C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car Shows And Theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:00 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If I ever get to the point I need to lock my car and roll up the windows to go to a car show I'll never go again. I'll leave the doors open the windows down the hood up whenever I feel like and to this point of never had an issue. I stay with my car most of the time because I too enjoy talking to people about it and answering their questions, seeing the kids faces. It's fun for me or I'd stay home
Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Not necessarily a "southern thing" but living in central Florida around all the theme parks and attractions some venues have attendees with a cavalier attitude towards classic cars, many are foreigners (yeah I said it).... They:

a) think the vehicles are there purely for their enjoyment - however they define that and,
b) may come from cultures where there is absolutely no understanding of the musclecar era or its mystique and,
c) are drunk....

I've seen it all and experienced some of it, so, I'll attend certain shows but I stick close by the car.....and have this sign on it:

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-17-2019 at 07:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), davekp78 (02-18-2019), dcamick (02-18-2019), theodude (02-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I've had my Corvettes in a million of these shows, they always get a good dose of attention.
I leave them alone. I walk around and I never gave theft a second thought. I even leave the keys in them.

Where and when is your next car show? Hahaha
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I've had my Corvettes in a million of these shows, they always get a good dose of attention.
I leave them alone. I walk around and I never gave theft a second thought. I even leave the keys in them.

While you're walking around some yokel takes a cell phone picture of your registration from the glove box with your address on it and makes off with a set of keys to the car...

What could go wrong ??

I'm sorry but that's just foolish IMO...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-17-2019 at 07:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Brian VH McHale (02-17-2019), CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:28 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Car Shows...…A place where criminals like to shop. Frigging azz hats need to be hung by their *********!

Pat
Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM
rsavage1
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

I have gone to local car shows almost every weekend from the end of May through early October for the past decade or more. I have never had a problem with theft. Windows down and trunk and hood open. Worst problem that I have encountered are smaller kids who want to see in the car or truck and attempt to climb up the sides while their clueless parents remain oblivious. I stay by the car mostly but take several walks during the day. I only took the 61 to two shows last summer as I bought it in late July. Didn't win anything. I am spoiled and used to winning at local shows with either one of my former GTO's. (now my kids') or a 71 Blazer. I enjoy talking to people and I have made many car friends over the years. I do wish that the shows ended at about 2:00 pm as opposed to the usual 4:00 pm as I am more than ready to go by that time.
The following users liked this post:
Bowtyeguy (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been to many show and never had a problem with theft. I always leave windows down and hood open and usually am pretty much away from the car. The only time I have had to get in anyone’s face was at an out of state show where a guy with a strong accent (OK Frankie a foreigner) was bent bound an determined that his young son was going to sit on the front end of my black Vette so the Jerk could take a picture. I explained to him in a nice pleasant voice that it wasn’t gonna happen, I may have mentioned his mother’s marital status..........but he got the message.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been to many car shows here in Indiana and have never had a problem. I lock the glovebox, roll the driver's side window down and raise the hood. I keep the doors locked and the passenger window up with my reproduction window sticker in the window. I'll stay with the car all day and take brief walks. Mostly, it's a good time and a chance to meet other car guys although I agree with a previous post that those shows that go long (I've seen them as late as 8pm) can be a drag. $.02

Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 930 Likes on 532 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My buddies and I go all summer long, hood up, windows down and never had anything stolen or ever heard of anybody having something stolen. We’ll go off to eat and ask our neighbor to watch our cars, no problem ever. I put my garage door opener in the glove box or my pocket.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
While you're walking around some yokel takes a cell phone picture of your registration from the glove box with your address on it and makes off with a set of keys to the car...
What could go wrong ??
I'm sorry but that's just foolish IMO...
Foolish is thinking I keep my registration in the glove compartment. I have a wallet for all that stuff.
tuxnharley (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Rider
I have been to many show and never had a problem with theft. I always leave windows down and hood open and usually am pretty much away from the car. The only time I have had to get in anyone’s face was at an out of state show where a guy with a strong accent (OK Frankie a foreigner) was bent bound an determined that his young son was going to sit on the front end of my black Vette so the Jerk could take a picture. I explained to him in a nice pleasant voice that it wasn’t gonna happen, I may have mentioned his mother’s marital status..........but he got the message.
Similar - found this chick sitting on the Hood of the car with studded jeans wriggling her a$$ across the paint - not f#@king impressed.

