Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Correction C1 Chassis..Opinions?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Mikeacs

Default Corvette Correction C1 Chassis..Opinions?

Just returned home with a '59 project, and have spent most of the day planning and talking with chassis makers...The first two I called (Morrison and Roadster shop) have a 5 to 6 month wait, so I started looking at alternatives. Called 6 or 7 others and narrowed down to 3 that sounded promising. I finally spoke with Billy at CC, and I feel like he's a good fit for what I want..My basic plans are LS3 or L99, 6L80 auto and likely an IRS rear..I intend to drive to his place and drive one of his cars, but I wondered if someone who owns one could give me any input on how your car is setup and how it handles? Did you go IRS or solid axle? I believe 8.5 is the max wheel width...what diameter and wheel offsets did you go with? Thanks for any input..!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 AM
roadster65
CF Senior Member

Hi Mikeacs - slalomfiend has a build here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ct-update.html … where he is grafting the ends of a later chassis to an earlier chassis - it might help with some ideas that could translate into you re-build - some food for thought - Cheers GV

Last edited by roadster65; 01-26-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: macros
Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,531 Posts

You should PM Mike Coletta; he has used a ton of Billy Dawson's chassis under C1s....
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
62cruiseer (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 AM
mike coletta
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
You should PM Mike Coletta; he has used a ton of Billy Dawson's chassis under C1s....
Call me if you like. I'm happy to discuss my builds using the Corvette Correction chassis. Mike Coletta 352-241-4686
The Following User Says Thank You to mike coletta For This Useful Post:
Mikeacs (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 AM
cbernhardt
CF Senior Member

I used one of Billy Dawson's frames on my '59. C4 suspension front and rear. 8.5" x 17", 7Ē backspace, C5 wheels in front. I widened the rear 2.5" in the rear, but the 8.5" C5 wheels will fit (close) in the stock body.
I chose his frame because:
1. The center section of the frame is wide open, so I could easily fit a 4L80E transmission and a set of home made equal length headers.
2. The frame is made of rectangular tubing, and I felt much better about welding in a roll cage on this tubing as opposed to round tubing, plus the rectangular tubing is much easier to keep clean.
3. I looked at several SRIII tube frame cars and all of them sat too low to the ground for my tastes, but perhaps this is just the way they were set up.
4. Billy is a really good guy!

The attached picture shows the 8.5" C5 wheels on the rear during construction before the flares were added.
Here is a link to my build: http://www.carols62.com/59

Charles
The Following User Says Thank You to cbernhardt For This Useful Post:
Mikeacs (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM
CaptainEgg
CF Member

Just curious, what's all the tape on the door for?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM
cbernhardt
CF Senior Member

When I built the rear fender flares I used strips of vinyl to smooth the last layer of fiberglass. The tape held the vinyl in place. In the picture below you can see the vertical "stripes" where the vinyl was used.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:17 PM
Ken Sungela
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If you're picky about what wheels your want, I would choose those first. Then determine what suspension (c4,5,6,7, custom) and chassis will accommodate your choice of wheels. It would be best if you drove a car with your choice of suspension/chassis first. Sometimes people don't like the firmness you get with one package or another. The larger diameter wheels require shorter profile tires which improve handling, but create a firmer ride. Its all a balancing act between looks, performance, and cost.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Mikeacs

