Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for a convertible top supplier...

Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 AM
glensgreen65
CF Senior Member

Default Suggestions for a convertible top supplier...

Hey guys, the old top looks pretty dull against the new paint. Who's the popular choice for a new unit these days? A complete kit would be best as this has been on for 30 years. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 AM
427Hotrod
CF Senior Member

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Al Knoch did a nice job on mine.

JIM
Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Vettegeezer
CF Senior Member

I also used Al Knoch for my C2 top which was replaced last year by a local installer. If you have intentions of having your car judged, you can specify the correct 3/8" header vinyl trim material (extra cost), that is usually not available from other sources. I have no complaints with the AK top & install went well. My opinion is that you will have a greater challenge finding a competent installer, particularly if want the install done a particular way (to pass judging).
Old 01-20-2019, 11:07 AM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Suggestions for a Convertible Top Supplier

Originally Posted by glensgreen65 View Post
Hey guys, the old top looks pretty dull against the new paint. Who's the popular choice for a new unit these days? A complete kit would be best as this has been on for 30 years. Thanks for your input!
I had mine done a couple of years ago by Coffman Corvettes out of Mansfield OHIO. I was very pleased with the work they did and the top fits very well (not that I use it much). They were a good company to work with and I would go back to them in a heartbeat if I needed top work done.

Coffman has made a jig that duplicates the upper part of a C2 convertible body so that you don't actually have to have your car present as a guide when they put the top on your frame. A lot of guys set up appointments with Al Knoch for when they will be at a car event relatively close to their home. The customer then drives their car to the event for the convertible top replacement appointment. Their workers are amazing to watch if you stop by the Al Knoch tent.

With Coffman you can just ship your frame to them in Ohio and they will ship it back to you when completed with the new top on the frame. That might be an advantage with you living up in BC far away from most events that Al Knoch might be attending. Although you might want to call Al Knoch and check his show schedule for 2019. Or perhaps Al Knoch also accept frames shipped to them in need of a new top and also have a jig. A lot of guys believe that in order to get a good fit, the frame must already be on the car during the actual installation for a good result. Not in my case.

Depending on the condition of your frame and whether or not you are NCRS aligned, you might want to consider having your frame restored/repainted or powder coated before the new top goes on.

Good Luck with your endeavor.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Doug C Young
CF Senior Member

Default C2 Corvette top repair/restoration

I sent my complete top to Coffmans in Ohio and had it completely stripped/powder coated with new bushings, weatherstrips , glass & connections. They installed a Stay fast tan cover
for me and returned it.. Truly amazing job, their workmanship is excellent It fits like glove and looks like a million $ on my Glen Glen 65
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

C2scho,
I had a shop in Silver Spring remove my top from the frame. I then refinished it, bolted it back as marked, fitted all new weatherstriping, and then had the shop install a new top. The shop is a two car size shop and does driver quality work. They made one mistake on mine that can't be corrected. It can't be seen unless you look inside. It does not concern me. If you want the name, PM me. Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 01-20-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis,

Many thanks for the kind offer but I had my top put on by Coffman two years ago and with it sitting open (to keep it from wrinkling) down in my basement, the new top should last till long after I take my long dirt nap. Brooks Cooper out in Sperryville restored the frame before I dropped it off with Coffman's up at Carlisle.

Actually all of my input was just to help glensgreen65 from British Columbia. I took my top back off of my car soon after I put it on. I found that since I never drive the car except on sunny days and I always put down the top, I started to wonder why I even had it in the car? Since I do attend car shows (Cars and Coffee) in the DC area from time to time I found that I was able to make great use of the space under the convertible deck lid once the top was no longer there.

I hope to run into you in person someday since you are only about 45 minutes away. I always enjoy reading your posts and thread responses. Feel free to PM me anytime. Thanks again.

C.J.
Fairfax, VA
Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Oaker57
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Al Knoch did mine out at Carlisle, an I couldn't be happier with it. If you can't get your car to him, I think you will be happy with one of his tops sent to you. They also have all the weather stripping available as well.

Good luck with your project.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 AM
DAN70
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C2Scho View Post
Dennis,
. Brooks Cooper out in Sperryville restored the frame before I dropped it off with Coffman's up at Carlisle.

C.J.
Fairfax, VA
WOW, I havenít heard Brooks name in years. Since he moved out to the country I havenít seen or heard much about him. Hope all is well with him....
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAN70 View Post

WOW, I havenít heard Brooks name in years. Since he moved out to the country I havenít seen or heard much about him. Hope all is well with him....
I usually call Brooks at least once a month or more to check up on him. Feel free to PM me and I can catch you up.

C.J.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 PM
smuggler85
CF Member

I think you'll be very happy with the kit from Al Knoch whether you have it installed or install it yourself. I sent my frame to Jerry Sullivan for restoration and refinishing with the intent of having the top installed locally. But since I live in the bush I couldn't find anyone with C2 experience so I decided to do it myself. Once armed with the Knock video and the appropriate tools it's not the difficult but does take patience and a bit more time (40 hours) than having a trim shop do it.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice work! Good looking '64. Dennis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for a convertible top supplier...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: