C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car Shows And Theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

My typical setup at one of the seven or eight Corvette shows I attend yearly with my '62. My little canopy and chairs are right behind it where I can keep an eye on things, and we C1 guys tend to locate together as a group so that we can keep an eye on each others cars when one of us wants to go walkabout for a while. The windows are up, but if anyone (particularly anyone very young or very old) asks to sit in it I will usually comply. None of us have ever lost anything (yet), but we are aware of the problem. it's a shame, but this is the age in which we live. Very few people have respect for stuff that isn't theirs.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Car show "security" issues...

Over the past couple of years I got into the car show scene and entered my car in about a dozen per year, and even won about 10 awards/trophies with it over that time; but I just sold that car and moved on to a new C7 that I do not plan to show, etc. However, I do enjoy attending the local show/cruise events with friends and will certainly continue to do so. I've never had any problems/incidents other than kids leaving their "paw prints" all over he car while their parents stand by obliviously. Around here though, there are a few really big shows that are so popular that it's impossible to park nearby; so for those I pay the entrant fee--and consider it the cost of a parking lot at an entertainment venue--and park near the exit so I can leave when I want to.

BTW, there's a gizmo that I used to hold the door open but block entrance to the car from a company called Kwik-Toy (I think that's the name) that connects the door latch mechanism in the door to the strike plate on the car that allows the car lock mechanism to be "locked," while on display, and you'd have to have gorilla arms to reach in to the car to try to take something out of it. It's certainly not fool-proof, but it is a little deterrent. The "plus" is that it allows spectators and show judges to look into the car to check out the interior.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
David, how about using a different picture next time? This is the third time I've saved the picture, only to find I already have it on my computer !!!

It is such a beautiful car...

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
My typical setup at one of the seven or eight Corvette shows I attend yearly with my '62. My little canopy and chairs are right behind it where I can keep an eye on things, and we C1 guys tend to locate together as a group so that we can keep an eye on each others cars when one of us wants to go walkabout for a while. The windows are up, but if anyone (particularly anyone very young or very old) asks to sit in it I will usually comply. None of us have ever lost anything (yet), but we are aware of the problem. it's a shame, but this is the age in which we live. Very few people have respect for stuff that isn't theirs.

I have just one question. How do you get that pop up and those chairs in that car to get to a show?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
In all the shows I’ve attended over the years, I’ve only had one issue and it wasn’t theft, it was idiocy.

PA (or Pennsyltuky as some will say) has some awesome shows that are very well attended. One annual show I always enjoyed took place in a park near King of Prussia. It often had several thousand cars and many more attendees. I parked my ‘41 ****** with a 502 bbc and tunnel ram with dual Edelbrock 600cfm carbs. The car ran flawlessly until I went to leave the show. It barely started ran horribly, shuddered, balked and almost stalled. If you are familiar with Edelbrock carbs, you know they have those large knurled mixture screws with a slotted head for a screwdriver, but can easily be turned by hand. Some azzwipe probably showing off to his friends twisted all four in various directions while I was away from the car. I’m actually glad I didn’t see him do it as I’m not sure what ill advised thing I would have done. Pure idiocy.
I had someone pull half the plug wires on my '33 3 window, BBC. No damage but just upsetting someone would do that. Why?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:07 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

So I go to the shows, leave the keys in the ignition, leave the open signed title in the glove box (thinking about moving it to the passenger seat), and put a sign on the dash that says "Take me home, I'm free.".

No one has ever taken me up on this opportunity. Cannot figure out what the problem is?

I am calmly sitting immediately behind the car with a double barrel shotgun in my hands, just to make sure no one bothers the person that is trying to steal the car.

Seriously, I leave the hood open, but the doors locked and the windows rolled up when I an not actually next to the vehicle. There are always people sitting nearby, and I am sure no one knows for sure whether or not it is their car.

And yes, quite a few high dollar gas caps were stolen from C1 cars at Carlisle a few years ago (which happens every year). Carlisle is so big that the owners cannot always guarantee that someone will be nearby. The smaller local shows are not as big of a problem in our neck of the woods.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:49 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
And yes, quite a few high dollar gas caps were stolen from C1 cars at Carlisle a few years ago (which happens every year). Carlisle is so big that the owners cannot always guarantee that someone will be nearby. The smaller local shows are not as big of a problem in our neck of the woods.
I was there that year and I believe it occurred between late Friday night and early Saturday after most of the spectators were gone and discovered the next morning when most of the owners returned. It was suspected that the thefts occurred sometime during the night.

There are a lot of folks there throughout the night, but most are in their campers, tents and RV's after a certain point. No doubt the thief or thieves, whomever they may have been, had scoped out the field earlier in the day and knew exactly where and when to go. There was quite a panic the next day as word spread and some of the plans for the following night were quite hilarious. It's probably fortunate no on found out who they were that weekend or the outcome could have truly been ugly.

