C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Major issues with weatherstrip.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Major issues with weatherstrip.

Has anybody else had issues with reproduction weatherstrip lately? My 67 coupe doors fit perfect when I took them off. I put them back on and did a little gap work and after adding the weatherstrip for final fitment, they won’t even close unless I slam the sh*t out of them. I ordered the weatherstrip with the molded rear corner from corvette central. Something is horribly wrong with it and the mounting surface for the weatherstrip is squared off rather than coming to a peak or point.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Has anybody else had issues with reproduction weatherstrip lately? My 67 coupe doors fit perfect when I took them off. I put them back on and did a little gap work and after adding the weatherstrip for final fitment, they won’t even close unless I slam the sh*t out of them. I ordered the weatherstrip with the molded rear corner from corvette central. Something is horribly wrong with it and the mounting surface for the weatherstrip is squared off rather than coming to a peak or point.
Many have reported similar issues...........don't know who the weatherstrip was from in those cases. However, general consensus is best weatherstrip is from Corvette Rubber..........and even this may have some issues.

Besides checking who made the weatherstrip, and considering changing if not CR, I have no other solution or advice.

Larry
Old 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

I didn’t notice the difference in the back until I ripped it back off. Looks more like Jeep weatherstrip than the original corvette weatherstrip. Another f up by Corvette central. I’m done with them for good!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I did use the CR weather strip on my '61 back in 2009, and the doors "did" take some persuasion to close, for several weeks. The first week was the worst. Its all copacetic now, and has been for years, as the WS compressed to its final form. I also didn't have the top window coupe surround to add to the closing pressure needed.

Doug
Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I believe my painter recommended corvette rubber as well.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default c2 weatherstrip

I did the weatherstrip on my 63 SWC a few years back. For the first few weeks, I had to force the doors shut. After a few weeks, they were fine. Just had to compress the polymer for awhile,

Jim
Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Corvette Rubber has long been the "gold standard" for our cars and what is on my 63 with the ONE exception being the coupe upper horizontal door ledge rubber which came from Zip. It was a pleasant surprise as it was correctly formed and sized and quite supple...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Without seeing the weather strip I have no idea if it's substandard or not - but, even with good quality weather stripping it is difficult to get the coupe doors to shut for awhile. Don't slam them as that's a good way to get cracks in your paint around the door handles (if using the handles) and shaking the heck out of the door innards. Instead, move the striker out to where the door close with a reasonable level of effort and leave it like that for a month or so. Then set the striker back a slight amount to where the doors will still close reasonably easily and again, let it set for a month or more. It may take 4-6 months of this - maybe even longer in worse cases - before you can gradually creep the striker back to where it should be, the weather stripping compresses/conforms and the door close normally and fit properly.
The following users liked this post:
Jcpstrat (03-13-2020)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Without seeing the weather strip I have no idea if it's substandard or not - but, even with good quality weather stripping it is difficult to get the coupe doors to shut for awhile. Don't slam them as that's a good way to get cracks in your paint around the door handles (if using the handles) and shaking the heck out of the door innards. Instead, move the striker out to where the door close with a reasonable level of effort and leave it like that for a month or so. Then set the striker back a slight amount to where the doors will still close reasonably easily and again, let it set for a month or more. It may take 4-6 months of this - maybe even longer in worse cases - before you can gradually creep the striker back to where it should be, the weather stripping compresses/conforms and the door close normally and fit properly.
Great point - that's precisely what I did on the split window...

However I've heard of some that put ratchet straps through the coupe windows and snug them down over the roof to pull the doors in over time and force the rubber to take a "set"...I'm not that brave...
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

When I say they won’t shut, I mean they won’t shut. This isn’t a minor “break in” issue, trust me. 😬
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Weatherstrip before paint ? I’m no restorer but is that how it’s done ?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It's RatRod Corvette. Keep painting costs below $25K.

Doug
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM
SWC Tim
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Try www.steelerubber.com . Their weatherstrip is correct and will fit properly.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

i always fit the doors and other parts with weatherstrip. Then it’s removed and I install new weatherstrip after paint. It’s worth the extra time.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDoug
It's RatRod Corvette. Keep painting costs below $25K.

Doug
No, it’s a high dollar pro touring restomod. If I wanted to half *** it, I wouldn’t bother spending a month fitting all the panels to perfection.
C2Racer (03-14-2020)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

i always fit the doors and other parts with weatherstrip. Then it’s removed and I install new weatherstrip after paint. It’s worth the extra time.
OK - got it....
Works best with good weatherstripping before and after paint no doubt...
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

OK - got it....
Works best with good weatherstripping before and after paint no doubt...
No doubt, as long as I can find decent weatherstripping!!!

Thanks for the replies! I will try Corvette Rubber

Last edited by 65silververt; 02-19-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Major issues with weatherstrip.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Actually that is how it is supposed to be done. You buy two sets of W?S if needed. You install it and do all your body work. Then you pull it off and paint the car. You should put the whole car together before you paint it to make sure everything fits perfect. That is why a really nice paint job is really expensive.
RapidC84B (02-27-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Actually that is how it is supposed to be done. You buy two sets of W?S if needed. You install it and do all your body work. Then you pull it off and paint the car. You should put the whole car together before you paint it to make sure everything fits perfect. That is why a really nice paint job is really expensive.
Exactly and thank you!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 131 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the same issues with my car. It turned out the weatherstrip kit I used was imported. The doors wouldn't close properly and neither did the top...The rubber was very hard. I ordered a new kit that is "Made in USA" from Corvette America and I replaced it all. The rubber on the Made in USA was noticeably softer and everything lined up like it should.

Quick Reply: [C2] Major issues with weatherstrip.