C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Craigs list

Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 AM
plaidside
CF Senior Member

Default OT - Craigs list

I have a brake lathe for sale on the site and I received this offer. The guy is persistent! What do you think?

Him: Hi. I'm Ronald, I'm interested in your lathe you have on CL? What will be the least you will take for it ?Me: Hi, I am Joe. This is a great lathe and I just cut 4 rotors with it.i am the only one who usex it. I will take 450.Him: Fair price. I'll write a check and i'll include money for my movers. Deduct your pay and pls give rest to my movers when they pick up. Ok?Me:I do not accept checks. Have your movers come with cash.Him: Why? I will mail you your payment a cashiers check through the regular USPS and when you get the check cashed and your pay in your hands, then you can now let me know when my movers can come for pick up, Sounds good?
Him: Hello. Did you get my last text?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Todd H.
CF Senior Member

Typical scam line.

Don't exchange emails with him or click on any links he sends.

So you're texting with him. What happens when you call the number?

I never deal with anyone who wants a set-up like this, and I insist on talking to them. Usually makes them go away. And the cash is a good idea, too.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Robert61
CF Senior Member

Scam. I wouldn't have any further correspondence with him, none. The Internet is full of these. I don't know how,they use your bank info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert61 For This Useful Post:
ptjsk (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Rob_64-365
CF Senior Member

No thanks cash only, if you dont.like that, we have no more to discuss... bye!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob_64-365 For This Useful Post:
ptjsk (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Ken Sungela
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

scam
Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 AM
oemtech
CF Senior Member

My answer to these scammers is, "Cash or Paypal only" or tell them they can pick up the item once the check clears my bank. This usually stops 90% of them.

If I want to mess with them I ask them to FedEx or USPS Express Mail the Check. Once I receive it I wait a day or two to see if they respond. If I fell like messing with them some more I tell them I didn't get it and to resend it or tell them they pick up at a specific address as I will be out of town. The address is the local police station.

Last edited by oemtech; 02-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM
3JsVette
CF Senior Member

$$$$$ Cash only and as ridiculous as this sounds no $100 bills unless you verify they're good.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

scam, I had a cavalier on CL for a month, noted it needed a motor-does not run. I got so many contacts like that I finally just had a junk yard pick it up. I have sold some things online and always told the buyers it was a cash only deal.

How about this one, I sold a set a heads on ebay in Nov with pick up only, no shipping No interest for over a month, then one Saturday I come in for the day and a guy calls from CL, I did run the heads there as well. He is local, is real, has cash and wants to come get them. No problem right? he is only 30 minute away. Well I come in to pull the ad off ebay and sure enough someone bought the heads. The buyer is out of state but will p/u within 2 weeks. I contact him right away and told him I had a buyer coming in before I could pull the ad, he said , no they are mine - paid for them and will get them. The local guy from CL shows up with cash in hand and I told him the story. He leaves disappointed, I feel bad, and I am still waiting 3 months later for the buyer to pick up the heads. After 4-5 emails requesting him to get them I stopped emailing.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:51 AM
dcamick
dcamick
Support Corvetteforum!

Hate to be this way....With 100% of my dealings on CL.......Gone Bad! (Go Kart and Tires)....."My Dad is sick, he always wanted me to have a Racing Kart" .......... "I'll have my Courier pick up the tires" BS.....I will not go there, EVER!

Have a Great Daytona 500!!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

ads on CL are wacked,,all I get are people

1.first q is ''whats your bottom dollar'' ,,,price is in the ad,so we can start there
2.can you deliver it
3.i'll be out sat,but i'll call first,then fri night,you get an email asking you for a lower price,or it not what they wanted [after 2-3 other people do the same thing]
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,335 Times in 2,647 Posts

I don't get it - I sold my 2006 Dodge Durango on CL in 2 days for 300% more than I was being offered on eBay...
Cash deal, local buyer...
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
kolsen911
CF Senior Member

I was recently selling some wheels from my Classic Mini. Got a response similar to yours. What got my attention was "my movers will come by and pick them up". Your Movers??? What's that? I don't want Your Movers coming over to my house and my garage. He said he'd sent a cashier check also. When I said I'd bring the wheels and met him half way after the check cashed he never called back.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
dcamick
dcamick
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I don't get it - I sold my 2006 Dodge Durango on CL in 2 days for 300% more than I was being offered on eBay...
Cash deal, local buyer...
You have "the magic touch" Frankie.......I just have had bad experiences with it.....
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,335 Times in 2,647 Posts

Maybe - we had two "thugs" (Ramontrae and Dontae - yes, their real names) in their teens shoot and kill a young father in front of his son when he met with them to sell them a mini-bike off CL - over in Tampa Bay area...two years ago... You have to be damned careful...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Mike67nv
CF Senior Member

2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I've sold quite a few things on CL over the years - everything from a transmission to a snow blower. I always tell people responding with interest that it goes to the first one arriving with cash in hand. By sticking to cash only, first arrival (no holds), I've never had a problem but your location may be playing into it also - Northern Nevada is not a highly populated area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike67nv For This Useful Post:
Bowtyeguy (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM
1Cerberus4u
CF Senior Member

May be interested in your lathe if you can get it to NH or meet me 1/2 way? Do you have pics?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:19 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,021 Times in 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Maybe - we had two "thugs" (Ramontrae and Dontae - yes, their real names) in their teens shoot and kill a young father in front of his son when he met with them to sell them a mini-bike off CL - over in Tampa Bay area...two years ago... You have to be damned careful...
These guys sound like Celtic Bangers from the old country! (not). I've also had good luck with CL, but maybe it was simply that....luck. Sold my 4Runner in 45 minutes after I listed it and sold a 5th wheel trailer hitch with no haggling in a single day. Have also bought stuff locally with zero issues.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Robert61
CF Senior Member

I found a 66 Lemans convertible on Craigslist. It was in Kennewick Wa. I'm in Ms. I talked to the guy and wanted pics of the floors in the back seat and the trunk. He said after a few minutes of talking with me he decided I was serious. I said yeah is there any way I could find one further away. I tried researching him as well as I could. His wife has a successful business there and he was a former hockey player. I still didn't lil sending that kind of money blindly. I went to my bank to do the bank transfer and I had her call their bank. The lady at their bank knew them well and said they were great people with a good reputation. I wired the money but I still didn't like it. He Fedexed the bill of sale and title as soon as the transfer was complete. It all went as anyone would want but it's hard to do a transaction like that with all of the BS now days.

And what FTF mentioned has happened here on several occasions.

Last edited by Robert61; 02-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Saddletan
CF Senior Member

I do my CL cash transactions in between the County Sherrif’s and the Highway Patrol buildings.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Rickscar

Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
My answer to these scammers is, "Cash or Paypal only" or tell them they can pick up the item once the check clears my bank. This usually stops 90% of them.

If I want to mess with them I ask them to FedEx or USPS Express Mail the Check. Once I receive it I wait a day or two to see if they respond. If I fell like messing with them some more I tell them I didn't get it and to resend it or tell them they pick up at a specific address as I will be out of town. The address is the local police station.
I regularly listen to a financial talk show called "the Clark Howard show". He says though your bank deposits funds into your account much sooner, it may actually take up to 6 weeks for a fake cashier's check to bounce. When the fake cashier's check bounces, you're the one left responsible and they then take the money back out of your account

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: