Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2.5 Exhaust On A 330HP 327

 
Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 AM
  #1  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default 2.5 Exhaust On A 330HP 327

Who sells the best set of 2.5 pipes with crossover for a '62 C1 on the West Coast? Preferably in the Bay Area.. I wanted to use a set of 14" Dynomax Super Turbos but will compromise.
Thanks
Bob
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 AM
  #2  
Drothgeb
CF Senior Member
 
Drothgeb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Monrovia MD
Posts: 346
Thanked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I’m not sure if anyone sells a full 2.5” exhaust system for a C1. I ended up buying a box full of pipe and mandrel bends and building my own.
Drothgeb is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM
  #3  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,360
Thanked 443 Times in 346 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

You will need to visit a local muffler shop for custom installation. A cross over pipe is strongly suggested.
Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 01:09 PM
  #4  
LouieM
CF Senior Member
 
LouieM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: NorCal CA
Posts: 6,927
Thanked 235 Times in 179 Posts
Default

The best muffler shop in the Bay Area is, surprisingly, this Meineke shop in Redwood City. Lupe, the owner, is a natural wizard with exhaust systems. I had a hard time believing this at first, because the shop's in a mediocre neighborhood. I couldn't get my Super Turbos to quite fit on my 67 Vette, and neither could other shops, but Lupe got it right. Lupe is a dedicated first-generation Mustang fan but likes all classic cars. He can do anything you want with an exhaust system, he is a perfectionist.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/meineke-car...r-redwood-city

Lou

Last edited by LouieM; 02-02-2019 at 01:10 PM.
LouieM is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 02:10 PM
  #5  
AZDoug
CF Senior Member
 
AZDoug's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Camp Verde AZ
Posts: 10,360
Thanked 443 Times in 346 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

And there is nothing quite like driving to the muffler shop with open headers. You learn to go veeerrrry easy on the gas.

I remember once seeing a cop give me a very evil eye just as I was turning into a muffler shop. I am sure he woudl have gone after me if i wasn't going into the shop.
Doug
AZDoug is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:16 PM
  #6  
LouieM
CF Senior Member
 
LouieM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: NorCal CA
Posts: 6,927
Thanked 235 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
And there is nothing quite like driving to the muffler shop with open headers. You learn to go veeerrrry easy on the gas.

I remember once seeing a cop give me a very evil eye just as I was turning into a muffler shop. I am sure he woudl have gone after me if i wasn't going into the shop.
Doug

I feel your pain. I once drove to a muffler shop with just the factory manifolds on my '67's 327, no pipes at all. Mercifully, I didn't run across a cop.

Lou
LouieM is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM
  #7  
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member
 
GUSTO14's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 7,010
Thanked 743 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Bob, you might want to give the folks at Allen's a call. They have been making factory fit systems for Corvettes for many years. I installed one of their 2 & 1/2" stainless steel systems on my '73 350 back in the early 90's. It still looks amazing today. The fit was as good as any original set of pipes I've ever installed. Their systems are carried by a number of the big Corvette vendors as well.

I have since learned that they can and have made up 2 1/2" systems for Corvettes that where only delivered with 2" systems. It is worth giving them a call and talking to them about it.

Good luck... GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 PM
  #8  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LouieM View Post
The best muffler shop in the Bay Area is, surprisingly, this Meineke shop in Redwood City. Lupe, the owner, is a natural wizard with exhaust systems. I had a hard time believing this at first, because the shop's in a mediocre neighborhood. I couldn't get my Super Turbos to quite fit on my 67 Vette, and neither could other shops, but Lupe got it right. Lupe is a dedicated first-generation Mustang fan but likes all classic cars. He can do anything you want with an exhaust system, he is a perfectionist.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/meineke-car...r-redwood-city

Lou
Hey Lou, thanks for the heads of the shop in Redwood City. I called up Meineke and spoke with Lupe, and said it was no problem with the Dynomax Superturbo's. He also recommended giving Corvette America a call. Unfortunately these would be mandrel bent, and I want 2.5" out the back. So mandrel bent wouldn't be a true 2.5" exhaust. My fab guy can do it using preformed 2.5" units cut and tig welding them together. I saw it done on a '62 or '63 'Vette in one of the episodes on Bitchin' Rides.
I'm wondering what the horsepower loss is with the restrictions caused by mandrel bends on 2.5" pipes....or gain with true 2.5" exhaust?
Thanks again,
Bob
Bob
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 PM
  #9  
LouieM
CF Senior Member
 
LouieM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: NorCal CA
Posts: 6,927
Thanked 235 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Bob-- I'm betting that the power loss is minimal in a 2.0 VS 2.5 system. I recall reading about one of the real drag racing hot shoes here --- maybe Donny Brass? --- mentioning that his super quick C2 has 2.0 stock manifolds.

Lou
LouieM is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 PM
  #10  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LouieM View Post
Bob-- I'm betting that the power loss is minimal in a 2.0 VS 2.5 system. I recall reading about one of the real drag racing hot shoes here --- maybe Donny Brass? --- mentioning that his super quick C2 has 2.0 stock manifolds.

Lou
I don't know Lou. 25% restriction seems like quite a bit to me. I feel the power output now with this engine is at least 10% more than when new. and if the exhaust manifolds are 2.5" at the exhaust port, why not make it 2.5" all the way out, including through the mufflers.
Bob
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:55 PM
  #11  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GUSTO14 View Post
Bob, you might want to give the folks at Allen's a call. They have been making factory fit systems for Corvettes for many years. I installed one of their 2 & 1/2" stainless steel systems on my '73 350 back in the early 90's. It still looks amazing today. The fit was as good as any original set of pipes I've ever installed. Their systems are carried by a number of the big Corvette vendors as well.

I have since learned that they can and have made up 2 1/2" systems for Corvettes that where only delivered with 2" systems. It is worth giving them a call and talking to them about it.

Good luck... GUSTO
Who or what is "Allens", Gusto? Do you have a picture of the 2.5" exhaust on your 350? Here's some pics of the 2.5 exhaust of the 350 in my '55 Nomad.
Bob





6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:03 PM
  #12  
jim lockwood
CF Senior Member
 
jim lockwood's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: northern california
Posts: 6,824
Thanked 472 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6T2Vette View Post
I don't know Lou. 25% restriction seems like quite a bit to me. I feel the power output now with this engine is at least 10% more than when new. and if the exhaust manifolds are 2.5" at the exhaust port, why not make it 2.5" all the way out, including through the mufflers.
Bob
Well, one reason is that it isn't necessary. The farther to the rear the exhaust gases travel, the cooler and more dense they become. They simply don't need as large a tube at the rear of the car as they do closer to the engine.
jim lockwood is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jim lockwood For This Useful Post:
vettsplit 63 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 PM
  #13  
Drothgeb
CF Senior Member
 
Drothgeb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Monrovia MD
Posts: 346
Thanked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6T2Vette View Post
Hey Lou, thanks for the heads of the shop in Redwood City. I called up Meineke and spoke with Lupe, and said it was no problem with the Dynomax Superturbo's. He also recommended giving Corvette America a call. Unfortunately these would be mandrel bent, and I want 2.5" out the back. So mandrel bent wouldn't be a true 2.5" exhaust. My fab guy can do it using preformed 2.5" units cut and tig welding them together. I saw it done on a '62 or '63 'Vette in one of the episodes on Bitchin' Rides.
I'm wondering what the horsepower loss is with the restrictions caused by mandrel bends on 2.5" pipes....or gain with true 2.5" exhaust?
Thanks again,
Bob
Bob
Mandrel bends are the full diameter bends. They are what you want.
Drothgeb is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 PM
  #14  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jim lockwood View Post
Well, one reason is that it isn't necessary. The farther to the rear the exhaust gases travel, the cooler and more dense they become. They simply don't need as large a tube at the rear of the car as they do closer to the engine.
I agree. 2" or 2.25" after the muffler is fine, I said that on a previous thread...thanks for that.
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 PM
  #15  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post


Mandrel bends are the full diameter bends. They are what you want.
My bad. You are correct. I was referring to a pipe bender that shrinks the radius on a bend. I posted some pics of the exhaust setup by a muffler shop on my Nomad. Here's some pics of how Bitchin' Rides did it on a '63 C2 in one of their episodes. Of course horse power was 635 from their LS.
Bob







B

Last edited by 6T2Vette; 02-02-2019 at 10:05 PM.
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 PM
  #16  
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member
 
GUSTO14's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 7,010
Thanked 743 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Bob, if you click on the name in the post #7 above, it will connect you.

This is what the system looks like after being on the car since 1992. It is their stainless steel system. They also offer it in aluminized steel.





Good luck... GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 AM
  #17  
LouieM
CF Senior Member
 
LouieM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: NorCal CA
Posts: 6,927
Thanked 235 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 6T2Vette View Post
I don't know Lou. 25% restriction seems like quite a bit to me. I feel the power output now with this engine is at least 10% more than when new. and if the exhaust manifolds are 2.5" at the exhaust port, why not make it 2.5" all the way out, including through the mufflers.
Bob
I agree that the larger pipes will make more power. I would go with 2.5" all the way through if it were mine. I was just pointing out that others have made pretty fast cars with the small exhaust on part of the system.

Lou
LouieM is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 02:07 AM
  #18  
sidepipe seeker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area Ca
Posts: 440
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

This article provides some very useful information...Mark

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...pe-size.11552/
sidepipe seeker is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 02:50 AM
  #19  
6T2Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 236
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker View Post
This article provides some very useful information...Mark

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...pe-size.11552/
Good reading, but more specs than I can relate to. From what I could understand, I'm on the right track using 2.5" pipes with a 330ci, with 330HP engine, but 2.25" could work just as well. Don't know about the size of the crossover, but I would think 1.5" would be OK.
Bob
6T2Vette is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 AM
  #20  
Drothgeb
CF Senior Member
 
Drothgeb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Monrovia MD
Posts: 346
Thanked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Are you going with stainless or aluminized?
Drothgeb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.5 Exhaust On A 330HP 327


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: