C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Engine bay feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
wow this is insane!

how about some clear-printed stickers with overspray on them, so you can stick them on places to look like overspray, then simply remove them when finished.
Time for you to step away from the crack pipe.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller

Thanks Larry. Do you know how to reach Don?

Ed
Ed:

Don Baker is from Chicago area. His phone number (last one I have) is (815) 498-9522. He is a regular at Bloomington and does a lot of distributor work for others. He is a good guy.

The original can for your car is a #236. Don makes the best reproduction out there, and it is used by all the FI guys. But it is not cheap. But it works.

You can also buy a generic B28 vacuum can from Rock Auto and others that is essentially the same and is cheap. Just Google B28 or NAPA/Echlin VC1810 to find this can part number from other brands...........but they are all the same nowadays and made by the same company which is Standard Motor Company (SMP). I think the Airtex brand is still available. Ebay is another place to look. Be sure to check exactly what you have now versus the B28 specs to make sure you are not going to create an problem for yourself with California gas and engine ignition timing. You can use a timing light and a Mighty-Vac to check out your current vacuum can performance.

Lars and SWCDuke and others have recommended that most folks install the Bxx can for a better fit for their cars based on engine vacuum at idle. I BELIEVE this xx number for your car is B20 or B26 (VC1765), but search the archives for Lars or SWC exact comments and cautions. If needed I can do this research for you when I have more time (Monday or Tuesday) and/or no one else responds. Our New Orleans Saints play in about an hour and I have a party to go to.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 01-20-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:57 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks Larry. I’m rooting for the Saints as I’m a Drew Brees fan as we are both Purdue alumni.

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 01-20-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ok,heres what you really need to do

1.roll the car back inside the garage
2.jack up car to 27'' off the ground,making sure is 2degs up in the rear
3.unbolt body and lift off frame 46''
4.disassemble every nut,bolt,washer
5.strip and paint/replate everything
6.reassemble everything
7.never drive it again,so as to never get it dirty

the car looks real good as is-good work
Old 01-20-2019, 02:12 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
ok,heres what you really need to do

1.roll the car back inside the garage
2.jack up car to 27'' off the ground,making sure is 2degs up in the rear
3.unbolt body and lift off frame 46''
4.disassemble every nut,bolt,washer
5.strip and paint/replate everything
6.reassemble everything
7.never drive it again,so as to never get it dirty

the car looks real good as is-good work

Now that’s funny!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:04 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 605 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
It would be interesting to see different approaches to the black overspray on the hood latches.

So far I haven't been able to bring myself to doing it. Kinda like the overspray on the on the waterpump bypass.

Just be clear about the overspray on the hood latches, that happened only on bodies that were assembled in the St. Louis body shop. In St. Louis, when blackout spay was applied to the firewall, the hood latches had already been installed, and they got lots of overspray.

The assembly sequence was different at the AO Smith body shop. The hood latches were installed *after* the firewall blackout had been applied. An AO Smith body should have no overspray whatsoever on the hood latches.

There are lots of subtle differences between the way that St. Louis bodies were assembled and the way AO Smith bodies were assembled. In the early days of NCRS judging, the judging guide was based primarily on original St. Louis cars. It has taken several years to get the AO Smith differences into the NCRS Judging Guide.

For readers who may not know whether their car body was made at St. Louis or AO Smith, the simplest way to check is to look at the trim tag under the glove compartment (assuming the trim tag is original to the car). In the photo below, the characters "A-2409" next to BODY indicate the the body was the 2409th body assembled at AO Smith. For St. Louis, the first character would be an "S".

Old 01-20-2019, 03:21 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the explanation. Mine is St Louis.

Ed
Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Drew Brees will be taking the rest of the Winter off.
The alignment shims should all have squared off tops.
You NCRS guys are completely insane.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Unfortunate lack of obvious pass interference call yesterday cost them the game. Oh well.

Regarding the NCRS, for me I absolutely love the idea of putting cars back they way they were not that it’s for everyone. I was the kid who built and painted the model car exactly as it was on the box.

I plan on on addressing some of these but not sure I will go after them all especially if the risk of making it worse is high.

Ed

Quick Reply: Engine bay feedback appreciated