C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restomod Auction Values

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:25 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
11.1 is only one tenth away from 10.99.
HUGE bragging rights difference between an 11 second car and a 10 second car!!!

Remember that 99.9375% of "Factory Speed Claims" by ANY Manufacturer ...are done with Factory Racing Drivers...under PERFECT track, weather and engine tuning Conditions...
Porsche would have LOVED to Claim....a 10 Second and change time!!!....Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 02-28-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I knew this was coming! And it's .011s.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

For a minute there....or more specifically 2 tenths of a second... I thought Robert61 math skills were a product of a Failed California School System Education....then I saw that Robert61 is from Olive Branch Ms....

Sooooo....there's goes my theory!....Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 02-28-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

I'll take Mississippi over most of California any day!

Last edited by Robert61; 02-28-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 AM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I knew this was coming! And it's .011s.
Actually it's .11...Counting hundreth's ...Not thousandth's......Whew!

Last edited by wolfman64; 03-01-2019 at 12:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sidepipe seeker (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 AM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

I'll take Mississippi over most of California any day!
Hello Robert61.....You must have spent some time here in California...being that you added the caveat "over most of"....
California has ALL the potential and resources to be a "Paradise".....just "1" problem...Politicians : ....Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 03-01-2019 at 12:38 AM.
ptjsk (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 AM
scubadds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just turning 49 and I am in the middle of a LS swap on another vehicle.
As I got deeper into the LS swap, I realized that I like the original design of the vehicle more than I thought.
So I sold (yesterday we shook hands on the deal) my LS project and am putting funds into a 30k miles '65 Coupe

Perhaps my feelings are what we may see happen in the car market. As an example: I was at a Cars and Coffee two weeks ago and a restomod C1 (LS swapped and chassis) had the hood open.
I could have cared less to look at whatever newer motor he had put in there. The latest and greatest put in 3-4 years ago is now dated by a newer LS variant... His LS is nice and they did a great job on the engine bay, but I would have been more interested in learning what "should have been in there". It was generic looking; too perfect looking,
Maybe if I had the chance to drive a vintage vs a restomod; I might feel differently.

But I predict the pendulum will shift back and there will be fewer original cars, hopefully worth more at that time.

The saying "it is only original once" means something to me now. I like some honest wear on a few items, the proper smell and feel of the dated interior is more attractive that something just ordered out of a catalog and re-popped in china...
;57
I hope the C2 market might stay strong; I have 0 interest in owning a model T, nor a XKE Jaguar, nor a 50's era car. But as the corvette is still such an icon, I feel the older corvettes will keep their values.
I am not speaking for the younger guys that want a 240z, or a MR2 or a Pontiac Fiero; But I fell like the early corvettes will always been relevant
Old 03-01-2019, 07:08 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

I must admit, I find this post very unusual from you after your previous posts. Must be you had a complete change of heat in the last week.
Originally Posted by scubadds
As I got deeper into the LS swap, I realized that I like the original design of the vehicle more than I thought.
So I sold (yesterday we shook hands on the deal) my LS project and am putting funds into a 30k miles '65 Coupe

Perhaps my feelings are what we may see happen in the car market. As an example: I was at a Cars and Coffee two weeks ago and a restomod C1 (LS swapped and chassis) had the hood open.
I could have cared less to look at whatever newer motor he had put in there. The latest and greatest put in 3-4 years ago is now dated by a newer LS variant... His LS is nice and they did a great job on the engine bay, but I would have been more interested in learning what "should have been in there". It was generic looking; too perfect looking,
Maybe if I had the chance to drive a vintage vs a restomod; I might feel differently.

But I predict the pendulum will shift back and there will be fewer original cars, hopefully worth more at that time.

The saying "it is only original once" means something to me now. I like some honest wear on a few items, the proper smell and feel of the dated interior is more attractive that something just ordered out of a catalog and re-popped in china...
;57
I hope the C2 market might stay strong; I have 0 interest in owning a model T, nor a XKE Jaguar, nor a 50's era car. But as the corvette is still such an icon, I feel the older corvettes will keep their values.
I am not speaking for the younger guys that want a 240z, or a MR2 or a Pontiac Fiero; But I fell like the early corvettes will always been relevant
Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

;57
I share your feelings on originality and have only owned numbers matching Corvettes....

BUT you're wrong on the "latest and greatest" restomod thing as has been debated many times. I can show you restomods that are 12 to 15 years old that still go for $130K or more....

No top shelf restomod I know of (and I've seen a lot come out of Florida shops) plummets in value in a decade -- and yes you can drive the snot out of them. Many of them have "tried and true" LS3 motors that have stood the test of time (and value)...

