C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frankie's road ding repair method

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

On sanding the touch up flush using sandpaper wrapped around a popcycle stick - in the last year or so, a forum member (I forget who) recommended wrapping a layer of masking tape around the stick on both sides of the sandpaper. The tape rides the paint surface and holds the thickness of the sandpaper level with the surrounding paint - so you don't accidently sand a divot in the surface while flattening the touch up. Very simplistic but brilliant suggestion.

Thanks for the thread Frankie.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 01-28-2019 at 04:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
64SilverbluePhx (01-28-2019), Frankie the Fink (01-28-2019), GTOguy (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Frankie great idea I pretty much do the same thing . The only problem I have is PPG Paints venders scan your paint and they refuse to add a little extra to left or right to make a perfect match I think it's kind of lazy of them to do that if it's a pain that they took care of the computer no problem but if you take like my truck up there and have him match it they won't stray Too Much
Just to be fair to the companies that have the cameras for color matching...

It has nothing to do with IF they take care of the camera....that is not the issue. The camera is only taking a photo of the color and comparing it to thousands of colors in the database and it find one as close as possible. Using a camera like this is NO GUARANTEE that the color will be perfect.

And it honestly is not that they are lazy...but unless a person is paying someone to custom tint color....or are lucky where the paint shop WILL tint it the best they can because it can take a while to get the color right. And I am only saying this is because I do color matching and it can go somewhat easy or take a LONG TIME depending if the color is going to be shot and blended out or if it is going to be used for a panel that is beign butt-matched....or touch up paint. Not everyone has a good eye for color and can see what a color needs to be tinted to match a color.

ALSO...keep in mind these cars are painted in a SOLID color and not metallic colors. When touching up a metallic color.... the rules change due to the color will not NORMALLY be able to be applied in a thick state of viscosity to match the color when the paint was atomized and applied on the car....which makes the color lighter when it is sprayed.

Nice thread Frankie. Good job and it should help many who want to venture into touching up some chips and see what it takes.

The thread below shows a color being tinted to match to those who may be interested...You can look at the whole thread ( which is really good) or start at post #39 and go from there. And by the way...the camera was used and the first test panel is the best one it found in the database,...then the tinting began form there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-inside-3.html

DUB
The following users liked this post:
64SilverbluePhx (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Great thread with detailed descriptions accompanied by pictures and what to expect for results.
Thanks Frankie and to those that have also contributed.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 AM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Excellent write up! You read my mind. Thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 01:08 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Default PDF file is attached

With Frankie's approval, the PDF version of the thread is attached.
Thanks Frank!
Dave Z
The following 5 users liked this post by DZVette:
64SilverbluePhx (01-29-2019), Dreaming60’s (01-29-2019), Frankie the Fink (01-30-2019), hob1 (04-10-2019), Technite73 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Just to add to Franks' excellent explanation, the tool requires a heavy enough viscosity so that it will NOT "run out" the tip. This "brush" works on contact, and the paint is held in the cup the same way that you can hold water in a straw by putting your finger over the end. The paint in the cup HOLDS the paint in the tip from dripping out, until you touch the surface. Practice on something before you start. The best thing about it, is that you can keep "touching" the chip, and fill it right to the edges with no "over the edge" blobs. Usually, the automotive paint "right out of the can" is a good viscosity. If you're using basecoat, make sure that you add some clear, or you'll end up with a dull spot.
Do you add clear to the paint or apply it on top after it is dry?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Do you add clear to the paint or apply it on top after it is dry?
It can be done either way. I generally put it on top of the paint ...just like how the car is painted...IF it has clear on it...but it is not always necessary...which is WHY you test it before you go out to you car adn put it on it..

Because some colors...when clear is applied on it...a good trained eye can see the depth of the clear ON top of the paint...even on a solid color like red....so IF you are trying to get it so it is really not noticeable...then putting the clear on your paint is what it needed.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
mike coletta (01-30-2019), woodsdesign (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I really like the applicator and have never seen one before. Thanks. Gonna get me one!
After putting the paint in the chip and building it up with repeats, I like to use Langka Blob Eliminator to level the repaired paint. More pricey than sandpaper and water but works very well for an undetectable repair. Dave
http://www.langka.com/

Last edited by dkleather; 01-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.
64SilverbluePhx (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
I really like the applicator and have never seen one before. Thanks. Gonna get me one!
After putting the paint in the chip and building it up with repeats, I like to use Langka Blob Eliminator to level the repaired paint. More pricey than sandpaper and water but works very well for an undetectable repair. Dave
http://www.langka.com/
Blob eliminator is a "thinner" or "reducer" that is a proprietary chemical for their paint products. My point is, that if you're using some other brand of touch up paint, it might not work. I think that their product is acrylic based, so the blob eliminator will only smear a solvent based paint, and won't remove it.

Last edited by mike coletta; 01-30-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks Frankie and others. I bought that paint applicator a year ago along with various sandpapers up to 5,000 grit but wasn’t sure how to use them. Now I do.

