Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C1] Convertible Top Installation

 
Old 01-24-2019, 09:31 AM
  #21  
62cruiseer
CF Senior Member
 
62cruiseer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 590
Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
Just talked to Al Knoch, for the next year they’re only doing Tennessee and Florida, so am actually thinking about trailering 600 miles to El Paso. Seems like overkill to me but better than $3500.

I've discussed C1 top installation with one of the gurus on this forum, who is too modest to toot his own horn. But, he told me that an Al Knock installation is top notch. In his area he is the Knoch go to installer. You might call Knoch and see if they have a preferred installer in your area, before scheduling with them. I wish I'd done that before letting the local corvette bubba shop do mine.

BH

Last edited by 62cruiseer; 01-24-2019 at 09:31 AM.
62cruiseer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 62cruiseer For This Useful Post:
59BlueSilver (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 AM
  #22  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 46,704
Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,549 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer View Post
I've discussed C1 top installation with one of the gurus on this forum, who is too modest to toot his own horn. But, he told me that an Al Knock installation is top notch. In his area he is the Knoch go to installer. You might call Knoch and see if they have a preferred installer in your area, before scheduling with them. I wish I'd done that before letting the local corvette bubba shop do mine.

BH
That is good advice. As to a first-time, DIY install....maybe with a vinyl top, but not with a $900 custom-color Stayfast top....
Doing on-the-job training with a big ticket item isn't wise IMO...and there ARE tricks that aren't in the video and NON-Corvette shops may not know.

Like the old-timer 2x4 trick...

FTF
Frankie the Fink is online now  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 AM
  #23  
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member
 
woodsdesign's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Posts: 2,638
Thanked 97 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Like Mike, I have also done over 100 C1 tops. I think 4 hours is pretty optimistic. If the top needs adjusting I could have several hours in just doing that. If you need frame rails straightened or bolts extracted make sure you have that done before you take it to AK. I don't think they do much of that at the shows. You may want to consider stripping the canvas and aligning before you make the trip.
If you decide to do it yourself I would be happy to walk you through it. I have done this for several forum members.
woodsdesign is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodsdesign For This Useful Post:
mike coletta (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
  #24  
hedgehead
CF Senior Member
 
hedgehead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Posts: 13,072
Thanked 103 Times in 91 Posts
Default

You better figure in getting the window post tabs repaired too.
hedgehead is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hedgehead For This Useful Post:
59BlueSilver (01-24-2019), jerry gollnick (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM
  #25  
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,944
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
I would like to have Al Knoch install it, he attends a couple of shows in Dallas per year. I donít know how difficult it is to schedule it with him.

That's what I did...at Texas Motor Speedway before one of the Good Guys car show I think.
I don't remember the cost...because it didn't matter at the time. I was just tired of dealing with it.
It was reasonable though...or I would have remembered, and no where near the prices you mentioned.
They do excellent work...and are very organized.
Just call AK and schedule an appointment...they''ll get it out in less than a day. I considered going to a Houston show...but just waited a few months till they came here.
I also seriously considered taking it to their El Paso facility ..they have good security there...and I would bet there's advantages to having a sewing machine on location if you have some really weird problem..LOL!

........................................ ......................................

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Stan's Customs is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM
  #26  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,637
Thanked 129 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Just got off the phone with Melanie of Al Knoch, guess who their preferred installer is??? And he was the only one! Might not be till next winter, but I think I’ll try it myself. The frame needs straightening and I need to do that before anybody does the top anyway( I can move metal). A forum member has offered to help me and with you guys help and video, I feel more confident. If it takes me a week, that’s okay, too. There was nothing on YouTube so I guess I’ll get one from Al.
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:31 PM
  #27  
Nick Bernier
CF Member
 
Nick Bernier's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 95
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
guess who their preferred installer is???
Uhhhhh, Jason??

Nick
Nick Bernier is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 PM
  #28  
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,944
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
Just got off the phone with Melanie of Al Knoch, guess who their preferred installer is??? And he was the only one! Might not be till next winter, but I think Iíll try it myself. The frame needs straightening and I need to do that before anybody does the top anyway( I can move metal). A forum member has offered to help me and with you guys help and video, I feel more confident. If it takes me a week, thatís okay, too. There was nothing on YouTube so I guess Iíll get one from Al.
Melanie is a gem...you always get 120% from her!
They don't install them at the El Paso Shop any more?
...and who is their preferred installer in FtW/Dallas?
Stan's Customs is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 PM
  #29  
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,944
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Did Melanie give you a quote..price?
Stan's Customs is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM
  #30  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,637
Thanked 129 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs View Post
Melanie is a gem...you always get 120% from her!
They don't install them at the El Paso Shop any more?
...and who is their preferred installer in FtW/Dallas?
Yes, they still install them in El Paso, but thatís over 600 miles from me! Yeah, Melanieís great. The preferred installer is the guy that quoted me $3500!
Itís inconceivable to me that in the DFW area of 7 million people we only have ONE good C1 installer! Unbelievable!
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 PM
  #31  
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,944
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post


Yes, they still install them in El Paso, but thatís over 600 miles from me! Yeah, Melanieís great. The preferred installer is the guy that quoted me $3500!
Itís inconceivable to me that in the DFW area of 7 million people we only have ONE good C1 installer! Unbelievable!
I gather you are avoiding the installers name...for whatever reason? I live in the area and would like to know what shop gave that quote. Maybe you could pm me the shop's name?

