C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Kenboire
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spring

Took off trailing arm to replace bearing in 63 convert. Noticed rear spring seems out of line or maybe twisted. Hanger bolt angles backward. Actually out of line about 2-3 inches. Far enough to jam itself in place. Had to knock it loose. Seemed like an unusual problem when I did RR of the differential couple months ago and took spring out but I put it back anyway. Now thinking this issue means a new spring is needed. Car is only a driver, 4speed, 300hp. Problem? Solution? Does the bolt and spring hole ordinarily line up without forcing?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Does it line up if you push up on the trailing arm?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Does it line up if you push up on the trailing arm?
Excellent point!! Alignment of rear suspension components is much better at normal riding height of these components.

Does your spring centering bolt head fit into the small hole in the rear cover?? Is there any gap between the spring and the 4 spring retaining bolts where the spring could twist?? Is the spring correct steel leaf spring for a 63 car??

You could have some mismatched components, but advice from MelWff is probably the solution to your problem.

Larry
Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

If you have a replacement differential cover, it may have a wider cradle for the spring to bolt up to. I have the later C3 replacement cover and they were made to accept a wider C3 spring. Mine has a 1/4 spacer on the forward side of the spring to fill the extra width between the bolts and spring due to the smaller size of the C2. If yours is the later cover, missing a spacer might allow the spring to twist out of place. Dave
The following users liked this post:
Kenboire (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Kenboire
7th Gear

Good idea----thanks. I mulled this over then realized the spring hole is too far toward the rear. So I think if during reassembly the TA is raised the bolt angle misalignment distance would become greater. I guess it depends on where it all starts. The TA is out of the car right now so I really cant test the idea until later. Might be the reason though. Seems the higher the arm the more the bolt would angle rearward thus improving things making it harder getting the spring end high enough to reach the bolt?? I should mention that I remember seeing the bolts angled rearward to the spring before I took the differential out when the car was on jack stands. I guess I didn't notice a misalignment when the car was on wheels with the suspension loaded. Is it normal for the bolts to angle rearward when the suspension is hanging? I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Kenboire; 02-19-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Kenboire
7th Gear

Thanks---I will double check the assembly for misfit parts. It s a driver with a foggy history and plenty of abuse and mixed parts.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Kenboire
7th Gear

Thanks for the clues. Seems like the spring guide bolt ought to keep things centered but I will double check. Seems like it went into place when I reinstalled the differential. I will look carefully again.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:47 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

As long as the spring is out, it's a good idea to disassemble, clean, and check for major corrosion. If it's okay paint both sides with a good corrosion resistant coating like Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and a top coat of black. If some leaves are too corroded for further service you may be able to buy used, serviceable leaves. Reassemble with new liners.

Duke
Old 02-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Kenboire
7th Gear

Thanks for the idea. This is the likely solution.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:26 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You didnt sheer a bolt? Is it one side or both? I have seen some broken off in the diff case!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-22-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spring

Quick Reply: Rear spring