Steve
Old 01-30-2019, 06:50 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thread of the year and its only January.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've used the method above on my Magnetic Gray 2013 Tundra with metallic paint using one of the Autozone touch up color-match brush bottles... on a LONG scratch with primer showing through.. Its nearly undetectable, even though its metallic, because of how dark it is I suspect and how thin the scratch was; a lighter metallic would have shown no doubt... I did sand through the clear in a small spot that was (fortunately) covered up later on when I added fender flares to the truck.. I suspect the clear coat on modern car is super thin and not like our resprayed classics.

Also, I've used the Langra kit with the Blob Eliminator a lot on my '61....it does just "OK" IMO.. A lot depends on how long you let the paint dry before smoothing, your technique and other factors. Often the "T" shirt wrapped around the little plastic card coated with the Blob Eliminator "pulls" the uncured paint out of the repair of leaves it un-level and/or dull. I'd say 1 out of 5 fixes I've used it on come out to my satisfaction. It could just be me though. I switched to using JUST the plastic card flat against the paint NOT swaddled in cloth with just a bit of the Blob Eliminator on the card's surface to swipe across the repair. Works a bit better in my opinion.

As I said above - the good news is that you wipe everything off and start over with no harm done.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-30-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The wooden coffee stirrer sticks you can get at the grocery store might be a good choice for very small repairs. They’re only 6 mm wide vs. 10 mm for the “popsicle” craft sticks. They’re also only 1 mm thick vs. 2 mm for the craft sticks. Being more flexible, they may prevent putting too much pressure when sanding.

Steve
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 AM
DUB
Race Director

I can say that even though touching up a metallic paint CAN be done.. Generally those of us who do this work or have done it KNOW that taking the exact same paint that we just used to paint the car adn try to touch it up with a brush or what ever method discussed here OFTEN times does not go as seamless as we might think.

Seeign how you guys are looking for different method of sanding down th blob or build up due ot it is goingot be ther due ot no one can aopoply the aopitn adn clear on wher it does not need some attention to make it perfect.

I have different ways of doing that mthatmay help for thsioe who may want toinvest in them

I have used the Mequiars professional unigrit sanding block. I have the K1000 and the K2000 and they work like a charm. ESPECIALLY for those painters who may have a run or sag in the clear. They can hone it to perfection where you literally cannot tell the run or sag or blob was there. Because those of us who have done this KNOW that when sanding out a run or a sag DOES take some attention due to you can easily warble the area an make it look worst if you rush it and do not take your time.

ALSO....one more trick for you guys painting. Instead of wrapping the paper around a stick. I cut the sand paper in thin strips and put it on the area...then I set my stick or block on the area I want to hone down and PULL the paper under it. How wide or narrow you cut your sandpaper is all up to you. The amount of pressure is up to you.

I also take these strips of sanding paper and set the sandpaper on the speck and put my fingertip right ON the small speck of trash or whatever and pull the paper. I can control the amount of pressure and hone down that small speck of trash and NOT have to worry about the surrounding areas being effected.

DUB
The following 3 users liked this post by DUB:
64SilverbluePhx (01-30-2019), dkleather (01-30-2019), Frankie the Fink (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Metallic paint is a whole other topic - repairs take some luck and its more art than science...

The pressure of the gun that sprayed the paint, the distance from the surface, the way the metallic flakes "roll" when applied...hard to reproduce...you may think a fix looks good until it gets under some bright light....then the chips reflect differently and the repair is obvious.....for anything large for these paints a pro may be the ticket.

The intent of the thread was for the home guy just trying to keep his car from looking awful...

I ordered some of those Mequiar sanding pads - a bit pricey but I'll try 'em...

I'm working on that one small ding on the front of the hood that is shown in the first post illustrating the paint pen above....the freakin' invisible bra didn't save me on that one... Something bounced off the road and came down on the front of the unprotected hood. I may add that fix to this thread if I get motivated...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-30-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:51 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The intent of the thread was for the home guy just trying to keep his car from looking awful...

I ordered some of those Mequiar sanding pads - a bit pricey but I'll try 'em...
Frankie,
Your thread has SUCCUSSFULLY achieved what you intended it to do. GREAT THREAD Frankie!!!!!!!! Your time and effort was went spent.

How person gets their repair to look is up to them and it may go easy or may not go as well as how yours went.

Yes..we agree that touching up metallic paint is much like golfing and coming to a par 3 hole. Even though there are people who get a hole in one on them...the percentage of those that do not is much greater. So...touching up metallic paint an doing it just one time...right out of the bottle.... is like hitting a hole in one on a par 3 hole.

YES...those sanding blocks are kind of expensive...but they last for long time and I am a bit of a 'tool *****' anyway so it is just something I felt I needed to spend money on instead of beer or mixed drinks and dessert at a restaurant.

DUB
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM
yetayrick
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Type of Paint Used

Hey Frankie, What exactly type of paint did you use? New owner to a C1 and I need to do touch up as you did. I see you said "single stage" but is it a lacquer or acrylic something? thanks yetayrick

Get notified of new replies

To Frankie's road ding repair method

Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

My touch up paint is single stage urethane from the same lot the car was painted with. Used as described above without hardener. Pretty much an ideal situation.
yetayrick (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 AM
yetayrick
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So you went to an automotive paint supplier and had them match it...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by yetayrick
So you went to an automotive paint supplier and had them match it...
That’s an option. In my case I had leftover paint from the car’s complete respray.
yetayrick (02-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Frankie's road ding repair method