I feel the wheel is a work of art.

That's a nice looking wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
DSR (05-24-2020), mblake101 (07-24-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 494 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Teakwood Steering Wheel for a C2

Last edited by C2Scho; 07-05-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:26 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

This is Eric’s last teak wheel. My wife bought it from him to give to me as a Christmas present a couple of years back. I know it’s not correct for a ‘67 but I don’t care. Like you, I get a lot of nice comments about it. The difference in the feel between the original plastic wheel and the wood on this wheel is huge.

Steve

Quick Reply: [C2] Original Teak Steering Wheel