C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] looking for help with convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:50 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default looking for help with convertible top

Looks like I may have to replace my convertible top on my recently purchased 65 vert. The top looks new but somehow the frame will not come to a fully closed position middle point of the window when the top is up. One person says the top was not properly installed and was trimmed too short. When it is latched you can see daylight thru the center area of the front bow where it fits against the header.
I have an awful time getting pictures posted which would help I know. I will try though later

Last edited by blue max; 02-20-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:49 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I would grab a GM assembly / Chassis manual to use in inspecting and adjusting the frame and latching mechanisms as well as the weather stripping, before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Worn parts and poor adjustments are generally the cause of poor fit and operation and some can be corrected without removing the top, ALTHOUGH, I have never encountered as much poor fitment problems on the other convertibles I have owned as this Corvette.

I believe in leaving the top down unless water is involved, this eliminates the stress of the problem (not the top, yours). Don't stand in the rain and look at the top nor sit inside and expect to remain dry.

Ron
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

Pictures would certainly help, however if I'm reading you correctly when fully latched in the front and locked down at the rear deck you can see daylight through the center of the header at the front and the rear window is not completely up? if that is the case it sounds like the two strips that attatch the rear bow to the bottom of the rear of the frame my be installed incorrectly, is there slack in both those strips or are they bow strung. they would be on either side of the rear window there is not a whole lot of trimming involved installing a new top..
The following users liked this post:
blue max (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Just a note this car has a working aftermarket air conditioning system. So there are times when it is very hot that the top is up and the air is on
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I’ll step into the minority position and recommend that rather than attempt to diagnose your problem by description on line you have a reputable trim shop (one that installs convertible tops for a living) take a look at your top fitment.

They could save you a tremendous amount of time in diagnosing if it is a frame or material error.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like it has a repro front bow. I have had to bend those bows to fit the windshield frame . It can be done with the top installed but I would pull the front of the top off and bend it off of the car and reattach the top. You may have more problems than can be fixed without removing the top and starting the whole process of adjusting the frame and installing the top correctly.
Mark
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Richard, take your car to Corvette Expo next weekend in Pigeon Forge and ask Clint Coffman of Coffman Corvette to take a look at it. I have no doubt he will diagnose the problem in short order. You can probably call him before hand and set up a time for him to check it out.

Al Knoch will also be there in the event you need a new top. It's probably too late to get scheduled for an install while there, but I know they give a show discount.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To looking for help with convertible top

Quick Reply: [C2] looking for help with convertible top