It's not what's on show that gets' stolen; it's what's in the car park that gets stolen, while the punters are strolling around looking at the cars on show. - last show several went "missing" including 2 x L88 - Professionals scout these shows knowing people will be away from their parked cars - an easy target.
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:18 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

I do a fair number of shows. Only ever have photocopies of pre-73 registrations in the car anyway (NYS). Leave the windows open all the time, Battery cut off switch ‘off’. I leave the hood closed when away, open when there. Who wants to see an open hood anyway? The beauty of the car is the lines with the hood closed in my mind.

If I’m there and any kid shows interest, I’ll Put them behind the wheel and take their pic. Cars are to be shared! Some shows I’ll take two cars with one of the kid and leave it there.
Bowtyeguy (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Reeseb
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't taken my car to many shows yet but, since I added an original teak wheel, I've started to worry about theft. If someone knew what they were doing, they could have that wheel off in 5 minutes. I thought about finding some torx screws to help prevent theft.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

1) this thread isn’t complete without tom posting his .44’s in leather holsters. Tom?

2) I have little patience for shows, or clubs
trumanjd1 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
1) this thread isn’t complete without tom posting his .44’s in leather holsters. Tom?

Will this do instead? The '33 Chev Roadster.
Doug

CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I enjoy going to car shows but I don't go to show off my cars, I go to look at all the others, chat with friends and people watch. Then I can leave whenever I want.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I enjoy driving my collector car to outdoor car shows and I have even entered a few of them. If I drive there as a spectator, I can lock my doors and my hood is closed. I can also leave once I've had my fill of checking out the scenery. If I enter my car in a show, I am usually expected to have the hood open for display and most likely have the windows rolled down to the open position for the attendees to get a better look at the interior. I could break out a folding chair and hang out with my car and keep an eye on it. But I never like to sit with my car all day. But I can't really leave it unattended because of (aside from idiots opening doors, leaning on your car for photos, errant baby strollers, etc.) is outright component theft.

All of this to ask a question: What do you now remove from your Corvette so that it doesn't get stolen in plain sight ?

I assume:

- Cigarette Lighters

- Fuel Caps (Wasn't there a rash of solid-axle fuel cap thefts awhile back, based on the value of originals ?)

- Original Air Cleaner Wingnuts

I haven't had my '66 Coupe in a show in a few years, so what else is out there that is being boosted from our old cars these days ?

Ray
I guess there must be more thieves & scumbags on the West Coast than the East! I've done hundreds of shows as have my friends and never had an issue. Most people know FL is a carry state and most people do. Most thieves know if they were to get caught they're leaving that show in a body bag!

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows And Theft

Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

2) I have little patience for shows, or clubs
I’m with you, Benton. When I bought my car, I assumed I would enjoy the car club and car show stuff. I don’t. Turns out I’d rather be out driving my car. Who knew?

Steve
Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At car shows I've attended, I've had fuzzy dice stolen (I now stash them under the seat); stuffed animals (I don't keep any in the car now); and pin-up magnetic do not touch signs stole (have not replaced). What grinds my teeth the most is that they had to get into the car while I was gone to get this stuff; they didn't just reach in. Somehow seems more of a violation.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

In all the shows I’ve attended over the years, I’ve only had one issue and it wasn’t theft, it was idiocy.

PA (or Pennsyltuky as some will say) has some awesome shows that are very well attended. One annual show I always enjoyed took place in a park near King of Prussia. It often had several thousand cars and many more attendees. I parked my ‘41 ****** with a 502 bbc and tunnel ram with dual Edelbrock 600cfm carbs. The car ran flawlessly until I went to leave the show. It barely started ran horribly, shuddered, balked and almost stalled. If you are familiar with Edelbrock carbs, you know they have those large knurled mixture screws with a slotted head for a screwdriver, but can easily be turned by hand. Some azzwipe probably showing off to his friends twisted all four in various directions while I was away from the car. I’m actually glad I didn’t see him do it as I’m not sure what ill advised thing I would have done. Pure idiocy.

Quick Reply: Car Shows And Theft