C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which would you pick

Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 AM
CHANEY
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dilly dilly
Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Why Dan Short quit:
https://www.fantomworks.com/14385/why-drs-quit/
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgehead:
bigearl56 (02-08-2019), Brian VH McHale (02-09-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 PM
BK N 66
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Phantom Works

dont know why u guys re so down on Dan Short and Phantom Works?????? i thought it was one of the better car shows on tv. Dan always tried to do a job the right
way with no Joe Mcghee short cuts. He would always try and do the job the way he would want it done himself. His builds were very pricey but he put in a lot of hours
and time on his builds. i will miss the show,

again i am not a fan of Richard Rawlings or the Texas guys. i agree with most of u that the best car show on now is Iron resurrection. Joe Martin is a incredible and
amazing fabricator. can do anything with a piece of metal. and Amanda is not to hard to look at. Not much of a Kindig fan but the show is ok sometimes. Also
really enjoy Garage Squad. Not many good or great car shows on. i guess it just depends what u like??
Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

The OP asked a very specific question, he didn't ask which show is best.....
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

My vote, if you feel compelled to choose between the two TV shows, would be "The Guild" as they sure seem to restore some high end stuff and fabricating the Bugatti demonstrated some real craftsmanship. If you want to change the channel a bit my car was done by a shop in Grand Island, NE called Sloggetts which did an exceptionally good job on the car. The car has won several first place trophies including the best paint in the entire show at the Houston Autorama. The painter on the car was a Dave Kindig trained painter so my car has that partial connection to television. It's a little off topic to your initial post but, in my opinion, if I was going to restore a car I would focus on the craftsmanship of the shop and not the entertainment value of the program.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Amanda is the reason I watch that show. That and the minimum of manufactured drama.

Heather is a close second on Garage Squad. I still don't believe her real age.
Here's another new one you might want to try - "Love, Live, Wrench" - no fat, greasy, long-haired backward baseball cap types and no manufactured drama; just a normal married couple working in their own shop. "Emily" is beautiful, well-spoken, car-smart and tool-smart.
Heather, Amanda, and Emily keep me tuning in to their shows.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

The Guild hands down. Great attention to detail. Fantomworks seem to make a lot of silly mistakes that a backyard mechanic wouldn't do.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:35 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Of course it was easy by then after racking in big sums of money. Wonder how much his workers got of Dan's take ? Easy to act like a hero after your bank account is stuffed with dollars
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Serious Eye Cabdy

On Motor Trend/Velocity, check out Live, Love, Wrench. Emily Reeves I believe is a professional model as well as a very competent mechanic.
Her husband Aaron is an aspiring airline pilot so I take special interest in their show. I offered to mentor him. I'm old enough to be Emily's grandfather but I could watch her forever.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Neither.

To the OP's question.

Let advertisers pay for manufactured drama. I have enough real drama in my life, don't need any fake additives.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbird
I would choose Martin Brothers Customs from Iron Resurrection or Dave Kindig @ Kindigit Design.
I agree. These have great fabrication skills. I might be able to afford Martin Bros but Dave is way too expensive for my meager funds.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Pick

I would never let Fantomjunk touch any car that I care about. The funny comment on them not cutting any corners....the C3 they did was a rusted hulk of a birdcage that should have been thrown to junk. They continued to suck money from the customer to splice new metal into rust, never getting all of it so he could keep sentimental value.

His brake check should be a example of his fine work.

I also have to agree with John Z.....
Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
I would never let Fantomjunk touch any car that I care about. The funny comment on them not cutting any corners....the C3 they did was a rusted hulk of a birdcage that should have been thrown to junk. They continued to suck money from the customer to splice new metal into rust, never getting all of it so he could keep sentimental value.

His brake check should be a example of his fine work.

I also have to agree with John Z.....
Watch that C3 episode again....Dan does his best to talk the owner OUT of spending stupid money on that Vette. But the owner said “I don’t care what it costs, I want my father’s car restored”. The owner was clearly advised of the massive amount of $ it was going to take, and he was advised that the car simply isn’t worth it. But the owner said he “didn’t care about the money”.

