C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Not For Sale - Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:50 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Trump will vote for Pelosi for president before the son-in-law, or anyone else, restores any of those as they are now. Hopefully they will realize their best and most profitable option is to rely on someone who can combine knowledge of the cars with knowledge of the market as OP is doing, and sell them off one by one. May take longer than an auction but IMHO opinion that's just too many "projects" to dump on the market all at one time.

BTW - thanks for posting those pics. Amazing! And proof that the old cliche is true - you CAN'T take it with you when you go!
The son-in-law is just waiting for the widow to pass away so he can get control of all of these and sell them off for his own profit. Makes me sick to think about it, but she is keeping peace in the family by not selling off all of the old Corvettes.

Her daughter actually told her one day that she (the daughter) was upset because her mother was selling off her inheritance. Mind boggling. The daughter is going to inherit a 160 acre farm and cattle ranch, with a four bedroom house, and two rental houses, and she is worried about this. No, her @#%%$#@ husband is worried about this.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
The last rear body section photo appears to me to be a 58 based on the trunk floor cutouts for bumper bracket access.
This one?

Old 02-16-2019, 09:55 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Ed; that's what the definition of a Noble Man is - doing the right thing - Wish you well - GV
The following users liked this post:
emccomas (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

sad,all that stuff has sat in the weather for 1-50 years,,most of its not worth much,but some could be the ''holy grail'' of car parts

all those parts,and 99% of people even corvette guys now they fit something-but what years?
back then a lot of parts didn't fit and were ''hand-fitted'' to cars

the only real way to figure it out would be to take everything and somewhat clean it,lay it out in a big building and go thru it piece-by-piece

I just went thru this with a friend,
his child hood friend passed and he had a 20 room school filled with cars/parts,after 2 weeks we barely scratched the surface of what was there
Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
sad,all that stuff has sat in the weather for 1-50 years,,most of its not worth much,but some could be the ''holy grail'' of car parts

all those parts,and 99% of people even corvette guys now they fit something-but what years?
back then a lot of parts didn't fit and were ''hand-fitted'' to cars

the only real way to figure it out would be to take everything and somewhat clean it,lay it out in a big building and go thru it piece-by-piece

I just went thru this with a friend,
his child hood friend passed and he had a 20 room school filled with cars/parts,after 2 weeks we barely scratched the surface of what was there
It is definitely a challenge, but one that I enjoy (most of the time, anyway)

I don't expect to sell off all of the cars and parts before the widow passes. The son-in-law has convinced her that he will restore the old Corvettes for the grandchildren.

Ha!

I am not sure I would get into a vehicle after this dude did an oil change to it, much less a restoration.

Last edited by emccomas; 02-16-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I know a lot here mouth about EBay. It's my favorite store. You don't have to know anything about the value all you have to know is how to post pics. The world will tell you what it's worth. A 57 Nomad had to be fairly rough to bring $6300. I would gladly give that for a decent shape nomad and I'm not looking for one. Yep there is going to be work envolved but when you ship it you know it's sold and you don't have to deal with all of the lowballers and tire kickers.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

You're a good man Ed! I can't believe the so called friend would offer her $500.00 for a '57 Nomad. She's lucky you stepped in and put a stop to that nonsense!

That barn/storage building full up parts is amazing. Man....I would just love to rummage through that stuff to discover what's there. It sure looks like she's got a lot of value in parts alone.

Great watching your posts on the cars, and/or the parts!

Pat
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Trump will vote for Pelosi for president before the son-in-law, or anyone else, restores any of those as they are now. Hopefully they will realize their best and most profitable option is to rely on someone who can combine knowledge of the cars with knowledge of the market as OP is doing, and sell them off one by one. May take longer than an auction but IMHO opinion that's just too many "projects" to dump on the market all at one time. l:
LOL - I like the predictability of that vote, but think you're absolutely right. Those cars will never be restored, will continue to deteriorate, and the widow is being held hostage by the family for the daydream of those cars being saved at the cost of what she could sell them for, or the parts. I would bet actual money against that family none of those cars will ever be rationally drivable again. But, it's their cars and their money.

The "good news" is that those of you with early C1s have more valuable and unique cars due to those rust buckets not being real cars anymore.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Parts

You can probably make at least one good car with those parts.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Wonder what Paragon would give you for all that stuff. Seems like they also have a graveyard of old corvettes.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts

We all know the son in law will do nothing. You could tell her that if the son in law really wants to get these cars, he needs to go clean all those parts areas up. Put up shelves, organize and label everything. If he is to lazy to do that then she should sell it all. I’m glad you are sticking up for her.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The parts collection is probably worth more than most of the cars.
I see the kids, or maybe teenagers, enjoyed playing trampoline on the roofs and hoods.
Sounds like Hillbilly central around there.

