Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Garage Build - Detached Input Requested

Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Factoid
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wolfman64 View Post
Mark...I can't resist......Love the layout of your garage/man cave...Except for one thing...Powder Room?.........Paul
[/QUOTE]

Ha! Both the wife and the architect vetoed my original label of poop palace. Two women, go figure.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 PM
6D2148
CF Senior Member

I just built a garage, or really a pole barn for daily driver, wife's Mustang, my Corvette, maybe a Harley or two and room for pool toys, pool furniture winter storage. Max size with out getting a variance is 1200sq', so it's 30x40 with three 10'x8' OH doors and one man door, 10' ceiling. I already have a 73'x36' barn with 18' ceiling with two post lift, so 10' ceiling is ok. Chip
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Rcubed1952

Originally Posted by bighouse View Post
Message me your email and Iíll send you some and all the details.
Bighouse e-mail address is [email protected]
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM
thread baron
CF Senior Member

All great ideas coming from every direction! I will add that a great resource is https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

This forum will give you great ideas, pictures, and go into detail on any specific (heating, flooring, etc.) part of the garage you are working on. Good luck with the build!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
CF Senior Member

I redid a 1600 sq ft detached garage on my own. Some thoughts.

Liftmaster garage door openers - you don't have the chain/ceiling mounted motor, noise, and they AUTOLOCK when they close. Inexpensive too.
220 plugs in 2 locations opposite eachother.
110 plugs as low to the ground as code will allow. Trickle chargers, etc need power, and plugs running down the wall look cheesy.
LED lighting is a MUST. Use 1/8 the power of a fluorescent. I went with Bolts. 4 foot 8250 Lumens 66 Watt LED. They are gorgeous. Bright. Can't say enough about them.
Prewire for alarm, motion sensors, fire/smoke detectors, CO2 detectors AND security cameras. 110 plugs up high for cameras.
More 110 plugs the better.
Wire a dedicated 110 on it's own separate breaker for a refrigerator. That way if something trips in the garage, your beer won't get warm. I have 3 refrigerators in my garage. Great to store tons of food with parties.
Blinds on all windows.
Find where you will put TV and have cable/satelite and 110 run in walls. Again, cords suck unless you bought the place like that. You have the luxury of building your own.
Build a safe into a wall. Trust me. Not for valuables, but you're not a man unless you have a Glock in every room. LOL.
More lights, more plugs, more sq ft than you think you need, then add 250 sq ft.
I could go on for a while, but you get my drift.
Push button combination front door handle with a Medeco deadbolt lock. That way you can give your kids/wife/others the combo to get in IF you want after unlocking the deadbolt without having to give them a key. Then you can change the code at any time.
I planned it out for a long time before diving in. I can't afford mistakes. Do it one, do it right, don't do it again.
Good luck, have fun.
ARA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Build - Detached Input Requested

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: