C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Convertible Top Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Dee's is very close to me. I have not been there, but a close friend and former vette owner gives him high recommendations. I'll try to stop in there today and see what they have to say about doing my '57 top. Film at 11.
Nick
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Cancel that. Looks like they are closed Fri, Sat, Sun.
Nick
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vette61
Have you tried these guys in Plano, Tx
https://www.deetrimshop.com/
Yes, they’re the ones that screwed up my existing top!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Your own Dallas news reported murders in Juarez reached 200 a month recently - I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it (and it does apparently)...read the US State Department Travel Advisories - its sobering...

Look, -- contact the local NCRS state/chapter and see who they use in the area....I'm sure not everybody trailers a car 1200 miles round trip to get a top installed...
Cheez, that’s bad! Not wild about going there anyway with all the migration issues going on. Good idea, I’ll contact them, but I’ll bet anything they’re going to recommend the same guy, everybody else has. Will let you know.
The problem with Al Knoch’s recommendation is that he can only tell you who buys from him, he can’t tell you if they’re any good or not.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nick Bernier
Cancel that. Looks like they are closed Fri, Sat, Sun.
Nick
You’re better off! I’ll send you a private message explaining why.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:49 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Your own Dallas news reported murders in Juarez reached 200 a month recently - I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it (and it does apparently)...read the US State Department Travel Advisories - its sobering...

Mexico in general. An acquaintance, who is fairly wealthy, had a niece kidnapped for ransom in Mexico, south of Arizona, which is the route to Rocky Point, a well traveled tourist destination. Sent her family ears and otehr body parts. No ransom was paid, she was eventually murdered and dumped, which is what would have happened most likely if money was paid anyway.

I say no to Mexico. At least AKs facility is on the north side of I-10, so you are probably safe, there, though I would stay at least 500 yards from the border if you can help it in ElPaso.
Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-25-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Look, -- contact the local NCRS state/chapter and see who they use in the area....I'm sure not everybody trailers a car 1200 miles round trip to get a top installed...
I guess there's better places than Juarez to sight see these days while you're killing time!
Seems like we have 2 or 3 murders a week in DFW or some nut killing 6 or 7 at a time like last week...and that's in our back yard.

As mentioned though AK isn't in Mexico...and the road west is wide and fast...unlike headed south of DFW. It's crazy congestion...with construction and heavy traffic....forever.

I'd drive 600 miles west before I'd drive 400 miles south..especially pulling a trailer. Might take a couple of hours more, but it would be stress free miles with the cruise on...and Sirius playin' oldies. AND you would have the best installers anywhere working on your car...whatever that's worth.

........................................ ...............

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-25-2019 at 01:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:21 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Pretty sad when it costs you more for a soft top than it does for a hardtop!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

I contacted our local NCRS, they said they’d get back to me but they never did. Evidently you have to be a member or they won’t do anything for you. I know the people at the solid axle club and contacted them, they recommended only one and it’s the same guy.

Last edited by 59BlueSilver; 02-11-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a local trim shop (who said they knew how to do it) - screw it up royally. So I searched as you did and then finally decided to do It myself. I ended up removing the entire frame and realigning plus new top pads, tack strips and then the top. I used the AK video and It worked reasonably well. It certainly turned out much better than the one I paid for. I had some of the same issues mention: Window fit up, etc. Also you will pinch it if you are not carefully when lowering not storage area. I placed tape over the rear window trim bullets to minimize the issue. It is best to always store it with the top up! There are pro’s and cons to the AK top but the video was a good start. I talked with him personally and he was easy to deal with. He said they were working on a revised video, I’m not sure what the status of that might be.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy
I had a local trim shop (who said they knew how to do it) - screw it up royally. So I searched as you did and then finally decided to do It myself. I ended up removing the entire frame and realigning plus new top pads, tack strips and then the top. I used the AK video and It worked reasonably well. It certainly turned out much better than the one I paid for. I had some of the same issues mention: Window fit up, etc. Also you will pinch it if you are not carefully when lowering not storage area. I placed tape over the rear window trim bullets to minimize the issue. It is best to always store it with the top up! There are pro’s and cons to the AK top but the video was a good start. I talked with him personally and he was easy to deal with. He said they were working on a revised video, I’m not sure what the status of that might be.
I bet he said the F---ing top is to hard to put it on your F---ing self so get my F---ing video.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I bet he said the F---ing top is to hard to put it on your F---ing self so get my F---ing video.
I take it you've a similar reply from AK??
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 AM
carlisle61
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm doing my 56 right now using the video and taking my time. So far it is going as expected, but I am constantly coming into the house to review the video. If you are going to do it yourself get the video and then slow and easy.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Are you taking any pictures of your progress??
Nick
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by carlisle61
I'm doing my 56 right now using the video and taking my time. So far it is going as expected, but I am constantly coming into the house to review the video. If you are going to do it yourself get the video and then slow and easy.
Yes, I hope you’re taking pics and will share, particularly of areas of concern or difficulty.

Quick Reply: [C1] Convertible Top Installation