GUSTO
Old 02-18-2019, 12:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I was there that year and I believe it occurred between late Friday night and early Saturday after most of the spectators were gone and discovered the next morning when most of the owners returned. It was suspected that the thefts occurred sometime during the night.

There are a lot of folks there throughout the night, but most are in their campers, tents and RV's after a certain point. No doubt the thief or thieves, whomever they may have been, had scoped out the field earlier in the day and knew exactly where and when to go. There was quite a panic the next day as word spread and some of the plans for the following night were quite hilarious. It's probably fortunate no on found out who they were that weekend or the outcome could have truly been ugly.

GUSTO
Thats right. I think the circumstances regarding the thefts at Carlisle and its massive expanse and 24 hour situation is not remotely comparable to the risk of someone getting a gas cap or a cigarette lighter out of a car parked in Joe’s Weekend Show ‘n Shine with 100 cars there.

Of course there are scumbag thieves everywhere and people should keep an eye on their cars and take reasonable precautions but let’s be reasonable. I showed cars constantly in the 70-90s and never had an issue beyond the occasional dope or kid putting his hands on the paint. Once at a World of Wheels a completely drunk chick walked around the stanchion, opened my door and sat in the passenger seat. I asked her if I could help her and she said she was ready to go home. I directed her elsewhere.
mrg (06-20-2020)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
. Once at a World of Wheels a completely drunk chick walked around the stanchion, opened my door and sat in the passenger seat. I asked her if I could help her and she said she was ready to go home. I directed her elsewhere.
I think the response would situational depending on: Her age, what she looked like and if you were married or the wife may find out.
Doug
Old 02-18-2019, 01:59 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I think the response would situational depending on: Her age, what she looked like and if you were married or the wife may find out.
Doug
All good considerations
Old 02-18-2019, 02:00 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

David, how about using a different picture next time? This is the third time I've saved the picture, only to find I already have it on my computer !!!

Good luck... GUSTO
100% This car is gorgeous !!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Doug
Actually, my patient, polite response were in fact affected by the above variables.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts

I stopped doing the Cars and Coffee in the Mall parking lot in Knoxville. Guys with their belt buckles, ladies with their pocketbooks and strollers are too much for me. I do the Corvette Expo every year and haven't had any problems with theft or vandalism.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Wayne88
Foolish is thinking I keep my registration in the glove compartment. I have a wallet for all that stuff.
Its your car so do as you please - the registration was just an example of a misdeed that could take place with the keys in the car, there are certainly others...
Old 02-18-2019, 02:49 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I have just one question. How do you get that pop up and those chairs in that car to get to a show?
I carry a 10x10 popup, two chairs and a bag of supplies in my 60 trunk and still have some room left. Everyone always asks me how I got the tent there, somtimes they watch me put it all back. Can't do it in my C2 convertible, but I do have a 6x6 pop up and chair that I put behind the seats.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:02 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Once at a World of Wheels a completely drunk chick walked around the stanchion, opened my door and sat in the passenger seat. I asked her if I could help her and she said she was ready to go home. I directed her elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I carry a 10x10 popup, two chairs and a bag of supplies in my 60 trunk and still have some room left. Everyone always asks me how I got the tent there, somtimes they watch me put it all back. Can't do it in my C2 convertible, but I do have a 6x6 pop up and chair that I put behind the seats.
I hate those pop up tents. I was parked across the street from one at a car show with tacky paintings hung all over it. The POS caught a stiff wind and somersaulted towards my 61 flinging cheap art all over the place. I barely held it off my car in the wind until two other guys pitched in to help.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Brian VH McHale (02-18-2019), CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), ctmccloskey (02-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shows And Theft

Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,220 Likes on 515 Posts

Once at a World of Wheels a completely drunk chick walked around the stanchion, opened my door and sat in the passenger seat. I asked her if I could help her and she said she was ready to go home. I directed her elsewhere.
Ahem ! You really did that !

The following 3 users liked this post by roadster65:
C.T. (02-18-2019), CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), provette67 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Sometimes I am the only car at the show. But that is oK. So I don't remove anything except my beer money!

Last edited by provette67; 02-18-2019 at 08:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by provette67:
mcb55-210 (02-24-2019), mike coletta (02-20-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Good luck... GUSTO
LOL - I only have about 60 pictures of the '62. anything in particular you would like to see? I can send you a few . . . Here's one that shows just how different Fawn Beige looks under different lighting conditions. This was taken at the Street Rod Nationals held here in Syracuse every year. About 5000-6000 cars, we were asked if the Syracuse Corvette Club would put together an indoor display of classic Corvettes. Why, sure. Glad to.

Last edited by fyreline; 02-18-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fyreline:
Brian VH McHale (02-19-2019), CorvetteBrent (02-19-2019), GUSTO14 (02-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Car Shows And Theft