C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Convertible Top Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Just talked to Al Knoch, for the next year they’re only doing Tennessee and Florida, so am actually thinking about trailering 600 miles to El Paso. Seems like overkill to me but better than $3500.

I've discussed C1 top installation with one of the gurus on this forum, who is too modest to toot his own horn. But, he told me that an Al Knock installation is top notch. In his area he is the Knoch go to installer. You might call Knoch and see if they have a preferred installer in your area, before scheduling with them. I wish I'd done that before letting the local corvette bubba shop do mine.

BH

Last edited by Dreaming60’s; 01-24-2019 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
59BlueSilver (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
I've discussed C1 top installation with one of the gurus on this forum, who is too modest to toot his own horn. But, he told me that an Al Knock installation is top notch. In his area he is the Knoch go to installer. You might call Knoch and see if they have a preferred installer in your area, before scheduling with them. I wish I'd done that before letting the local corvette bubba shop do mine.

BH
That is good advice. As to a first-time, DIY install....maybe with a vinyl top, but not with a $900 custom-color Stayfast top....
Doing on-the-job training with a big ticket item isn't wise IMO...and there ARE tricks that aren't in the video and NON-Corvette shops may not know.

Like the old-timer 2x4 trick...

FTF
Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Like Mike, I have also done over 100 C1 tops. I think 4 hours is pretty optimistic. If the top needs adjusting I could have several hours in just doing that. If you need frame rails straightened or bolts extracted make sure you have that done before you take it to AK. I don't think they do much of that at the shows. You may want to consider stripping the canvas and aligning before you make the trip.
If you decide to do it yourself I would be happy to walk you through it. I have done this for several forum members.
mike coletta (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

You better figure in getting the window post tabs repaired too.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgehead:
59BlueSilver (01-24-2019), jerry gollnick (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I would like to have Al Knoch install it, he attends a couple of shows in Dallas per year. I don’t know how difficult it is to schedule it with him.

That's what I did...at Texas Motor Speedway before one of the Good Guys car show I think.
I don't remember the cost...because it didn't matter at the time. I was just tired of dealing with it.
It was reasonable though...or I would have remembered, and no where near the prices you mentioned.
They do excellent work...and are very organized.
Just call AK and schedule an appointment...they''ll get it out in less than a day. I considered going to a Houston show...but just waited a few months till they came here.
I also seriously considered taking it to their El Paso facility ..they have good security there...and I would bet there's advantages to having a sewing machine on location if you have some really weird problem..LOL!

........................................ ......................................

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-24-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 930 Likes on 532 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just got off the phone with Melanie of Al Knoch, guess who their preferred installer is??? And he was the only one! Might not be till next winter, but I think I’ll try it myself. The frame needs straightening and I need to do that before anybody does the top anyway( I can move metal). A forum member has offered to help me and with you guys help and video, I feel more confident. If it takes me a week, that’s okay, too. There was nothing on YouTube so I guess I’ll get one from Al.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

guess who their preferred installer is???
Uhhhhh, Jason??

Nick
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got off the phone with Melanie of Al Knoch, guess who their preferred installer is??? And he was the only one! Might not be till next winter, but I think I’ll try it myself. The frame needs straightening and I need to do that before anybody does the top anyway( I can move metal). A forum member has offered to help me and with you guys help and video, I feel more confident. If it takes me a week, that’s okay, too. There was nothing on YouTube so I guess I’ll get one from Al.
Melanie is a gem...you always get 120% from her!
They don't install them at the El Paso Shop any more?
...and who is their preferred installer in FtW/Dallas?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Did Melanie give you a quote..price?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Melanie is a gem...you always get 120% from her!
They don't install them at the El Paso Shop any more?
...and who is their preferred installer in FtW/Dallas?
Yes, they still install them in El Paso, but that’s over 600 miles from me! Yeah, Melanie’s great. The preferred installer is the guy that quoted me $3500!
It’s inconceivable to me that in the DFW area of 7 million people we only have ONE good C1 installer! Unbelievable!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, they still install them in El Paso, but that’s over 600 miles from me! Yeah, Melanie’s great. The preferred installer is the guy that quoted me $3500!
It’s inconceivable to me that in the DFW area of 7 million people we only have ONE good C1 installer! Unbelievable!
I gather you are avoiding the installers name...for whatever reason? I live in the area and would like to know what shop gave that quote. Maybe you could pm me the shop's name?

Also...did Melanie give you any idea what they would charge?

Yeah its a long way to El Paso...I considered it because I used to live in Midland ,and always liked El Paso...wouldn't mind visiting it again.

When you live out there it was loong way to everywhere. We use to drive over to San Angelo just to eat at Zentner's Daugter (steakhouse)on weekends..lol.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I gather you are avoiding the installers name...for whatever reason? I live in the area and would like to know what shop gave that quote. Maybe you could pm me the shop's name?

Also...did Melanie give you any idea what they would charge?

Yeah its a long way to El Paso...I considered it because I used to live in Midland ,and always liked El Paso...wouldn't mind visiting it again.

When you live out there it was loong way to everywhere. We use to drive over to San Angelo just to eat at Zentner's Daugter (steakhouse)on weekends..lol.
No problem, it’s Jason Kramb at Motorcars Made Mint in Dallas. Melanie didn’t tell me but it’s listed on their site, around $900. If you hear of a good installer, Stan, please let me know.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No problem, it’s Jason Kramb at Motorcars Made Mint in Dallas. Melanie didn’t tell me but it’s listed on their site, around $900. If you hear of a good installer, Stan, please let me know.
The only good upholstery and top installer that I knew of...was bankrupted by his wife in a nasty divorce. I don't know what happened to him after she won the property...(he kept the classic cars). that's been 8 or 10 years ago.
Melanie's quote is close to what I paid in may of 2017..I found the invoice.
I paid AK $950 (labor only) ...and they did some extra window adjusting while the hard top was on, then installed the new soft top.
It was money well spent.
I guess I would have to make the trip to El Paso if that was the only way I could get them to work on my stuff.
El Paso/Juarez used to be full of upholstery shops...and the skilled labor available is probably why AK moved there from up north in the first place.
I don't know if they would let a customer check out the place...but I'd be surprised if they didn't. AK is pretty darn innotive and has a bunch of cool equipment to see if you could get the nickel tour.
I don't know if Juarez is safe for tourist these days ...but I've been across there several times, and always enjoyed it.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 01-24-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I've done 6 and still do not know what I was doing. The only problem is, around my area, no one else knows how to do them. I've put them on and they looked pretty good but could never get the windows right. Problem is, when you adjust the top frame to where the windows will go up and down and not hit, it all changes when the top goes on because they are so tight. You may as well do it yourself because once you have it on, and all looks good, once it's down tucked away for any length of time, the top will look like crap when up again. And they are so easy to pinch when in the lower position. If you can find an installer who will guarantee their work, that the top will look nice, fold up and down with no damage to top then go for it. This is really the wrong time of year to install unless you live in Florida. You need the sun heat. My experience has been with vinyl. Get the guy with the white vet and white top to do it. Looks super.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I've done 6 and still do not know what I was doing. The only problem is, around my area, no one else knows how to do them. I've put them on and they looked pretty good but could never get the windows right. Problem is, when you adjust the top frame to where the windows will go up and down and not hit, it all changes when the top goes on because they are so tight. You may as well do it yourself because once you have it on, and all looks good, once it's down tucked away for any length of time, the top will look like crap when up again. And they are so easy to pinch when in the lower position. If you can find an installer who will guarantee their work, that the top will look nice, fold up and down with no damage to top then go for it. This is really the wrong time of year to install unless you live in Florida. You need the sun heat. My experience has been with vinyl. Get the guy with the white vet and white top to do it. Looks super.
i have found the guy, ref. Post #6. But would you pay $3500?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

i have found the guy, ref. Post #6. But would you pay $3500?
No.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:23 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Since I only have one choice for an expert installer in my area, what about others. El Paso is 600 miles away, but I could do Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, maybe even Houston. Anybody know of an expert in those cities?

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Installation

Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your own Dallas news reported murders in Juarez reached 200 a month recently - I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it (and it does apparently)...read the US State Department Travel Advisories - its sobering...

Look, -- contact the local NCRS state/chapter and see who they use in the area....I'm sure not everybody trailers a car 1200 miles round trip to get a top installed...
Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

You should call Coffman's Corvette in Mansfield, Ohio. (419 522 2246). You can sent your top there to be installed. They have tubs for each year. (stripped down bodies). So, they can get everything straightened and the canvas installed and ship it back to you. They also have every part you would need if something is beyond repair. Ask for Clint.
mike coletta (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM
vette61
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you tried these guys in Plano, Tx
https://www.deetrimshop.com/

Quick Reply: [C1] Convertible Top Installation