C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Not For Sale - Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
From what we have seen about them, they may be the ones doing it!
That would take some motivation, and they don't have it.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

A before anyone asks, I have looked over and over for 1958 trunk spears. If he had them they are stashed somewhere secret.

I did find a beautiful set of 1st type 1956 exhaust manifolds (2 bolt ram horn manifolds). They were sold a while back for $2K for the set.

The late husband also had a couple of FI units. A 58 unit that had been cut and welded back together, and a 62 unit. They were also both sold on Ebay a while ago.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04

AS for the cows disappearing, the widow suspects "undocumented workers - yes that is illegal aliens from directly south of the US Border" that moved into a house across the street from her farm.

Shotgun is ready is she can catch them in the act. Police do not want to be bothered with it.
But they have to 'do' something against the law before they're illegal aliens. And the police and DA will find time to be bothered if she does something to defend her property.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kellsdad
The dilemma as I see it is that many of those parts have no value unless the seller knows what they are. The knowledge needed to value them is not free. If they hire an expert to tell them much of the stuff is worthless, they will have to subtract that cost from what they get from the stuff that has value. Alternatively they can spend the thousands of hours needed to become knowledgeable about their stash and that is not free either. They are not going to get anything near the true value of their stuff unless they can talk someone into providing that knowledge free of charge. That would seem a huge task for even a generous friend.
The above remindsd me of when my Father-in-Law pased away...he was a spinning records as a DJ from the time he was in HS to the time he died. My M-in-Law was left with 1000s of 45s. Most of which she had no clue what they were worth.

She spent a bit of time on her own and then with one of her husbands friends to sort through things. She did manage to sell off some of the more valuable on ebay and then sold the remaining as a lot. It was a ton of time and effort to do that and she barely scratched the surface of things. I think she got almost $500 for one of them and that went to a collector in Spain of all places...

Back to the Vettes - man, I'd love to walk through and pick up extras for my '60. There a about a dozen things that I spotted with a quick look that would be great to have!

Good luck with things. This type of thing isn't easy!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Looks like the fiberglass has all " Dry Rot" being exposed to the rain, sun, fungus, snow for many decades. Fiberglass becomes brittle after the finish is gone and exposed to the sun all those years being outside. You could probably stick your fingers through the brittle fiberglass from 50+ years being in the sun and elements. I am sure the frames are the same.

I would salvage the small parts that are in good shape and sell on E-Bay.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert61
But they have to 'do' something against the law before they're illegal aliens. And the police and DA will find time to be bothered if she does something to defend her property.
Their presence in this country is a violation of the law, but the law can't be bother with people who are in this country illegally.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Looks like the fiberglass has all " Dry Rot" being exposed to the rain, sun, fungus, snow for many decades. Fiberglass becomes brittle after the finish is gone and exposed to the sun all those years being outside. You could probably stick your fingers through the brittle fiberglass from 50+ years being in the sun and elements. I am sure the frames are the same.

I would salvage the small parts that are in good shape and sell on E-Bay.
We have fixed a number of cars with glass this bad in the past. Usually it involved some sanding to get it somewhat smooth, and then a coat of sandable spray on gelcoat.

Some of the frames are gone, but most have stood up to the weather. There is a stack of 6 C1 frames under the overhang next to the garage.

Last edited by emccomas; 02-17-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Kids wont be restoring anything. Sad to see that stuff rot, get stolen and leftovers sold off for peanuts.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 AM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I just went shopping on eBay. I picked up NOS top fender spears and cove moldings. I was trying to get a better price on shipping as I thought one was a little high. But then I looked at what others were asking for the same parts and I bought them. That's what makes buying used trim hard I bought this stuff still in the paper for less than I could buy used and have it polished.
Robert,
When I purchased my fender spears I had the seller send them via USPS in a piece of 2" pvc. Both ends of the pipe were sealed with duct tape. Worked great! They arrived undamaged and the shipping cost was very reasonable.

Rick
Old 02-18-2019, 09:32 AM
nrbc7
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Hats off to you jv04 May God Bless you for your efforts ! 👍🏻 It’s people like you that makes this the greatest nation on earth .

Last edited by nrbc7; 02-18-2019 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
emccomas (02-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Not For Sale - Yet?