C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Engine block casting date

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Did your car have the faux front fender,behind the wheel "gills", and the center hood chrome piece? I have only seen the fender gills on one car, back in 1972, when a neighbor had one. i think they were factory and not add ons.
Doug
It had the special hood with faux chrome intake screens, but not the fender "gills" - the fender "gills" didn't start until the 1968 model.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
When I was with Chevrolet Engineering in 1966, Chassis Engineering special-ordered a '67 SS427 with the L-72 engine and 4-speed for evaluation; the L-72 was not a retail-available combination (SS427's came with a 385-hp hydraulic-lifter engine), but Engineering got it built anyway.Turns out it was the ONLY L-72/SS427 built, and I "tagged" it for employee purchase as soon as I found out about it, before it was built at Flint Assembly. It was identical to the Impala SS in the photos below except it was an SS427. Wish I still had it today, but it probably became a pile of iron oxide in the 80's. I removed the tag from the left fender reinforcement before I sold it and threw it in my toolbox.

Awesome car and cool story!!

Ed

Quick Reply: Engine block casting date