C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Power Steering Pump Leak Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM
RJMerc
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Leak Help!

I just got done replacing a rebuilt power steering pump into my old pump housing. Put it all back together and got it on the car. Filled it up and...it leaks. So I took it back off and the leak is definitely coming from the large O ring seal between the pump and the housing. It drips slowly at the very bottom, but appears to be originating from a little higher up (arrow). I did use the new O ring provided with the rebuilt pump, but did not add any additional gasket sealer. Has anyone rebuilt their pump and used a gasket sealer to ensure a good seal between the pump and housing? Wondering if that might work or maybe the housing is too out of round to seal. It doesn't appear to be, but it is leaking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to be VERY careful when assembling the pump to the tank to prevent pinching and damaging the O ring. It is good practice to lube the O ring with good 'ol wheel bearing grease before installing it on the pump. Smear some grease on the O ring again and where it seals inside the tank and then CAREFULLY assemble the parts together and carefully and evenly tighten the bolts. I would NOT recommend using a sealer. Some pieces silicone floating around inside the pump would NOT be a good thing.
Good luck,
Bob
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
RJMerc
Racer

OK, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

You may think I'm crazy but do you still have the old o ring. There is nothing I take for granted anymore when it comes to replacement parts so if It's in good condition you may want to give it a try.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 AM
RJMerc
Racer

Funny you mention to use the old O ring. I measured both and the replacement was 0.13 while the original was 0.14. So I reused the old one and greased it up with thick grease like Bob suggested. I've got it on the bench full of power steering oil and so far no leaks. Not sure what will happen when in operation, but so far it's looking better. Thanks for responding!

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump Leak Help!

Quick Reply: [C2] Power Steering Pump Leak Help!