C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Turn Signal Switch Problem 66 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New Turn Signal Switch Problem 66 Coupe

Situation: I just finished replacing my broken turn signal switch in my 66 (telescopic column) with a new complete mechanism and harness from Eckler's (but manufactured by Lectric Limited). When a turn, left or right is selected with the turn signal lever, I can hear the flasher flashing but have no turn signal indication lights on the dash cluster with the lever in the detent, HOWEVER, the tail lights are blinking correctly at this point as selected, left or right. But, the front parking lights ARE NOT blinking at this point. When I apply a little bit of (down or up) pressure to the turn signal lever, I get all lights flashing correctly including the dash turn indicators. There is no hazard warning system installed on my car.

I called Eckler's and their tech folks tell me it must be a wiring problem with my car.. The car has recently received the installation of NEW (Lectric Linited) wiring harnesses, front, ignition and rear. All of my lights and other electrical systems work perfectly, with the exception of this turn signal issue. I have not called Lectric Limited yet to verify the wiring diagnosis, but at this point I have to believe it is a faulty switch. How is a wiring problem possible if I can make all the turn signal indication work by holding pressure on the lever? Of course I'm not looking forward to a PITA re installation again until I verify that the switch (the tiny bent wire contacts inside the switch) are most likely the culprit.

Anyone out there who has had experience with a similar problem, please chime in...

Thanks

Last edited by Tcheairs38655; 02-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

That does sound like a switch issue from the description. What a PIA.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess it's possible that it's a ground issue and that by holding pressure on the lever, I'm making ground somehow. The only ground straps currently attached on the car at the engine block to frame and the ground straps at the exhaust hangers (2). The lights are all grounded too. I put in a call to the Lectric Limited tech guru who is supposed to call me back today.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

The only ground in the steering wheel is for the horn. Does the turn signal lever lock in position and cancel when you turn the wheel in that direction and then back to center?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:35 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

I have the same symptoms with the repro turn signal switch in my car. The rear lights flash fine when the turn signal lever is engaged but not the front parking light lamps. A little extra down pressure (left turn) or up pressure (right turn) gets the front lights flashing. .. The problem appears to lie in the switch internals. The extended fingers on the turn signal cam force a couple of thin metal 'springy' strips to come together and close the circuit. The metal strips reopen when disengaged. Wear and heat over time might contribute to the metal strips losing some temper and not coming together as they should when engaged.

It's been a while since taking the repro turn signal switch apart to tweak/bend some spring back into the metal strips. I don't remember if there were two sets of contacts, or one set. That might explain why the rear signal lights work but not the fronts without adding a bit more pressure on the turn signal lever.

John
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Here's a picture of how the switch works. You can see how the rear could work but not the front. The dash indicators work off the wires going to the front so that's why they are also out. The contacts in the picture marked left front and right front are not making unless you press harder. Unfortunately, either way to fix it you'll have to go back in. Also unfortunately, it's hard to get a quality aftermarket turn signal switch.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

It's the switch. The dash indicators are coupled to the same switch terminals as the front turn signals. It's not a ground issue because the dash indicators are grounded to the cluster housing while the front lamps are grounded through the harness to the radiator support. The vendor doesn't want to own up to the poorly made switch. It's possible to do some creative terminal bending inside the switch, but I don't recommend it. Too easy to make things worse like the brake lights not working.

You can see the problem looking at the pic 65 GGvert thoughtfully posted. When you move the lever, the ribbon contact touching the center Brake Light Switch post is moved to push against the R or L ribbon contact wound around the Turn Signal Flasher post. The inner ribbon is supposed to push the outer ribbon into contact with the L or R Front Turn Signal post, as the case may be. Your switch when the lever is moved to the turn "detent" position doesnt move the outer ribbon into contact with the respective post.

Last edited by Avispa; 02-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, here's what I found out in a consultation with the Lectric Limited tech guy. He said he hears of this same problem often for repro units manufactured in China. It's in the unit and it becomes deformed when all the screws are tightened down. Lectric Limited DOES NOT manufacture these units for Eckler's. Eckler's says that their units are mfg in the US. That's fine but I've already got the new switch and harness out of the car and packed up to return to them. They agreed to honor my return purchase price. I ordered a replacement from Lectric Limited which "they say" is mfg in the US using the old GM molds for the nylon mechanism.We'll see.....

Anyway, I'm going to hook up and test when it comes in before I go through the pulling wires contortions again.

65GGvert, thanks for posting that diagram/photo of the contact box. I wouldn't know how to bend any of those little thingamagiggies and would most likely destroy the unit if I tried. Who knows, may be back to the days of sticking the old tattooed arm out the window (but that won't work at night)...

Thanks all. I'll post how it goes with the Lectric Limited switch.

TC

Last edited by Tcheairs38655; 02-12-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tcheairs38655
Ok, here's what I found out in a consultation with the Lectric Limited tech guy. He said he hears of this same problem often for repro units manufactured in China. It's in the unit and it becomes deformed when all the screws are tightened down. Lectric Limited DOES NOT manufacture these units for Eckler's. Eckler's says that their units are mfg in the US. That's fine but I've already got the new switch and harness out of the car and packed up to return to them. They agreed to honor my return purchase price. I ordered a replacement from Lectric Limited which "they say" is mfg in the US using the old GM molds for the nylon mechanism.We'll see.....

Anyway, I'm going to hook up and test when it comes in before I go through the pulling wires contortions again.

65GGvert, thanks for posting that diagram/photo of the contact box. I wouldn't know how to bend any of those little thingamagiggies and would most likely destroy the unit if I tried. Who knows, may be back to the days of sticking the old tattooed arm out the window (but that won't work at night)...

Thanks all. I'll post how it goes with the Lectric Limited switch.

TC
Can work if you go really old school and hold a lantern in your hand

Get notified of new replies

To New Turn Signal Switch Problem 66 Coupe

Quick Reply: New Turn Signal Switch Problem 66 Coupe