Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 AM
Larry Phipps

Default 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

I can't determine what is wrong with the alignment on my power steering pump. When tightened, the cap is against the bolt that holds the brackets. There is no way to remove the cap without removing alternator and loosening the PS pump. Anything obvious to anyone?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 AM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Power Steering Unit Alignment in an L71

Larry,

I also have a 67 L71 with power steering. My car is currently up in the air on my 4 post lift as we are in the process of removing/repairing one of the headlight motors. Unless someone on the Forum beats me to it, as soon as I get a chance (hopefully today) I will lower the car down and snap some pictures of that exact area of the power steering attachment portion of the motor and post them pics so that you can compare and see what your problem might be. I have no issues with either belt alignment or with getting the cap off of the power steering unit. Hang in there.

C.J.

Last edited by C2Scho; 01-31-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: To improve the layout
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM
ben dover
CF Senior Member

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. TX
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Wrong length belt?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Larry Phipps

Thanks. Look forward to seeing them. I'm jealous. A lift !!!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Larry Phipps

I don't think so. I put all new belts (suppose to be correct) on it when redoing the cooling system last season. Besides, full adjustment on the PS pump wouldn't get the cap away from the mounting bolt.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Tampa Jerry
CF Senior Member

Default Bolt

If it is just the bolt that is in the way, consider removing the lock washer and using a star washer. You could also add a dab of LockTite blue on the bolt. That should give you the necessary clearance you need. Jerry
The Following User Says Thank You to Tampa Jerry For This Useful Post:
Larry Phipps (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 PM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not exactly BB educated, but I'll take a shot. If the forward pulley on the PS pump is empty, using a longer belt on the pump will allow the pump to move outboard. As is, even removing the lock washer, would not let the cap be removed because, as I see it the bracket is also in the way. Dennis
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Avispa
CF Senior Member

The brackets and bolts look correct, including the lock washer under the bolt that holds the pump bracket/alternator bracket/reinforcing strap. You might have the wrong pump reservoir even if the pump itself is correct. There is at least one thread by 1cerberus4u having one really bad time converting his 65 BB to power steering. Apparently some pump reservoirs don't have as much forward tilt to the upper part where the cap fits, and the fluid return hose fitting has different orientations for the various reservoirs. You might want to check that thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-lengths.html
and a companion thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Larry Phipps

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67 View Post
I'm not exactly BB educated, but I'll take a shot. If the forward pulley on the PS pump is empty, using a longer belt on the pump will allow the pump to move outboard. As is, even removing the lock washer, would not let the cap be removed because, as I see it the bracket is also in the way. Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. The forward pulley on the PS pump is being used by the alternator. I'm not sure if removing the lock washer would help, but I suffer from trying to be a purist and put it back as close to factory as possible. From the info I've read and diagrams I've looked at, the lock washer is supposed to be there. It would clear the bracket. I think it's just the angle that the photo was taken that makes it look that way. I may have to remove the lock washer to try it, but I just feel like something else is wrong. I suspected maybe the pump was incorrect and someone could spot it from the photo.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Larry Phipps

Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
The brackets and bolts look correct, including the lock washer under the bolt that holds the pump bracket/alternator bracket/reinforcing strap. You might have the wrong pump reservoir even if the pump itself is correct. There is at least one thread by 1cerberus4u having one really bad time converting his 65 BB to power steering. Apparently some pump reservoirs don't have as much forward tilt to the upper part where the cap fits, and the fluid return hose fitting has different orientations for the various reservoirs. You might want to check that thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-lengths.html
and a companion thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Avispa, thanks for the links. I've checked them out. I appreciate confirmation on the proper bracket, bolts and lock washer. I suspected the pump/pump reservoir as potentially incorrect. I was curious if some had more tilt forward that others. When I bought the car, the water pump and pulley were incorrect and that's been corrected. I'm almost certain I checked the PS pulley number at the same time I had it apart. I don't know if the pump or reservoir have numbers on them, but I guess the next step would be to remove them and somehow verify they are correct.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:20 PM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 67 L71 Power Steering Alignment Issues

Hi Larry,

I lowered the car down and snapped some pics that I hope will help you. Maybe you have the wrong pump as some have suggested since it is so different from my setup and appears to be set way too high up. Hope these pics help. I cannot take any pictures from underneath because I have my slide jack holding the front of the car up (had to take the front wheels off to remove the bumpers and grill) so cannot get a good angle on any pictures from underneath my car to the bottom of the power steering pump.

