C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Radio side panel anti rattle bracket install

Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Radio side panel anti rattle bracket install

Guys,
I would like to re-attach the radio side panel brackets to my 65 shift plate console. Originally they were just peened over with the pot metal tit on the underside of the shift plate console. Mine came off years ago so the only support is where they are attached to the front. There isn't really any way to drill and tap for fear of drilling thru. I am thinking maybe some kind of really strong glue. ( I tried that once but it didn't hold )
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

That bracket always seemed unnecessary to me, and really complicated removing the console plate without dash pad damage. I've always pulled them off.

But the best approach to re-attaching them would be with JBWeld. Drill into the console as far as you dare and use the JBW to form a "rivet".

Last edited by Mike Geary; 01-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
That bracket always seemed unnecessary to me, and really complicated removing the console plate without dash pad damage. I've always pulled them off.

But the best approach to re-attaching them would be with JBWeld. Drill into the console as far as you dare and use the JBW to form a "rivet".
I use the center of a cool whip container lid, cut the outside edge off, and it makes a great shim to place between clip and dash pad as you remove console.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary

I always, when they were attached, took two pieces of plastic and put them against the dash pad when I pulled it out. I cut the plastic off of a heavy duty 3 ring binder cover.
I noticed that the panels would be kinda flimsy because there is no support there on my 65. They corrected this in 67 by attaching them on the front edge with a screw.
I have also noticed that some cars didn't include these clips. They were eliminated at sometime during production.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio side panel anti rattle bracket install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Radio side panel anti rattle bracket install