C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Felt adhesion for door glass runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Via
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Felt adhesion for door glass runner

Does anyone have suggestions for applying felt to the rear door glass run on a 1957 Corvette? I have some contact cement, but I am concerned that it might not allow enough time to move it into place before drying.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Fit felt into the channel...insert a shorter piece of wood leaving one end open to apply glue...after all set to glue in place...clamp the wood with c-clamp or vice grips....now glue the end of the felt to the channel....after dried...remove wood and apply glue to finish the job...insert wood and re-clamp...let dry and trim excess felt...

Hope this helps...
The following users liked this post:
Via (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I use spray contact adhesive. Clamp the track in a vise. Spray the channel and the back of the felt until it's wet. WHILE IT'S WET, fold in half lengthwise, and "saw" it into the channel QUICKLY. I use a 12" long 3/8" drive extension to run in the channel, and set the felt. Trim, an make sure that you leave about 1" at the top to fold over all three sides.
Via (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:04 PM
Via
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
I use spray contact adhesive. Clamp the track in a vise. Spray the channel and the back of the felt until it's wet. WHILE IT'S WET, fold in half lengthwise, and "saw" it into the channel QUICKLY. I use a 12" long 3/8" drive extension to run in the channel, and set the felt. Trim, an make sure that you leave about 1" at the top to fold over all three sides.
I'm going to try your method. I have a can of contact cement and was worried that it would set before I could get it in place, causing a mess. Your idea of a spray adhesive and applying it to both (as normal with contact adhesive) and putting it together while still wet, and "sawing it in" to keep it moving, and using a 3/8" extension seems the way to go. I'll look for the spray adhesive. Do you have a brand name?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Via
I'm going to try your method. I have a can of contact cement and was worried that it would set before I could get it in place, causing a mess. Your idea of a spray adhesive and applying it to both (as normal with contact adhesive) and putting it together while still wet, and "sawing it in" to keep it moving, and using a 3/8" extension seems the way to go. I'll look for the spray adhesive. Do you have a brand name?
I use 3M Headliner and fabric adhesive 38808, but 3m hi-strength 90 (which can be purchased at the box stores) would work great.
Via (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That glued over inch on top is important so the flet doesn't get snagged and "roll up" in the channel...

Via (01-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Felt adhesion for door glass runner

Quick Reply: Felt adhesion for door glass runner