Thanks for the replies..I called Billy today and confirmed the order. He offered to have me come drive his cars, which says a lot to me... Plus he may be able to get the chassis out by the end of Feb, not bad at all..I also found out from Billy that the 6L80 trans I had planned on using may have an issue with clearance due to the lower engine trans mounting in the chassis, so I guess it will be a 4L60...And Thanks Mike Coletta...I will be in touch !
Mike..
Old 01-26-2019, 03:34 PM
65silververt
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a corvette correction on a 59 restomod that I purchased a few years ago to flip. It drove and handled very well. Not the best chassis if you plan to build the car to sell, but perfect if you plan to keep and enjoy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 65silververt For This Useful Post:
appelen (01-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Rich Yanulis
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65silververt View Post
I had a corvette correction on a 59 restomod that I purchased a few years ago to flip. It drove and handled very well. Not the best chassis if you plan to build the car to sell, but perfect if you plan to keep and enjoy it.
Would you please clarify your above comment.
Are you talking about the cost/price? Or something else?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2019, 04:07 PM
jspan123
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes please clarify!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:26 PM
65silververt
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis View Post
Would you please clarify your above comment.
Are you talking about the cost/price? Or something else?
Thanks
itís an c4 suspension chassis. People buying high dollar restomods want the latest suspension.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:21 PM
Robert61
CF Senior Member

An older Corvette Corrections car hammered at about $126,000 I think it was. That's an 11 year old build so I feel like they are holding up fairly well price wise. This was advertised as Billy's personal car. But obviously 1984-96 suspension is certainly not the latest thing. But I'm in the keep and drive group and in just a few years when they are clamoring for even later still I'm still going to be driving the C4. For that matter I still have a C4.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Rich Yanulis
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65silververt View Post

itís an c4 suspension chassis. People buying high dollar restomods want the latest suspension.
Thank You for you comment.

I am out of my league........
I had no idea that a Restomod utilizing a C4 suspension was already considered outdated.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM
jspan123
Support Corvetteforum!

C7 being the latest suspension offering for these vintage beauties doesn't include magnetic ride control. Therefore since
most of these cars are set up lowered, the ride isn't what you might think is similar to a newer C7.
Considering then, the older C4 and C5 set up still is a viable choice for a pro touring car which most of these
$200-300K cars are used for. My opinion, all a matter of perception. Also I agree a thread based upon the merits of
the Frame builders out there would be informative.
The Following User Says Thank You to jspan123 For This Useful Post:
62cruiseer (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 PM
65silververt
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jspan123 View Post
C7 being the latest suspension offering for these vintage beauties doesn't include magnetic ride control. Therefore since
most of these cars are set up lowered, the ride isn't what you might think is similar to a newer C7.
Considering then, the older C4 and C5 set up still is a viable choice for a pro touring car which most of these
$200-300K cars are used for. My opinion, all a matter of perception. Also I agree a thread based upon the merits of
the Frame builders out there would be informative.
I wonít argue with that! Buyers just want to see that it has the latest. C4 suspension is quite old though. Some chassisí, like the roadster shop unit only use the spindles and tie rod links from a c6 or c7. Others utilize all the control arms, spindles and hubs, and yet some use the spindles, hubs, control arms, rear end and axles. The ride quality varies from chassis to chassis, but from what Iíve observed, they all handle very well. Again, if you are attempting to make money off a car, you better go with the big name with the latest suspension though. If someone reads c4, they are going to think of a car from the eighties to early nineties.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Robert61
CF Senior Member

Eventually a builder or builders, just like in the race engine world, is going to start having everything made billet from scratch. That might put a damper on C whatever number you want to insert suspension being an issue at all. Especially if they could sell the components themselves that would help defray the initial cost. One of the promod engine builders builds their entire engine billet from scratch. They manufacture every piece. The same may happen in the restomod chassis world. I could well imagine the high end buyer saying yeah I've got to have me one of them!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 AM
Stan's Customs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert61 View Post
An older Corvette Corrections car hammered at about $126,000 I think it was. That's an 11 year old build so I feel like they are holding up fairly well price wise. This was advertised as Billy's personal car. But obviously 1984-96 suspension is certainly not the latest thing. But I'm in the keep and drive group and in just a few years when they are clamoring for even later still I'm still going to be driving the C4. For that matter I still have a C4.
Which car was this?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 AM
mike coletta
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs View Post
Which car was this?
Stan,
It was the pewter 62 with the oxblood interior. I think he built it around 2008

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Correction C1 Chassis..Opinions?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: