C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 AM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

I can't determine what is wrong with the alignment on my power steering pump. When tightened, the cap is against the bolt that holds the brackets. There is no way to remove the cap without removing alternator and loosening the PS pump. Anything obvious to anyone?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wrong length belt?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. Look forward to seeing them. I'm jealous. A lift !!!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think so. I put all new belts (suppose to be correct) on it when redoing the cooling system last season. Besides, full adjustment on the PS pump wouldn't get the cap away from the mounting bolt.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Bolt

If it is just the bolt that is in the way, consider removing the lock washer and using a star washer. You could also add a dab of LockTite blue on the bolt. That should give you the necessary clearance you need. Jerry
The following users liked this post:
Larry Phipps (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'm not exactly BB educated, but I'll take a shot. If the forward pulley on the PS pump is empty, using a longer belt on the pump will allow the pump to move outboard. As is, even removing the lock washer, would not let the cap be removed because, as I see it the bracket is also in the way. Dennis
Old 01-31-2019, 01:04 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

The brackets and bolts look correct, including the lock washer under the bolt that holds the pump bracket/alternator bracket/reinforcing strap. You might have the wrong pump reservoir even if the pump itself is correct. There is at least one thread by 1cerberus4u having one really bad time converting his 65 BB to power steering. Apparently some pump reservoirs don't have as much forward tilt to the upper part where the cap fits, and the fluid return hose fitting has different orientations for the various reservoirs. You might want to check that thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-lengths.html
and a companion thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Old 01-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I'm not exactly BB educated, but I'll take a shot. If the forward pulley on the PS pump is empty, using a longer belt on the pump will allow the pump to move outboard. As is, even removing the lock washer, would not let the cap be removed because, as I see it the bracket is also in the way. Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. The forward pulley on the PS pump is being used by the alternator. I'm not sure if removing the lock washer would help, but I suffer from trying to be a purist and put it back as close to factory as possible. From the info I've read and diagrams I've looked at, the lock washer is supposed to be there. It would clear the bracket. I think it's just the angle that the photo was taken that makes it look that way. I may have to remove the lock washer to try it, but I just feel like something else is wrong. I suspected maybe the pump was incorrect and someone could spot it from the photo.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Avispa
The brackets and bolts look correct, including the lock washer under the bolt that holds the pump bracket/alternator bracket/reinforcing strap. You might have the wrong pump reservoir even if the pump itself is correct. There is at least one thread by 1cerberus4u having one really bad time converting his 65 BB to power steering. Apparently some pump reservoirs don't have as much forward tilt to the upper part where the cap fits, and the fluid return hose fitting has different orientations for the various reservoirs. You might want to check that thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-lengths.html
and a companion thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Avispa, thanks for the links. I've checked them out. I appreciate confirmation on the proper bracket, bolts and lock washer. I suspected the pump/pump reservoir as potentially incorrect. I was curious if some had more tilt forward that others. When I bought the car, the water pump and pulley were incorrect and that's been corrected. I'm almost certain I checked the PS pulley number at the same time I had it apart. I don't know if the pump or reservoir have numbers on them, but I guess the next step would be to remove them and somehow verify they are correct.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:30 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Maybe the picture angle but that first picture shows the belt on the right side to be running at an angle compared to the edge of the pulley.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

C.J.,

Thanks very much!! It does appear that your pump reservoir sits out further from the block and is shorter neck than the one in my car. If it's not too much trouble, could you provide a couple of dimensions? (1) from edge of cap to the bolt where mine is contacting & (2) the height of the reservoir neck with cap on.

I'm betting that's my problem.

Cheers, Larry
Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Scho
Hi Larry,

I was able to get a better picture taken from the driver's side of the top of the pump/the cap and the bolt in question. You can better see the distances and the height I believe. I hope this helps.

