C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do You Belong to a Local Corvette Club?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As I mentioned before, I belong to a local car club and enjoy it. But actually, we kinda formed a Vette group of our own. Every time we go to a car show and meet somebody with a C1 or C2, we invite them to our group. I guess there are about 10 or 12 of us now and we get together every so often for a local drive, sit together at car shows and events, and learn about places that repair our cars. Very enjoyable and no ties.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I was in the local OKC Corvette Club when I got my first Stingray at 21 years old. Pretty fun back then, the newest Corvette would have been the 1982 models and the investors were already putting their no mileage Collector Editions on jackstands with mirrors underneath. Lotsa' gold chains, trophy wives and cigars. I was asked back a few years ago so I attended with my "new to me" '66 Coupe and I could see political infighting in the club, apparently the club "split" a few years back and both sides are still bitter about it.

I tried a "looser assembly" of Corvette owners and though most of them were newer (C5-C7's) they happily welcomed me, probably because of the novelty. I didn't mind keeping up with them on the interstate at 75 mph but I didn't like the reckless driving so that they could all stay together in one line. I gladly stayed at the back of the line. And then when one of the owner/member of one of the newer cars felt the need and superiority to block oncoming traffic so that all of the Corvettes could stay single file to turn into the restaurant parking lot together … I haven't been back.

I like my car but I don't want to act like this. This to me was a clear example of why some Corvette owners have a certain reputation to others out there on the road.

Ray (Clubless In Cleveland)
Ray,,
When were you in the OKC Corvette club? I should remember you. At one time, I was on the board of directors. I also dropped out for basically the same reasons.
I've had the 56 since 73.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ugh! Whenever I join a club or an organization and the leadership inevitably finds out I'm an IT guy; I'm suddenly responsible for the newletter, the member database, the web site sometimes, email outreach.... Happened when I was on our HOA and small town Planning & Zoning Committee....

I just don't need the responsibilities at this point...
Same experience here Frankie - when the Musclecar/Hot Rod club I joined discovered I was an engineer they assumed I must be good at math or accounting or something because they wanted me to audit their current Treasurers records and club account (go figure?). Before I knew it I was elected Treasurer for life. No kidding - virtually everyone else who was a member way back then has died except me. I just wanted to hang around with some car guys and do a Sonic cruise night every month.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

I've been asked to join a club, and I attended a few meetings. Just not my thing I guess, seemed too structured, hour of reading the past meeting minutes and voting for this or that, then 1hr meal and leave. They had all the cruises, but most seemed during the week when I worked.

In last year 5 of us who work in the architecture & engineering business for various companies who have vetts have been meeting for a morning breakfast before work about 4 times in last year. That seems like my kinda club.

Oh, and BTW, I own a C7, but I always lurk in you guys C1-C2 section because I love those cars, a 66 was my love at first site car. I enjoy all the resurrection and restomod threads. I've built hot rods, restored sports cars, just got rid of a 32 hot rod, and would love to restore a C1/2, but at almost 70yr old, I'll just read the threads now.

Quick Reply: Do You Belong to a Local Corvette Club?