C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'57 steering colum question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Jim Rosenthal
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '57 steering colum question

I have gotten some seat time in my 1957 Vette, now that we have it on the road. Here's a question about the steering colum: when I sit close enough to the dash that I can comfortably get the clutch pedal all the way in, I am too close to the wheel. I can drive it, but really wish the steering wheel was about four inches closer to the dash, and away from me. So,,,

Does any vendor make/sell a shortened steering column? I remember reading that this was done to race Vettes from the factory back in the 1956-57 era. I can see why, now. Or, has anyone had to deal with this problem and what did they do for it?

One end of the steering shaft goes into the steering box; the other end is splined for the steering wheel to slide on to. The steering shaft seems to run in a sheet metal tube which is what you see inside the car and engine compartment. We measured and determined that four inches would be as much as we could move the wheel; after that it creates interference with the turn signal lever. But it would sure make a difference in driving comfort and ability.

Thanks for help, in advance.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jim Rosenthal
I have gotten some seat time in my 1957 Vette, now that we have it on the road. Here's a question about the steering colum: when I sit close enough to the dash that I can comfortably get the clutch pedal all the way in, I am too close to the wheel. I can drive it, but really wish the steering wheel was about four inches closer to the dash, and away from me. So,,,

Does any vendor make/sell a shortened steering column? I remember reading that this was done to race Vettes from the factory back in the 1956-57 era. I can see why, now. Or, has anyone had to deal with this problem and what did they do for it?

One end of the steering shaft goes into the steering box; the other end is splined for the steering wheel to slide on to. The steering shaft seems to run in a sheet metal tube which is what you see inside the car and engine compartment. We measured and determined that four inches would be as much as we could move the wheel; after that it creates interference with the turn signal lever. But it would sure make a difference in driving comfort and ability.

Thanks for help, in advance.
The 53-57 steering columns and 58-62 columns are different lengths (58-62 is a few inches shorter). Otherwise, they are totally the same and totally interchangeable.
If you can round up a 58-62 column/box, that would be the easiest solution.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

58-62 steering columns are 3 1/2 inches shorter / closer to the dash.

I made the same change on my 56, replacing it wit a column out of a 1960.

58-62 steering columns are not that hard to locate. Make sure you get a good one, or one that has gone through a restoration.

It is a bit of a pain to install with the engine in the car, but it can be done.

I had the best results by removing the radiator and center grill.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To '57 steering colum question

Quick Reply: '57 steering colum question