C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rebuild or replace motor in my 64 air coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM
bellyjello
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rebuild or replace motor in my 64 air coupe?

Hello , last fall something went very bad in my 64 coupe. I was going to do an oil change. I thought I would add a little marvel mystery oil to do a clean out before the change. I added about 8 oz. I took a little ride to my fathers house. After leaving on way back to my garage a bad knock occurred. It sounded low on the passenger side. Oil pressure read 70 lbs. engine got hot. I shut it down. Sounded like a rod bearing or piston ring. I don’t know. A friend towed me back to the garage with a tow strap and his new four Jeep.
It is now sitting on the lift at my garage. I haven’t started on it yet. No heat and garage.
What would you do? Pull the motor and replace it with a crate motor. Pull the motor and rebuild it and reinstall. Car is a matching number 1964 air coupe with nice frame. Decent body. Driver paint. Some one added the third tail light and removed emblems. I just added new carpet last year. I would keep motor.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:10 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

I would rebuild it after testing block and heads for cracks. Matching blocks are rare, and the knock from overhearing can sound like a rod.
I was driving my fresh 365/327 when it started to knock. I threw a fan belt and my sender wire was not on because I had the wrong sender. That was MANY years ago.

Dom
Old 02-09-2019, 02:32 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by bellyjello

Hello , last fall something went very bad in my 64 coupe. I was going to do an oil change. I thought I would add a little marvel mystery oil to do a clean out before the change. I added about 8 oz. I took a little ride to my fathers house. After leaving on way back to my garage a bad knock occurred. It sounded low on the passenger side. Oil pressure read 70 lbs. engine got hot. I shut it down. Sounded like a rod bearing or piston ring. I don’t know. A friend towed me back to the garage with a tow strap and his new four Jeep.
It is now sitting on the lift at my garage. I haven’t started on it yet. No heat and garage.
What would you do? Pull the motor and replace it with a crate motor. Pull the motor and rebuild it and reinstall. Car is a matching number 1964 air coupe with nice frame. Decent body. Driver paint. Some one added the third tail light and removed emblems. I just added new carpet last year. I would keep motor.
I would not even think about pulling the engine until you get a good set of eyes and ears on it.

If it is in need of any work, overhaul the original in every case. The noise may not be terminal.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You will devalue the car with a replacement mill on top of the cost of buying it. No brainer — have the engine looked at and overhauled If needed.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM
bellyjello
Instructor

I plan on dropping inspection plate first.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would have to do a little diagnosis before I opted to pull and rebuild. However, if you just want more get up and go, get a crate engine that suits you. Put the original engine in the crate the new engine comes in for when you are ready to sell. I would probably go that route; install a mild 383 with aluminum top end.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by bellyjello
I plan on dropping inspection plate first.
There is no inspection plate to drop. Have someone take a look that knows what he's looking at and listening to. Preferably, someone that wouldn't benefit monetarily from his findings.
The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:15 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Do not even think of starting the engine again. You already know it's got a problem but it is intact. Pull it and rebuild it.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Do not even think of starting the engine again. You already know it's got a problem but it is intact. Pull it and rebuild it.

What I'd do too.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 623 Likes on 363 Posts

There is no question on this, rebuild the original numbers matching motor, and make sure they do not deck the block, that would remove the numbers on the stamp pad, and lose the value an original numbers matching motor adds to the cars.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
I would not even think about pulling the engine until you get a good set of eyes and ears on it.

If it is in need of any work, overhaul the original in every case. The noise may not be terminal.
Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
There is no question on this, rebuild the original numbers matching motor, and make sure they do not deck the block, that would remove the numbers on the stamp pad, and lose the value an original numbers matching motor adds to the cars.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_64-365
I agree with the others there is only one original "born with" engine. Save it. Plus you may actually save money by rebuilding it as opposed to buying a crate motor.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I still think it might be a good idea to find out where the noise is coming from before recommending the OP just blindly rush out and spend thousands on a rebuild that may not be needed at all. based on what little bit of vague information he provided.

Bad knock, 70 lbs oil pressure and hot engine somehow doesn't seem related or that there will be an eminent explosion.that scatters internal engine parts all over the engine bay.

Might be best to slow down and proceed with a little common sense. There could be a serious problem but just snatching the engine out based on what has been reported doesn't seem like the prudent thing to do.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 AM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed with the others to have someone to look at it and rebuild the original instead of buying a new engine.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Pull the pan and see what you can see.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,518 Likes on 801 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had the same thing happen but my engine only had 200 miles on it. Heard a knock but had good oil pressure it was number one rod bearing. It was a 327 but I decided to build something with some real power. I have the recipe for a killer 383 and cheaper then you can buy a crate engine. I posted a thread on it I'll try and post it on yours if you would like. If your anything like me a 327 just won't cut it
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Cars only have the original engine once in their life. Do you know how many C2 owners wish they had or could find their original matching number engine? Rebuild the original engine. Also while you have it out restore your engine bay and service or replace the hard to get to air conditioning parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild or replace motor in my 64 air coupe?

Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

An original-engined AC coupe - no question, save the original engine.

Agree with what others have said: Do not start it, but have a professional look at it. You might just get lucky and it's nothing more than a broken pulley. It happens.

If the engine has been damaged, hopefully it's not too far gone to save (smart that you didn't force driving it home). Blocks can be sleeved, and rotating assemblies replaced.

Either have the engine rebuilt, if damaged, or store it aside, replacing it with a crate engine to enjoy driving it, while preserving the oem engine.

Whatever you do, don't let some hack get their hands on it. An original born-with engine adds several thousands to the value of your car.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM
bellyjello
Instructor

I plan on dropping oil pan first. To see what I can see. Plan on pulling engine and A/c myself. That way I can take note how everything goes back together. Detail engine bay while it’s out. I’ll post what I find. I need to move frame of other project to house first. Another car is sitting on the ramps to my lift. I need more room and time.

Last edited by bellyjello; 02-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

why do you need to pull the AC?

Quick Reply: Rebuild or replace motor in my 64 air coupe?