Doug
Old 02-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
LOL - I like the predictability of that vote, but think you're absolutely right. Those cars will never be restored, will continue to deteriorate, and the widow is being held hostage by the family for the daydream of those cars being saved at the cost of what she could sell them for, or the parts. I would bet actual money against that family none of those cars will ever be rationally drivable again. But, it's their cars and their money.

The "good news" is that those of you with early C1s have more valuable and unique cars due to those rust buckets not being real cars anymore.
What makes it worse is that when the son in law finally gets control, he will put an extreme value on those poor old relics and they will sit there ANOTHER 30 years because nobody will pay what he dreams they are worth. Actually, most of those either COULD be brought back, or could be good donor sources for keeping other cars going. I have seen a '57 which was in very similar shape to those turned into a gem. But it sounds like the offspring are controlled by greed and will likely wind up with LESS money in the long run.

(And yes, Rhino, I figured there's about zero percent chance of either of those scenarios I mentioned actually happening! )
Old 02-16-2019, 12:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

And I thought I met had met an interesting group when like Dick Guldstrand died. I actually went up free, or for discount parts to see if they could continue the parts line business. They had dreams of making all kinds of money, but wouldn’t listen, wouldn’t learn what I was showing them, telling them. They even had customer projects apart, that they didn’t know what was what, laying around! If I was crooked and evil, I could have handed them a fraction of what a Tri-carb set up was worth, that belonged to a car down in the garage belonging to a customer.
Therefore unless someone in control of that horde becomes a Corvette expert fast, I can’t see real parts coming out of there easy to complete a whole car, unless someone spends considerable time and is given access to find everything (near impossible I would say) or if someone comes along who is willing to just buy it all!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-16-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:08 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Ed, you are one of the "good guys" to help out here. I've done this in a few cases, on a vastly smaller basis, and it's a lot of work.

Unfortunately, the pool of buyers seems to get smaller and increasingly opportunistic (borderline savage) with the passage of time.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe

Unfortunately, the pool of buyers seems to get smaller and increasingly opportunistic (borderline savage) with the passage of time.
Man ain't that the truth.

I was involved pretty good in one of these deals. With the exception of maybe 3 friends of the deceased, all the other "friends" had an embarrassingly open and verbal feeling of entitlement to everything on the cheap.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:53 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
The dilemma as I see it is that many of those parts have no value unless the seller knows what they are. The knowledge needed to value them is not free. If they hire an expert to tell them much of the stuff is worthless, they will have to subtract that cost from what they get from the stuff that has value. Alternatively they can spend the thousands of hours needed to become knowledgeable about their stash and that is not free either. They are not going to get anything near the true value of their stuff unless they can talk someone into providing that knowledge free of charge. That would seem a huge task for even a generous friend.
Dead right. Have seen this several times with hoarder situations. The sad thing was,valuable as the parts were, (car parts, guns, antiques,etc.) they would have been worth six times more had they been STORED properly. Lots of un issued civil war era weapons rusted and pitted (seatrain leaked and had peeing rats in it), and lots of NOS chrome and electrics and steering wheels and you name it, stored on the dirt floor of chicken coupes. Amazing how much better valuables keep if they are stored inside, off the dirt, in a dry area.

Get notified of new replies

To Not For Sale - Yet?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elwood13
We all know the son in law will do nothing. You could tell her that if the son in law really wants to get these cars, he needs to go clean all those parts areas up. Put up shelves, organize and label everything. If he is to lazy to do that then she should sell it all. I’m glad you are sticking up for her.
I steer clear of the "family" situation. I work for the widow.

I have told everyone, including the son-in-law, that is she wants those cars burnt to the ground, I will go get the gas and the matches.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I figure that there are 5 restorable Corvettes out there. The 1954, both 1956s (although one will take quite a bit of work), the 1957, and the black 1962.

But, I did see doors and trunk lids for some of the "basket case" cars, like the Turquoise 1960 up in the attic.

The son-in-law was given a fairly complete 1960 roller when the husband passed away. He has done absolutely nothing with it since then (8 years or so).
Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
As a footnote, let me says thanks now to all who DO NOT quote the original post and force us to download all those photos yet again.
Amen brother!
I think the "Quote" button should not be available to some.
Unlimited bandwidth or not, I DON'T need to see the same pics loaded 5 times in the same thread!

By the way, there is a MOUNTAIN of great stuff there jv

Quick Reply: Not For Sale - Yet?