That Live Love Wrench show is painful to watch. They clearly don’t know what they are doing, and the production quality is amateurish. I suspect that show is cancelled in a few weeks.

Back to the OP question: find a restoration shop that specializes in Corvettes, one that isn’t on TV. There are numerous shops that do great work, and do it without fabricated drama.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:06 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I did a tour with some friends from NC last August of Fantom Works. The 67 big block car was sitting in the back with the top down. Several of us asked about the 67 and our tour guide said “it’s a long story” and didn’t want to talk about it. It was a nice car but had a very heavy layer of shop dust inside and out. I watched the episode about this car and now it makes more sense why it was just sitting there collecting dust. Dan is a nice guy in person. We see him at local car shows and he did a pre inspection on a friends 65. This last tour was in August and it was over 90 degrees. When we arrived Dan was in the shop which is not air conditioned. He came into their break area soaked with sweat to talk to us.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I may be the only one who doesn't know "the long story" about the Fantomworks '67 BB. Can you fill me in ?

Ray
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Ray, if I said any more about the 67 BB I would be guessing. The car may be gone now for all I know. As we were walking through last August, the explanation didn’t make much sense. Why would you let a nice car like that sit in that shop exposed to all that shop dust. It should have had a cover.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:39 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
Ray, if I said any more about the 67 BB I would be guessing. The car may be gone now for all I know. As we were walking through last August, the explanation didn’t make much sense. Why would you let a nice car like that sit in that shop exposed to all that shop dust. It should have had a cover.
Okay, I was mistaken in thinking that maybe that '67 BB that you saw was featured on one of their episodes and it had some wild "reality show" backstory to it.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To Which would you pick

Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Ray, after thinking about this, I am not 100% sure The car I saw last August was the same car in the episode. Same color, interior and engine but I have no way of knowing it’s the same car without confirming with Fantom Works.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:08 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

How ap-pro-po that it is named "Phantom Works"...as the entire shop only exhibits a "shadow of talent"...

The ONLY show/person I would personally have to restore/work on any of my cars is Chip Foose.

The reason being with the other two shows...the guy with the handle less mop on his head ( Guild) has NO on-hands talent...other than writing checks...
and the guy at Phantom Works is a consummate HACK!!!..

Chip Foose is Extremely Capable in ALL aspects of Design and Fabrication...from welding...to shaping with an English Wheel...to assembly...to paint...etc..etc...
You could leave your car to be restored with Chip Foose and ONLY have Chip work on your car with NO other help nor hands touching that car...and the finished car would be a "Work of Art"....
NOT so...with the other 2 !!!!...Mark
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
How ap-pro-po that it is named "Phantom Works"...as the entire shop only exhibits a "shadow of talent"...

The ONLY show/person I would personally have to restore/work on any of my cars is Chip Foose.

The reason being with the other two shows...the guy with the handle less mop on his head ( Guild) has NO on-hands talent...other than writing checks...
and the guy at Phantom Works is a consummate HACK!!!..

Chip Foose is Extremely Capable in ALL aspects of Design and Fabrication...from welding...to shaping with an English Wheel...to assembly...to paint...etc..etc...
You could leave your car to be restored with Chip Foose and ONLY have Chip work on your car with NO other help nor hands touching that car...and the finished car would be a "Work of Art"....
NOT so...with the other 2 !!!!...Mark
The standard Foose creation would have a light color on the top area followed by a darker side color, perhaps fading into a silver bottom area paint. There could even be a stripe on it. An Edelbrock crate engine, oversized shiny wheels, a magnaflow exhaust system and a tuck & roll interior. Your bumpers would be shortened and refinished to better match the body lines. Almost forgot the huge speakers for the boom car effect.

I’m not saying you are misguided on your rating of the two shops the OP asked for response to.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 02-08-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which would you pick