C.J.
C.J.,
Thanks very much for the dimensions and photos. This last picture from the driver's side is really helpful. I will remove the pump this weekend and see what's going on with it. It appears that the reservoir neck isn't angled out properly. I have no idea if GM make different versions of these pumps. It appears the same pump was used on Corvettes from '63 through '74. Good weekend, Larry
Old 02-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2Scho
Hi Larry,

I was perusing the Forum and read response #12 by GUSTO14 which may help to answer the question as to why your filler neck is so close to the bolt. It appears that some of the filler necks are actually tilted. It looks from his response that there were actually multiple pumps available with slight variations. You may have one of those variations.

C.J.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4218392-power-steering-pumps.html
C.J., That thread is very relevant. I appreciate you forwarding the link. I didn't get time to remove the pump this weekend. With the nice weather we had, the family had a different opinion of how we should be spending time, and it didn't include me camped out in the basement garage. I did spend some time trying to find vitiations of the reservoir at the typical Corvette reproduction supply houses, but everyone seems to have one reservoir fits all for the mid years. I'll jump on there and see if anyone can point me to a source.

Larry
Old 02-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I did a Google search, ('63-'67 Corvette PS pump) and found pics of two different pumps on Parts Geek web site. One had a housing that was oval shaped body and a tall neck like yours, the second had a perimid body, and a short tower neck.
C2Scho (02-08-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the pump off and compared it to a pump that appears to be original that came off my 65. The neck angle and height appears to be very close to the same. I am sure the second one ('67) is a reproduction.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Larry, I have just been through this forest of installing PS in my BB car and I have a tread to detail the horror LOL...... After ordering some 6 or 7 different PS pumps, we came to realize that BB power steering pumps have a filler neck that is short, oval, kicked to one side of the reservoir and most importantly, tilted forward. The only place I could find them (besides that you can see pictures of them everywhere like on the rockauto site, ebay and such - yet when your order them you get a standard pear shaped pump) is from Lone Star in Tx. Expensive as heck, but it goes right in and works like Tom Brady....

If you go onto Rockauto.com and search a pump, I think its a Cardone A1 206086 or 206101 you will see a picture of it if mine dont load here...

From what I have found, this is the only pump that will work on a BB car...

Got mine finished yesterday....

Old 02-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Larry, I have just been through this forest of installing PS in my BB car and I have a tread to detail the horror LOL...... After ordering some 6 or 7 different PS pumps, we came to realize that BB power steering pumps have a filler neck that is short, oval, kicked to one side of the reservoir and most importantly, tilted forward. The only place I could find them (besides that you can see pictures of them everywhere like on the rockauto site, ebay and such - yet when your order them you get a standard pear shaped pump) is from Lone Star in Tx. Expensive as heck, but it goes right in and works like Tom Brady....

If you go onto Rockauto.com and search a pump, I think its a Cardone A1 206086 or 206101 you will see a picture of it if mine dont load here...

From what I have found, this is the only pump that will work on a BB car...

Got mine finished yesterday....
That sounds like the solution I need!!! Are you referring to Lone Star Caliper? Their site says Wholesale only. I had to register to see their prices, which is half of Paragon.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment

Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, Lone Star Caliper... They sell to anyone to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Larry Phipps
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

After several months, I'm finally getting the '67 back together. The great folks at Lone Star Caliper were a great recommendation to fix my problem. I was actually able to speak with a technician and explained my problem. He received my old pump and examined it and called me back with the results and offered the proper pump to correct it. It now fits like the factory intended. The old repro pump neck was at the incorrect angle and he thought might have been a passenger car version pump. Anyway, this problem fixed! Onto the others! Many thanks to everyone that suggested fixes and to the good folks at Lone Star!

Johns66 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted out! Where'd ya get a correct reservoir cap? Those seem hard to find. Most of the repops have a cap like in your earlier pics. They're $&$%$%-+%$!! to take off in that cramped space.

Last edited by Avispa; 10-12-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] 67 L71 Power Steering Pump Alignment