C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-1 bonding adhesive ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM
blackvette7661
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C-1 bonding adhesive ?

What bonding adhesive do you use glueing C-1 fiberglass. I have been using a product made by AXSON TECHNOLOGIES (APF 7) It was recommended by a top corvette restorer. I don't know where i can buy it. If there is a compatible bonding adhesive i would like to know, or where to buy the APF 7. What i like about it, is it is thick enough to bond areas that are not a perfect fit such as side fenders around the firewall and other bonding strips that are not a tight fit. Some of the products like vette bond and others are not very thick and tend to sag
Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvette7661
What bonding adhesive do you use glueing C-1 fiberglass. I have been using a product made by AXSON TECHNOLOGIES (APF 7) It was recommended by a top corvette restorer. I don't know where i can buy it. If there is a compatible bonding adhesive i would like to know, or where to buy the APF 7. What i like about it, is it is thick enough to bond areas that are not a perfect fit such as side fenders around the firewall and other bonding strips that are not a tight fit. Some of the products like vette bond and others are not very thick and tend to sag
i

i used 3M panel bond adhesive, 08115. I can't recommend it enough. It is a great adhesive though it's not thick and will sag. Many others use and I did as well Vette Panel Adhesive from Evercoat. It's thicker and can fill pretty good gaps. But for my money the bonding strength of the 3M is just way better. I did use VPA all over the body as body filler, not the final coat but to work everything in less than 1/6".
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I have been using Lord Fusion products for years on all of my Corvettes . Great to work with and never had a problem on any of my cars .
Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

APF-7 is the best polyester bonding adhesive. It is hard to find in small quantities for purchase, but I believe Lee Bumb Composites (Sermersheim's) sells it by the gallon. I personally won't use anything else.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:22 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

VPA (Vette Panel Adhesive), is like liquid stone!

Pat
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
VPA (Vette Panel Adhesive), is like liquid stone!

Pat
Evercoat VPA.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've been using the SEM 39747 two part epoxy...

For mid year cars it's perfect because the drying color is correct and it affords you a long cure time so you can move and tweak stuff while it's drying.

The down fall is that you must have the application gun to apply it to the car. Now, some paint and body supply shops will loan you the gun... but when you use this stuff you only use what you need. We even saved an old tube so that we can flush the nozzle with thinner when we are done. and re-use it.

I've found this glue works way better than the original GM two part epoxy because it's got a way slower cure time... and sadly, while I love the Shermershiem stuff... it's got the part of the same issue the GM stuff had... it dries pretty quick. The 39747 is better again because you don't have to rush to get the panels bonded in the proper place. If you go to my tech page you can see where we used it on both the front end installation on the 65 convertible we restored and we also use it on the 68-75 headlamp header bars.

IMHO... and to each their own....

But I love the stuff.

Willcox.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 PM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought it from axson. They have a minimum order of $ 250.00 It is a great bonding and can be used as a filler also. It works on fiberglass and smc. JBL
Old 02-14-2019, 06:39 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want to use Vette Panel Adhesive just buy some ground glass. It's just ground up fiberglass that you add to your adhesive to give it whatever body you want. Find a boat supplier they will have it. It takes very little to thinkin Vette bond so it won't sag.

My personal favorite I used to buy from Corvette Image. I did dozens of panel replacements with there adhesive.

Last edited by aworks; 02-14-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:55 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

I had good results using Lord Fusor 127ez panel adhesive. Working time of about 60 minutes. It was easy to get final panel alignment and set just so without feeling rushed.

https://www.lord.com/products-and-so...ive-%28slow%29

A first time around using Eckler’s Bonding Adhesive didn’t go well. As a test the fender lip (C2) piece that bonds to the parking panel wouldn’t hold fast to the panel when pulled apart with finger pressure. After re-prepping the pieces and mixing the bonding adhesive per product instructions the test
was repeated three times. Each time, same result. .. A second quart of EBA was ordered up as a ‘maybe the first quart was bad’....nope, same results.

Afterwards, the Lord Fusor was ordered up and tested on some scrap fiberglass pieces. It took a hammer and putty knife to break the pieces apart. VPA was used as a filler material.

John
The following users liked this post:
MrTrim (02-15-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 AM
blackvette7661
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input I ordered the APF7 from LEE BUMB
Old 02-18-2019, 11:10 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,435 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by blackvette7661
Black Vette - what are you repairing or bonding? and what is the goal? NRCS Restoration or driver quality? Are you trying to reproduce the factory look or just worried about the sag? - Depending on what I am bonding and what look I am going for I have several products I like. Corvette Image sells a product that they claim looks like the factory grey bonding material - I have not tried it. For unreal strength - I use Glasin' - to give it an OE look I dab it....... VPA is an awesome bonding material - it does like to run - you can add chopped glass (I buy a 5 lb bag of 3/8 chopped off EBay) - I aslo use a 3M panel bonding - it also looks OE with the squeeze out ! Do not use body filler and Do no use Bondos fibgerglass jelly.
Hope this helps

Get notified of new replies

To C-1 bonding adhesive ?

Quick Reply: C-1 bonding adhesive ?