Hope these help.

C.J.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:30 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Maybe the picture angle but that first picture shows the belt on the right side to be running at an angle compared to the edge of the pulley.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:44 PM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, it does look like it in the picture but it is a result of the angle I had the cell phone when I took the pictures. All of the belts align perfectly when viewed by the naked eye and straight on. I was just trying to get as much as I could into the pictures to help Larry understand what his problem might be.

Thanks.

C.J.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 PM
Larry Phipps

C.J.,

Thanks very much!! It does appear that your pump reservoir sits out further from the block and is shorter neck than the one in my car. If it's not too much trouble, could you provide a couple of dimensions? (1) from edge of cap to the bolt where mine is contacting & (2) the height of the reservoir neck with cap on.

I'm betting that's my problem.

Cheers, Larry
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Larry,

It is a little difficult to gauge with my alternator still on the car but with a tape measure it is approximately 3 inches from the highest point of the curve of the main reservoir of the power steering unit up along the neck to the top of the cap. From the edge of my cap to the head of the bolt in question it is approximately half an inch of clearance. My cap is about the same height as the bolt or maybe just a little bit higher (quarter of an inch) up than the top edge of the bolt head. There is no interference at all with taking my cap off to add power steering fluid (if necessary).

So maybe your pump is correct after all and it is just some type of alignment problem that you are dealing with.

C.J.

C.J.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

Hi Larry,

I was able to get a better picture taken from the driver's side of the top of the pump/the cap and the bolt in question. You can better see the distances and the height I believe. I hope this helps.

C.J.

Last edited by C2Scho; 02-01-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Larry Phipps

Originally Posted by C2Scho View Post
Hi Larry,

I was able to get a better picture taken from the driver's side of the top of the pump/the cap and the bolt in question. You can better see the distances and the height I believe. I hope this helps.

C.J.
C.J.,
Thanks very much for the dimensions and photos. This last picture from the driver's side is really helpful. I will remove the pump this weekend and see what's going on with it. It appears that the reservoir neck isn't angled out properly. I have no idea if GM make different versions of these pumps. It appears the same pump was used on Corvettes from '63 through '74. Good weekend, Larry
Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 AM
C2Scho
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Larry,

I was perusing the Forum and read response #12 by GUSTO14 which may help to answer the question as to why your filler neck is so close to the bolt. It appears that some of the filler necks are actually tilted. It looks from his response that there were actually multiple pumps available with slight variations. You may have one of those variations.

C.J.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4218392-power-steering-pumps.html

Last edited by C2Scho; 02-03-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: to correct the layout
Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Larry Phipps

Originally Posted by C2Scho View Post
Hi Larry,

I was perusing the Forum and read response #12 by GUSTO14 which may help to answer the question as to why your filler neck is so close to the bolt. It appears that some of the filler necks are actually tilted. It looks from his response that there were actually multiple pumps available with slight variations. You may have one of those variations.

C.J.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4218392-power-steering-pumps.html
C.J., That thread is very relevant. I appreciate you forwarding the link. I didn't get time to remove the pump this weekend. With the nice weather we had, the family had a different opinion of how we should be spending time, and it didn't include me camped out in the basement garage. I did spend some time trying to find vitiations of the reservoir at the typical Corvette reproduction supply houses, but everyone seems to have one reservoir fits all for the mid years. I'll jump on there and see if anyone can point me to a source.

Larry
Old 02-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I did a Google search, ('63-'67 Corvette PS pump) and found pics of two different pumps on Parts Geek web site. One had a housing that was oval shaped body and a tall neck like yours, the second had a perimid body, and a short tower neck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluestripe67 For This Useful Post:
C2Scho (02-08-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: