C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Protecto plate machine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Here is my take on it. Its interesting, historic and....rare. I dont think its super valuable. I personally dont care about a cars paperwork. I always assume tank stickers, bills of sale etc are always fake. If you buy a car based on a plate or piece of paper, you are in trouble. If the car checks out and shows all the characteristics of what its supposed to, then paperwork is a nice addition.
Its easer to counterfeit a car than paperwork. Fake trim tags POP window & tank stickers are almost always different than real ones.
PS the machine here looks like a trim tag not a POP machine. No 2 machine fonts are the same & the one the Corvette plant used for all the POP & TRIM tags at the S. L. plant was the same ones for all the years. AO Smith had their own Trim tag machine but the POP was made at S.L.so all POP's would be alike. as I recall.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

This machine is not unlike a machine a DMV uses to make a drivers license, not literally but in kind and deed. That is to say, there is no legitimate reason to own one (unless it can be modified to make something else) other than to make plates for the purpose of misrepresenting a car. Those who possess one and those who admire it can smile at one another and pretend "its a neat thing to have." It is as neat as a press that prints cash and about as useful.

Dan
The following 2 users liked this post by dplotkin:
GTOguy (02-19-2019), rsinor (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
Its easer to counterfeit a car than paperwork. Fake trim tags POP window & tank stickers are almost always different than real ones.
PS the machine here looks like a trim tag not a POP machine. No 2 machine fonts are the same & the one the Corvette plant used for all the POP & TRIM tags at the S. L. plant was the same ones for all the years. AO Smith had their own Trim tag machine but the POP was made at S.L.so all POP's would be alike. as I recall.
No its not.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

While there are certainly collectors out there for anything I would think this would be an exception. I certainly would not want to dedicate space in my garage or man cave and certainly Not in the wife’s living room. So, it will have little value to anyone unless they were going to use it and try to compete with other long time people that are already making this limited sale item.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Cool purchase.

There are a lot of guys buying stuff like this, not particularly to use it but to just have it.

Heck I've always wanted a Norden bombsight!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This. ^^^^. I have an old friend that has one of these machines and a bunch of blank plates. He's had it for decades. A big Chevy collector. His is in his man cave, a display-only item. He has never, and will never use it. In the wrong hands, this could ruin the hobby and the value of many rare cars. An honest person would disable the machine. The only value this machine has, other than historical, is to counterfeit base level cars into very rare ones.Not a good thing. To a collector, the machine is not worth much $$$. To a criminal, it is worth a bundle. Which are you?
Part of the never ending " what do you need, I can make it happen " crowd. The engine restampers were soon exposed for the perfect flat block pad surface now have a machine to properly restore the original scoring prior to the " authentic " stamp. Hemmings Motor News runs their ads without concern of documentation misusage. I completely understand the seller with a rare perfect original piece asking four times the current value. This is simply supply and demand. No attempt at fraud for more silver coins. If you appreciate the hobby for what it is a " replacement tag or hacked description engine identification number " will NEVER damper your commitment . Those of us with " non exotics " and no intention to enter the arena of rare will continue enjoyment of Americas only production sports car.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

You could not fool anyone with one of these. The patina would not be correct. If you start making them, let me know.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
You could not fool anyone with one of these. The patina would not be correct. If you start making them, let me know.
Patina may or not be correct..............you can age aluminum........but if you read the book on Trim Tag Authentication by Grenning and Sinor, they state that certain irregularities are present in the characters and numbers for both the blanks and for the final stamped tag. These character/number irregularities were the result of hand made dies that were then used to make the production stamping plates. So not all machines are equipped/capable of making tags with these same irregularities...........in fact only a few were so equipped. That is how to tell an original from a reproduction.

Supposedly there were two machines at the St Louis Plant that were used for the Corvettes. AOS tags are different spaced, so AOS may have had a couple of machines as well. But apparently all the blanks were made at one location on identical machines or a single machine......since all the blanks are identical. Not certain how many other machines shared the same stamping plates made from the original hand made dies.

FWIW.

Larry
Old 02-19-2019, 04:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryder814

THis is the Addressograph-Multigraph Machine .
When I was a kid, our family insurance agency had an Addressograph-Multigraph machine just like that in the break area, to make plates for another machine that addressed flat mailing boxes that held 12 books of Hinckley Agency, Inc. matches; when I went to the office every couple of months to go to Vannelli's for lunch with my Dad, it was my job to run the flat boxes through the imprinting machine, stuff the boxes with cellophane 12-packs of matches, and fill big cardboard boxes to take to the post office on the way to lunch with Dad. The secretaries who kept track of the customers made the steel Addressograph imprinting plates. At lunch, Dad had oysters and (several) martinis and I had a boat of Vannelli's great spaghetti.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

John,
Isn't it amazing how something as simple as a picture can bring back such vivid memories? Something tells me that spaghetti was pretty darn good!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

John,
Vannelli's rings a bell but where was it?
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Like I said not sure that this is rare desirable item
The following users liked this post:
kenba (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by provette67
Like I said not sure that this is rare desirable item
I agree. Some don't want facts to get in the way of what they think.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ricks327
John,
Vannelli's rings a bell but where was it?
East side of Woodward between 6 and 7 Mile Road.

Last edited by JohnZ; 02-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
East side of Woodward between 6 and 7 Mile Road.
Okay, I had a Aunt & Uncle that lived on Brentwood, 1st block south of 7 Mile. Not a good neighborhood today.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ricks327
Okay, I had a Aunt & Uncle that lived on Brentwood, 1st block south of 7 Mile. Not a good neighborhood today.
Wasn't a great one in the 50's either (had a Cyclone fenced-in parking lot with a security guard then), but the food was outstanding.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Mailbu Beach
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryder814
Good morning. I am in possession of what I believe to be an original GM protecto plate machine. It is made by Addressograph-Multigraph. There is a model number and serial number. How can I properly identify what I have ?
The St.Louis Corvette Plant machines were sold at open auction when the plant closed. The auction was advertised on St.Louis radio The Corvette Plant had two machines, each machine had its own unique stamping characteristics. I interviewed the guy that stamped the Corvette plates in the 60’s ( Ray Barnes ). Not sure how many machines were at the Chevrolet plant or the truck plant.

Get notified of new replies

To Protecto plate machine

Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mailbu Beach
The St.Louis Corvette Plant machines were sold at open auction when the plant closed. The auction was advertised on St.Louis radio The Corvette Plant had two machines, each machine had its own unique stamping characteristics. I interviewed the guy that stamped the Corvette plates in the 60’s ( Ray Barnes ). Not sure how many machines were at the Chevrolet plant or the truck plant.
So who bought the two machines?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mailbu Beach
Would they need 3 embossing machines? one for VIN #'S one for trim tags & one for the POP'S ? From what you say whoever bought the machines can make perfect tags that were bought at the auction. HUMM
Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kenba
Would they need 3 embossing machines? one for VIN #'S one for trim tags & one for the POP'S ? From what you say whoever bought the machines can make perfect tags that were bought at the auction. HUMM
seeing how GM stop making POP in 72 why would they keep it around any longer. The trim tag styles changed after 67 did the same machine do both? The vin tag changed too and had diffreant font was it the same throughout the years? And seeing how every GM plant producing cars and trucks had the same machines and I would think multiply ones where they all the same.

Quick Reply: Protecto plate machine