C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aftermarket AC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Aftermarket AC?

I have tried to do a thread search but nave not found what I'm looking for which is members that have installed Vintage Air or other brand aftermarket AC.

I purchased my Vintage Air kit back in 2011 and in 2017 they upgraded their products to be all electric. I'm quite happy to have just relays and cables plus vacuum if I want.
My search is to hear how owners feel about their systems. I do have area reps that have these systems in their Hot Rods and saw plenty of videos about Camaros but nothing about Corvettes.
I'm still heading toward a BB and have a numbers correct 427-400 and a brand new NOS LS6 454-450 from GM and I also have the original 327-350. All choices have considerations but I will stick to BB for now. I'd like to see installed systems under the hood. I'd like to hear from owners about the firewall cover that is in the Vintage kit plus their new design that feeds the hoses through where the original fan went. Blocking out the factory locations with delete covers vs putting the box over the openings. I am think that having the delete option will give more room around the engine so having feed back will help me decide.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I have lots of pictures of my split window install...
The A/C is ridiculous and I've seen 38* on the highway in Orlando in the summer, I actually turn the temp down most times as it'll run you out..

I did run the hoses through the fresh air vent and it kept the engine compartment very clean...some have run the hoses other ways but I kept to the VA instructions for the most part...

The newer compressors have in-line hose connections vs the right angle type and are a bit cleaner IMO.
The GEN IV "stepper controls" are nice and work smoothly without cables and I prefer them.

If you PM me your email I can send you any pics you request.

FTF

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:32 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Great to know Frankie, PM sending now.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I installed my VA system in about 2006. I love it. Installed exactly as the instructions. I like the way the firewall box looks in this system because it is similar to the way the original looked. I personally do not like the flat block off plate. I did change my compressor end cap so the fittings are in line. Like Frankie said it gives it a cleaner look. I also had the extra ears machined off and the compressor satin polished. The system has been very good and very reliable.
All that being said I think the latest "Gen IV' systems are kick ***.. (no cables)
The following users liked this post:
ptwohey (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I built my tube-frame Grand Sport replica in 1995 with a Vintage Air "Supercooler" system - you could hang meat in that car with the A/C going.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feed back everyone! Makes my decisions easier. Wicked dash John Z.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

While I can't speak for their customer service as of now I can tell you Vintage Air service in my experience when I had an issue in my street rod was fantastic. They were literally willing to pay to correct a manufacturing mistake. Reputation is also something to consider when deciding what manufacturer's product to go with.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I have an old cable operated Vintage Air system. It blows Ice Cold. I painted the compressor black and stuck some 66 A/C stickers on it to give it that camouflaged look.
My two complaints so far:
My heater core failed two years ago and I found out that it's not serviceable. It's only sold with the whole box which is discontinued. To fix my heat, I will have to replace the entire system.

It only has 4 vents, the two by the console just about freeze your leg off and there is nothing that blows upward or around your face. Otherwise everything else is fine.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Dang! The heater core is not available as just a replacement part? Definitely something to consider. I have called on V.A. customer service several times and they were helpful but I was told that parts for older systems are not available.

Some members mentiom about staying with R12 rather than switching to 134a. My AC tech says there is no problem with either one as long as it is done correctly. I have a brand new 30# of R12 and 7 smaller cans of the "older R12" since the 90's before 134a was introduced and it is in my 68 Camaro and 71 Vette both factory AC. Neither one is presently working although holding their charge. The 64 Chevelle also factory air was converted to 134 and that doesn't work either. Being in the N.E. were we have 4 seasons there are not as many notable service stations like in the mostly warmer states.

I read several threads about R12 still being made and available BUT I also see that new R12 has propane and other ingredients that were not in the original. Propane is specially noted to stay away from. I have had several offers to buy the R12 or even to swap it for equal amounts of 134 but the offers were really low and buyers telling me the original R12 is junk compared to what is sold today.

I will end up with 134 because most service stations around here trashed their R12 equipment plus most technicians weren't even a glow in anyone eyes 2 decades ago.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The 134 works fine. I also don’t know if the VA warranty applies with R12.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I have no issues using 134 and as far as warrantee with VA, I purchased this kit in 2011! It will either work or not. Good or junk. Fingers crossed. My luck with servos, capacitors and chips on circuit boards is poor so it's nice to hear yours works great. I tested the relay switches on mine and all function as designed. Not being able to buy parts is sad to hear.

I'm not sure what will happen to my R12 supply as of yet. I was offered cash for them but by a bottom feeder. My local tech said to hold on to them until all my cars are working well.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here is my 250hp 63 temp after about 40 minutes at 70-75mph turnpike speeds with the A/C full blast and an 85* Orlando day on a cruise this afternoon. It acts the same way in 95*.

DeWitt's Perfect Fit radiator, BB 7-blade fan and Hayden 2747 fan clutch along with the 67 A/C upper radiator rubber seal trimmed to fit the 63. No electric fans, no running with the hood propped open or other "magic"...

If I let it idle for an extended period with the A/C on the temp might go to 185* tops. The temp gauge is "dead nuts" accurate....checked it many times.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:29 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Frankie... your temp is great. You have a SB and locally these is a 427-425 and even without AC he has temp problems even in the 70's The best mechanic for problem solving in our area checked it out and made several fixes that passed the driveway fexam and will be tested in spring on open road.