I wish these myths would dry up and blow away...
Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
Hello Robert61.....You must have spent some time here in California...being that you added the caveat "over most of"....
California has ALL the potential and resources to be a "Paradise".....just "1" problem...Politicians : ....Mark

The politicians didn't get there by themselves! And no different than California, there's plenty of Missipy I wouldn't live in. And it's still .11.
sidepipe seeker (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
scubadds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will probably all be doing "tesla" swaps in the future.....
I probably am wrong about the long term value of restomods; there is a butt for every seat; and a wallet to match I guess

As noted, I have gone from wanting a basket case '64 and asking about adding a split window to it...
to now wanting and finding a survivor coupe.
I think I started out when I saw a C2 at a shop getting work...they had a '64 that they wanted me to restomod.
The entry cost seemed doable, So my research here began....
However, the total cost seemed more than I wanted to go into, especially having a LS frame off Scout going and a second diesel scout that needed some love too.

So, I sold the LS Scout when I found a low mile '65.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:00 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

;57
Me too!!!

You can have the best of both worlds with an original engine car. If you stroke the engine, add stealthy aluminum heads, 5 or 6 speed, stealth sound system etc.

You can have over 500 h.p. and all the gears you want. At your typical car show 99% of people will never spot the heads or the 5 or 6 speed. You don't have to advertise how many gears you have and can leave the stock 4 speed shift pattern. For people that want to talk about the car it is up to you hat you want to disclose.

With the above modifications many people will pay MORE for the car with them as long as you still have the "born with" engine in the car most are happy to have the extra h.p. in disguise. With the stroker kit you get the stronger rods that eliminate the Chevrolet weak spot and with the new roller cams you can easily see 500+ h.p. under 6000 rpms. with a SM and MORE with a BB. If you don't want to use the roller cam you can get there with more rpms. The aluminum heads allow you to run higher compression on pump gas without detonation and lower engine temps.

It is MUCH cheaper to do it this way than go the full blown retomod route where you are competing with the next NEW build that has the latest and greatest mods and they spent $200K or more to get there.

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Stan's Customs (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
baker19
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Made me Laugh

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
I knew your claim of "a quarter of a mile in 10s"...was..."Optimistic"...at times...fishing is akin to Sports Car ownership..in that...in fishing the fish are always BIGGER & in Car ownership...the car/s are always FASTER!!!....11.1 Seconds in the 1/4...is FLYING!!!!!....Mark

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-cabriolet-991
I just saw all this commentary from my comment about the Porsche turbo cab quarter mile times. Made me laugh. 0.11 of a second is really irrelevant to my general comment about how hard it is for a restomod to compete with a modern high performance car. By the way, same source - it's 10.8 seconds for the Turbo S. They're pretty spectular cars. Just go watch a youtube video of the launch from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with the sports chrono turned on...no drama, just sets your eyeballs into the back of your head. And they can do it all day long.
https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-cabriolet-991

I'm actually supporting the restomod argument. While I love the original designs of the C2s and especially the 63 SWC, I personally was not interested in an original car. I'm hacking up a SWC for a full restomod and while I'll pay homage to the original design on the outside, there will hardly be an original nut or bolt left when I'm done. I think the LT5 755 hp were working on now to drop into the Art Morrison chassis should be a slight improvement in performance than the 340 hp that came in the original car. If done right, the cars will be desirable and marketable for many years to come but like others, I don't really care because I'm building this one to keep indefinitely.
Zoomin (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Soon a driver condition will compete with restored examples

bring it on.
totally agree, sure will make the hobby more affordable
How many of todays car nuts really have 40-100k to blow?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Quite a few apparently. At least more than C1/2's
Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

My intention is NOT to come across as a financial elitist, that being stated...a new Honda is approaching $40,000.00 after taxes, licence, registration.

https://www.motortrend.com/price/30-40k/

So I feel that $40,000.00 - $100,000.00 should not preclude many from pursuing their acquisition of a Sports Car that they have coveted....and for some/many....that coveting may have spanned decades...

That..."Wish I should have".....looms insurmountable....when Kharon is rowing you across the river Styx!!!....Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 03-02-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Population has gone up
Market for C1/C2 cars is worldwide
Upper/middle upper class people have more money than ever
Corvettes are NOT like Model Ts and other virtually undrivable antique cars
If you own a 1962 C1 (the NEWEST of the C1s), you are at least 70 to have an emotional connection to the car when it was new. So why are so many C1 owners well under 70?
And there is still a slow reduction of these cars in the market making them rarer than ever.
Logic is much the same for C2s as well.

This hobby is not going anywhere even if it does change over time, as all things do.
sidepipe seeker (03-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Restomod Auction Values