C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Correct alternator belt?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Correct alternator belt?

What is the NAPA number for the correct length alterntor belt for a '67 300hp/327 with factory A/C? My car also has factory power steering.

The belt on my car right now is too long. It works fine, but the alternator must be positioned at nearly the end of the alternator bracket for the belt to be sufficiently tight.

I'd like to replace this belt with one of the proper length. But what is the proper length? What would be the part number for one from NAPA or another manufacturer?

Thanks,
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Your best bet is to remove the current belt and take it to your local auto parts store and let them measure it. Then buy a belt that's an 1" to 1 1/2" shorter. The belt you currently have is either incorrect or has stretched over time. You can, also, search online for a part #, but if it were me, I would do what I suggested.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Fufu (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I think just about every belt made today has the size imprinted somewhere on the belt.

But you could also cut the belt and lay it on the floor.........and measure end to end. You are going to replace it anyway.

If you do the above, then move the alternator to where you think it should be. Wrap the old belt around the pulleys and make a chalk mark where the ends overlap. Then measure the new length.

Larry
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
I think just about every belt made today has the size imprinted somewhere on the belt.

But you could also cut the belt and lay it on the floor.........and measure end to end. You are going to replace it anyway.

If you do the above, then move the alternator to where you think it should be. Wrap the old belt around the pulleys and make a chalk mark where the ends overlap. Then measure the new length.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Great suggestion. I like your novel approach to figuring out the proper belt length!

-Alex
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

This is the way I had to do it some years back. Quanta could not find the correct belt for me in their catalog and factory stock. My car is a stock 67, 327/350 HP with factory air (only). Finally got it straight.......and now I have the correct part numbers.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Correct alternator belt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Correct alternator belt?