The owner dropped in a HEI distributor but didn't time it to the cam, wrong. The distributor was at it's max rotation and timing was still erratic. Repositioning the distributor fixed the rough idle and timing. Engine ran so much better and quicker throttle response. A hotter spark plug was in the engine so those were changed to cooler plugs. The fan was not clutching correctly so that was fixed with a new clutch and one more blade. The fan shroud was short so only 1/2 of the blade width was inside. The shroud was widened to cover the whole blade and better control air flow both through the radiation and around the engine. It ran at 1200 RPM in the driveway for 20 min and stayed at 180. The road will be the real test. I have a long way to go before this is on the road so overheating is not a problem.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:57 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

To add or clarify to the Vintage Air story, My system is R134, It's the old cable operated system and the only thing that has gone wrong with it is the heater core and that's the only thing I ever tried to purchase for it. They told me the heater core box is plastic welded together and you could only service it buying the whole box which isn't available anymore.

I have a later electronic one also in my 55 Bel Aire. I had a shop install it and the controls never worked right. When i tried my failed LS3 GM crate motor install, I set out to fix it myself. I called Vintage Air tech and after troubleshooting my problem over the phone, he told me my circuit board was bad. He told me to get the numbers off of it and order a new one, it Wasn't horribly priced so I figured why not? I called back with the numbers a few days later and got a different Vintage Air Tech, went over my problems and he told me my ground was bad. Told me which wire to troubleshoot (sure enough, the guy had it grounded through paint) sent me a PDF of how to reset the board after I fixed the ground and it has worked fine ever since.

Even with my issues, My next car will have Vintage Air also.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:21 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Sledge..., I don't mean to challenge VA's info but when the local VA rep snowbirds back to the N.E. I was ask if he has any old boxes laying around that I can cut into. I'm glad you mentioned that the heater core is plastic because the connector tubes are metal and if I knew that before buying I never would have. There is a company that will build just about any size core that is needed. A buddy has a 66 Chevelle fully modified dragster and his multiple radiators were custom built into areas that were available in the front end and it keeps his oversized BB comfortable. I've worked with plastic repair for 45 years and even repaired polypropylene that nothing sticks to. Styrene, ABS and other thermoformed and thermosetting types may be repaired to a point they will withstand the pressures of a heater core.
When time allows I will be testing the firewall cover supplied with the old kit which I suspect is ABS. I'm considering a modification to make it more pleasing to MY EYES. Lots to do before I get to that point but I will test the plastic this week.

You have my curiosity and there are screwed on the box. I'm gonna explore.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,553 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I also have a VA older system (2009) in my ‘64 convertible. Last year I had it recharged for the first time since installation given I didn’t think the temp was cold enough in 100 degree south Texas heat. Now I have to turn the temp up so I don’t freeze. VA is 20 minutes from my house and I’ve found their customer service to be first rate. I will be installing VA in my ‘64 coupe later this spring. The engine accessory kit I bought for the sbc 427 going in this car came with pulleys, brackets, wp, ps pump and Sanden compressor (Eddies). I called VA and told them I already had the compressor, but needed everything else and their response was of course we will sell you our complete kit minus the compressor. They make it hard to go anywhere else.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Some of the best customer service bar none.

After some recent work on my system the temp control **** was working backwards !Hot was cold and cold was hot.

Perplexing as hell - a quick phone call and they walked me through the calibration of the unit (grounding a secret Gray wire on the evaporator while working all the controls throughout their range) and everything was straightened out in 10 minutes (not counting my 2 hours of screwing it up first)...

And I was just going to reverse the hot and cold decals - but then I'm a guy that solves Rubik's cube by moving the stickers into the solved position !!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-07-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket AC?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:18 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Originally Posted by ptwohey
Sledge..., I don't mean to challenge VA's info but when the local VA rep snowbirds back to the N.E. I was ask if he has any old boxes laying around that I can cut into. I'm glad you mentioned that the heater core is plastic because the connector tubes are metal and if I knew that before buying I never would have. There is a company that will build just about any size core that is needed. A buddy has a 66 Chevelle fully modified dragster and his multiple radiators were custom built into areas that were available in the front end and it keeps his oversized BB comfortable. I've worked with plastic repair for 45 years and even repaired polypropylene that nothing sticks to. Styrene, ABS and other thermoformed and thermosetting types may be repaired to a point they will withstand the pressures of a heater core.
When time allows I will be testing the firewall cover supplied with the old kit which I suspect is ABS. I'm considering a modification to make it more pleasing to MY EYES. Lots to do before I get to that point but I will test the plastic this week.

You have my curiosity and there are screwed on the box. I'm gonna explore.
No the box is plastic, no idea what the heater core is made of. According to the VA rep I spoke to the plastic box that contains the heater core and Evap core is plastic welded shut with no way to open it up to change the internal components. It's probably just some generic heater core. My A/C still works, it's rarely cold enough in down here south of Houston to need heat anyway.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I'd rather deal with any other part on a Vintage Air setup besides that evaporator. If I ever have to to change the hoses coming out the side of that I might not have the stamina...
Old 03-07-2019, 04:30 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I'm back after working under the car fixing the cracks and making everything look like factory. All your comments about VA are appreciated and I appreciate the note about the BOX being plastic and not the core. I feel much better and after pre-installing the main unit I put it aside to go to the next step and continue to assemble the body.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket AC?