C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Mechanic recommendations 1960 in DC area

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM
artdan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic recommendations 1960 in DC area

I recently acquired a 1960 Corvette. I live in Washington DC. I am looking for a mechanic in the area who is familiar enough with C-1ś to work with.
The car is an older restoration with a few bugs that need worked out. I would like to have the carś condition assessed before I drive it much. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Tonys Corvette Shop in Gathersburg Md
The following users liked this post:
artdan (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Tonys Corvette Shop in Gathersburg Md
YEP! . . . I agree - he's your guy!
Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Jim Rosenthal
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If that doesn't work out, you might try Ron McCall at McCall's Transmissions, in Hampstead, MD. He works mostly on Panteras and Ferraris nowadays, but is also very familiar with Chevys from his racing days.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Third vote for Tony's. Ask him to do an evaluation, and you'll know exactly what needs to be addressed.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Tony's can be very busy, requiring you to be persistent to get on the radar. You will get first rate work, just don't be surprised at costs. If you need common maintenance, let me know, I have two shops in mind. Dennis
The following users liked this post:
artdan (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
artdan
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Tony's can be very busy, requiring you to be persistent to get on the radar. You will get first rate work, just don't be surprised at costs. If you need common maintenance, let me know, I have two shops in mind. Dennis
I intend to have Tony take a look, but I am always interested in finding shops with competent mechanics. My regular guy is now semi-retired, and I need to find someone for regular maintenance on my other vintage cars. They can be expensive mistresses.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by artdan
I recently acquired a 1960 Corvette. I live in Washington DC. I am looking for a mechanic in the area who is familiar enough with C-1ś to work with.
The car is an older restoration with a few bugs that need worked out. I would like to have the carś condition assessed before I drive it much. Any suggestions?
i live by Damascus,Md, and Tony’s is good, but you may wait, as they also do blowers and tunes on later vettes. In Rockville/Bethesda on Rockville Pike is Fleming’s Ultimate Garagr, and they used to tweak on
mainly C1’s. I have a 61, and those who still work on older cars are swamped building pro-mod cars. I’m chasing a guy for a year to change rear gears back to 4:11 position, but street rods and pro mods have his attention. Let us know when you find someone, or text me at 443-518-6234-thanks
micksnip
Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Micksnip

i live by Damascus,Md, and Tony’s is good, but you may wait, as they also do blowers and tunes on later vettes. In Rockville/Bethesda on Rockville Pike is Fleming’s Ultimate Garagr, and they used to tweak on
mainly C1’s. I have a 61, and those who still work on older cars are swamped building pro-mod cars. I’m chasing a guy for a year to change rear gears back to 4:11 position, but street rods and pro mods have his attention. Let us know when you find someone, or text me at 443-518-6234-thanks
micksnip
Last I went to Tony’s, in one indoor area I saw two columns of four C1 bodies stacked! Never saw c1s stacked like shipping containers! I also have an 04 Mustang Cobra, and there are a number of folks very skilled at those, but especially in Waldorf to your south are some and I’m sure the right person is out there, as these skills are transferable conceptually.
micksnip
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by artdan
micksnip
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 PM
pwilks
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Chuck Crew, Mid Atlantic Corvette Restoration, Westminster MD. Specializes in C1, C2.&C3. Very good work, but one man shop and tough to get on his calendar.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Flemings Ultimate moved to Loftstrand Ln. Rockville. Down the street is Bruno's Classic Muscle, 301-610-2091, Rob Sunde, Contempary Classics in Silver Spring, 301-384-4223. My pick is Contempary Classics. Rob is one man show, but pays close attention to details. Dennis
Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 PM
artdan
Cruising

Thanks Dennis
After Tony looks at my car in a couple of weeks, I will strongly consider options.
Silver Spring is just up 16th Street from where I live, much better than the treck down to Springfield where my semi-retired mechanic resides.
Cheers
Old 02-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Micksnip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Flemings Ultimate moved to Loftstrand Ln. Rockville. Down the street is Bruno's Classic Muscle, 301-610-2091, Rob Sunde, Contempary Classics in Silver Spring, 301-384-4223. My pick is Contempary Classics. Rob is one man show, but pays close attention to details. Dennis
thanks for the info. I saw the name changed on Fleming’s, but still had mid-for, not hi-fi , if you follow my audiophile metaphor. Good to know all 4 of these options!
i bought my vette from Rod Sabory in Miller’s, Md, and he subs out all his vette work. Body, engine build, but did his own tube frame for the Black Widow 63. He also has about 10 vettes at any given time, or can find you one. ( he’s usually got a car or 2 under construction, and advertises in racing junk-c1/2 cars)
However, being a finder or broker, as it’s a lot of work with you taking all the risks, and nobody wants to pay you the commission. Buyer says they’re too stretched, and seller says they have taken too much of a cash hit, he can’t afford it either. Or, you show the car you found on paper, and they just take that and make their best deal, then want you to do transport, inspection, and delivery. Tough job, and for me, be it homes, guns, knives, or old vettes, I really enjoy the chase or journey, as it’s like being on a safari, and got to have your $ ready to drop that 3500 lb bear!

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanic recommendations 1960 in DC area

Quick Reply: [C1] Mechanic recommendations 1960 in DC area