Also...did Melanie give you any idea what they would charge?

Yeah its a long way to El Paso...I considered it because I used to live in Midland ,and always liked El Paso...wouldn't mind visiting it again.

When you live out there it was loong way to everywhere. We use to drive over to San Angelo just to eat at Zentner's Daugter (steakhouse)on weekends..lol.
Stan's Customs is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM
  #32  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,637
Thanked 129 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs View Post
I gather you are avoiding the installers name...for whatever reason? I live in the area and would like to know what shop gave that quote. Maybe you could pm me the shop's name?

Also...did Melanie give you any idea what they would charge?

Yeah its a long way to El Paso...I considered it because I used to live in Midland ,and always liked El Paso...wouldn't mind visiting it again.

When you live out there it was loong way to everywhere. We use to drive over to San Angelo just to eat at Zentner's Daugter (steakhouse)on weekends..lol.
No problem, itís Jason Kramb at Motorcars Made Mint in Dallas. Melanie didnít tell me but itís listed on their site, around $900. If you hear of a good installer, Stan, please let me know.
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 PM
  #33  
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,944
Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post


No problem, it’s Jason Kramb at Motorcars Made Mint in Dallas. Melanie didn’t tell me but it’s listed on their site, around $900. If you hear of a good installer, Stan, please let me know.
The only good upholstery and top installer that I knew of...was bankrupted by his wife in a nasty divorce. I don't know what happened to him after she won the property...(he kept the classic cars). that's been 8 or 10 years ago.
Melanie's quote is close to what I paid in may of 2017..I found the invoice.
I paid AK $950 (labor only) ...and they did some extra window adjusting while the hard top was on, then installed the new soft top.
It was money well spent.
I guess I would have to make the trip to El Paso if that was the only way I could get them to work on my stuff.
El Paso/Juarez used to be full of upholstery shops...and the skilled labor available is probably why AK moved there from up north in the first place.
I don't know if they would let a customer check out the place...but I'd be surprised if they didn't. AK is pretty darn innotive and has a bunch of cool equipment to see if you could get the nickel tour.
I don't know if Juarez is safe for tourist these days ...but I've been across there several times, and always enjoyed it.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-24-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Stan's Customs is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM
  #34  
MOXIE62
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Thanked 157 Times in 139 Posts
Default

I've done 6 and still do not know what I was doing. The only problem is, around my area, no one else knows how to do them. I've put them on and they looked pretty good but could never get the windows right. Problem is, when you adjust the top frame to where the windows will go up and down and not hit, it all changes when the top goes on because they are so tight. You may as well do it yourself because once you have it on, and all looks good, once it's down tucked away for any length of time, the top will look like crap when up again. And they are so easy to pinch when in the lower position. If you can find an installer who will guarantee their work, that the top will look nice, fold up and down with no damage to top then go for it. This is really the wrong time of year to install unless you live in Florida. You need the sun heat. My experience has been with vinyl. Get the guy with the white vet and white top to do it. Looks super.
MOXIE62 is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 PM
  #35  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,637
Thanked 129 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MOXIE62 View Post
I've done 6 and still do not know what I was doing. The only problem is, around my area, no one else knows how to do them. I've put them on and they looked pretty good but could never get the windows right. Problem is, when you adjust the top frame to where the windows will go up and down and not hit, it all changes when the top goes on because they are so tight. You may as well do it yourself because once you have it on, and all looks good, once it's down tucked away for any length of time, the top will look like crap when up again. And they are so easy to pinch when in the lower position. If you can find an installer who will guarantee their work, that the top will look nice, fold up and down with no damage to top then go for it. This is really the wrong time of year to install unless you live in Florida. You need the sun heat. My experience has been with vinyl. Get the guy with the white vet and white top to do it. Looks super.
i have found the guy, ref. Post #6. But would you pay $3500?
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 AM
  #36  
MOXIE62
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,689
Thanked 157 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post


i have found the guy, ref. Post #6. But would you pay $3500?
No.
MOXIE62 is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:23 AM
  #37  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,637
Thanked 129 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Since I only have one choice for an expert installer in my area, what about others. El Paso is 600 miles away, but I could do Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, maybe even Houston. Anybody know of an expert in those cities?
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM
  #38  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 46,704
Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,549 Posts
Default

Your own Dallas news reported murders in Juarez reached 200 a month recently - I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it (and it does apparently)...read the US State Department Travel Advisories - its sobering...

Look, -- contact the local NCRS state/chapter and see who they use in the area....I'm sure not everybody trailers a car 1200 miles round trip to get a top installed...
Frankie the Fink is online now  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM
  #39  
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member
 
woodsdesign's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Posts: 2,638
Thanked 97 Times in 91 Posts
Default

You should call Coffman's Corvette in Mansfield, Ohio. (419 522 2246). You can sent your top there to be installed. They have tubs for each year. (stripped down bodies). So, they can get everything straightened and the canvas installed and ship it back to you. They also have every part you would need if something is beyond repair. Ask for Clint.
woodsdesign is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodsdesign For This Useful Post:
mike coletta (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
  #40  
vette61
CF Senior Member
 
vette61's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: Granbury TX
Posts: 366
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Have you tried these guys in Plano, Tx
https://www.deetrimshop.com/
vette61 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Convertible Top Installation


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: