C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:03 PM
scubadds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse

I had posted earlier this week trying to gain some insight into what year C2 and ballpark price range to look into....
Well, of course I found one...
'65 Coupe, black/black laquer, 327/365 4 speed; 30008 miles. believe it to be a numbers car.

The first person I asked seems willing to buy my LS project Scout ii for a decent-ish price and the wheels are in motion to go inspect the '65
The seller has had tons of corvettes and maintains a nice collection of other cars now as I understand.

Just needed to hear one more time...how much do you guys really enjoy the C2 (coupe)
I have 3 kids 12,10,7; But I still have another Scout (a slow diesel) for us; but the reality is we often divide and conquer.
My Scout guru advised that the C2 is fun for a bit, but that will wear off quick? He bases his experience from growing up around them, wrenching on them some and to him I guess they aren't that special....

So I am curious,
when do you guys enjoy (driving I assume) your C2 the most???
Out to dinner with the wife (now it seems Uber is about as easy as driving), special occasions??, drive to your Country Club of choice?
Car shows?, Cars and Coffee?

I am trying to get a handle on the pleasure it will bring, other than looking at it in the garage (and trying to not let bicycles scratch it)
Any insight appreciated....

Popular Reply

02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadds
My Scout guru advised that the C2 is fun for a bit, but that will wear off quick? He bases his experience from growing up around them, wrenching on them some and to him I guess they aren't that special....

I am trying to get a handle on the pleasure it will bring, other than looking at it in the garage (and trying to not let bicycles scratch it)
Your Scout guru is possibly suffering from some form of mental illness; I can't even conceive of the head space where a Sting Ray is not special. I drive my 67 frequently to the coast for coffee, or a couple of days in Monterey, to Yosemite, car guy meet ups, participate in autocross, etc.; anything but to the mall. I've taken it on thousands-of-mile trips around the West. I've owned 21 of these things over the decades, and you'd think I'd take them for granted by now at some level, but I still go out to the garage to gaze at it and smile, run my hands over the compound curves of its flanks, admire the compact simplicity and goodness of the small-block, the perfection of the cockpit, the ....... well, you get the idea. The act of viewing the road across that inviting hood, set between the perfectly peaked fender tops, while swaddled in the preternaturally satisfying interior, transports you to a state somewhere between sexual satisfaction and pleasant inebriation. Cars will never again be so hard-wired to the pleasure center of the car-guy brain as this one, or be such a joy to behold and enjoy. Anyone used to Scout levels of satisfaction must be careful when taking possession of a Sting Ray, lest his head explode upon cranking it up.

Lou
Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

My wife and I often take our C2 to breakfast on Sunday mornings. We also drive it to the golf course when playing (our clubs are stored there, so no issues with cargo space) or showing up for an event. We also just go for drives around town. We get a lot of enjoyment out of that.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Every time I drive one either coupe or convertible it always puts a smile on my face. But to be practical your family of five won’t fit. How much time can you get away from them to enjoy it. Or will having a car with a back seat be more useful Or don’t your kids care about old cars. Answer that and your have your answer
Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I own both a 57 and a 65 and I alternate driving them both and drive one or the other daily. I also have a pick up truck that I drive if the weather is bad but that is not often where I live. I seldom drive either Corvette to the grocery store but nearly every where else. I owned a C2 consistently over 30 years and sometimes had two at the same time. After 30 years I decided it was time for a change and had Mopar muscle for 10 years but now have come back to Corvettes. The 65 is my favorite to DRIVE but the 57 gets more attention from everyone. The 65 coupe gets it's share as well. From this I think you can see I have not tired of driving one.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I think he has them mixed up.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgehead:
GTOguy (02-21-2019), ptjsk (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I just drove my split window to Lakeland NCRS show - 1-1/2 hours down and 2 hours back at speeds up to 85MPH.
The 63 is the most primitive of the midyears with all drum brakes and the most primitive suspension of the breed...

It was a hoot... Comfortable and nimble - the aftermarket A/C helps tremendously...
Lakeland is cursed - it rained all morning and I just finished a 2 hour general "clean up" of the car - which I also enjoy...
Talk to people that drive them and are not just remembering something from 60 years ago..

When I plop down in the seat and look down the hood at the humped up fenders and the center stinger I know there is nothing on average I'll be beside on the road that is nearly as inspiring to pilot.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Bowtyeguy (02-21-2019), dplotkin (02-23-2019), GTOguy (02-21-2019), Mr Fufu (02-25-2019), rsavage1 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 PM
scubadds
Intermediate

thanks
Seems that geographical location has to play a part in the decision to own a C2;
I could imagine it perfect for California type weather (but without the traffic)

I live in Wilmington, NC; near a Country club area; The beach and work are 8 miles away; Our historic downtown area is 3-4 miles away;

It seems more the rarity that we are all in the car at once; (I had to invent a time for us all to ride in the Scout ii when I got it a few months back)
We have two other (new and new-ish) Land Cruisers for school drop off and soccer carpool and games...
Tonight we will meet at the inlaws for dinner and one kid has gymnastics; so we arrive and leave in two different cars... I am sure she would love to ride in a C2 tonight (75 degrees today in mid February)

My older son does enjoy older cars, my middle...well he wants an Audi R8, but likes cars enough...
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 PM
2009stanger
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 18 Posts

I love driving my 65 roadster. I’ve had it for 9 years and it always is a great feeling when I take it out. I live in Maryland so I’m very limited in the Winter. When the weather breaks, I drive it almost every weekend. I have a 5 and 3 year old who also love it. I also enjoy working on it. I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve completed projects mostly by reading old threads on the forum.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:24 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Your "Guru" who said that enjoying a C2 will wear off quickly is sadly mistaken. I've had my 65 for 48 years, and every time I drive it feels just like the day I bought it.
I drive it frequently for the sheer pleasure of driving.

NO Regrets here, ever.
The following 3 users liked this post by capevettes:
59BlueSilver (02-22-2019), Mr Fufu (02-25-2019), tuxnharley (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Buttersvette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

I just bought a 63. I have a 68 corvette t-top from my aunt who passed away, a 62 Daimler, LS1 Pontiac convert tempest, 57 cadillac and a 84 Alfa Rameo Spider.(anybody want this one?) My point is I have updated old cars, many types of old cars and my favorite is driving the 63.(327/4spd) It is like a go cart. It is loud, shifts are hard and it feels like you are driving a race car. Is it as fast as my cts-v or as refine? No ...but the feeling of driving that car is awesome. I can't imagine not driving it or it getting "OLD" I have two high school kids and I drive them in it as much as possible. They love it. They love the special feeling and the thumbs up from everybody else on the road. Yes I have new cars that I drive on long trips, and when it is storming, but everything else I drive one of my classics. My 63 is not original (motor is replacement block) so I plan upgrades in the future. My daughter likes it enough to where she didn't complain when she burnt her legs on the side pipe!! Good luck and I don't think you would regret making the purchase.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Fufu (02-25-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I drive it once or twice a week, depending on the weather. My best drive is a 75 mile trip along the ocean and back home. I drive to the supermarket sometimes and park at the back of the lot. Often there is someone looking at it when I return.

Cars and Coffee a few times per year. No car shows.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
scubadds
Intermediate

(My posts seem to be delayed, sorry if I double tap; but I submitted a response and its not there 30 minutes later)

I think geographic location plays a big role...Today It is 75 degrees ( mid February ) and sunny;

I am in Wilmington, NC - 8 miles from the beach; (with a ton of stoplights in between);

Our family seems to travel in two cars often; as the kids each have events they participate in (cheer, soccer, football etc)
I figure there will be plenty of times to take each child out for their own ride when we can.....
We have two other Land Cruisers, and we still have a Scout ii

Last edited by scubadds; 02-21-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I drive a tractor -esque '61 Corvette, and it's so much fun I've been ignoring my two classic GTO's, which by the way are even more fun now than they were almost 40 years ago when I got 'em. I can't imagine getting 'bored' with any vintage performance car. You actually have to DRIVE them. No cupholders, no bluetooth, no BS. Just a stick shift and a big American V8. As good as it gets!
The following users liked this post:
Mr Fufu (02-25-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I drive a tractor -esque '61 Corvette, and it's so much fun I've been ignoring my two classic GTO's, which by the way are even more fun now than they were almost 40 years ago when I got 'em. I can't imagine getting 'bored' with any vintage performance car. You actually have to DRIVE them. No cupholders, no bluetooth, no BS. Just a stick shift and a big American V8. As good as it gets!
Nope, I have both in my 65. Upgraded original radio and it has hands free phone option too. Double cup holder fits in the ash tray hole.

Last edited by 68hemi; 02-21-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:52 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Swap it over to automatic and install ABS brakes and a back-up camera, and you'll have it nailed!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Your "Guru" who said that enjoying a C2 will wear off quickly is sadly mistaken. I've had my 65 for 48 years, and every time I drive it feels just like the day I bought it.
I drive it frequently for the sheer pleasure of driving.

NO Regrets here, ever.
This! I have had my 67 since 71 - it NEVER gets old or boring!
The following 2 users liked this post by tuxnharley:
capevettes (02-21-2019), Mr Fufu (02-25-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Swap it over to automatic and install ABS brakes and a back-up camera, and you'll have it nailed!!!
Ha Ha. The above is about as luxurious as I want. If it wasn’t just my winter car I would add A/C though.

Get notified of new replies

To '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse

Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

Our '66 convertible has almost completely replaced our Harleys (we both ride). You've decided on a coupe, but driving topless is like riding bikes without helmets, except we talk (somewhat.... sidepipes), she smiles a lot, she was totally unprepared for becoming a celebrity EVERYWHERE whether moving or getting gas and just inventing destinations. I'm certain if I'd a bought a Ferrari (which could have been way cheaper) there wouldn't be just everyone, moms with kids, old guys, etc come up and chat. I'd like to have a coupe to do track day type stuff. But I'm certain the old couple on a date part of it wouldn't be as endearing if she wasn't able to do her best Grace Kelly hair in the wind imitation. Wherever you go you are a parade with folks waving. It's more than driving an old performance car. It's having a town cop chase you in traffic so he can get beside you at the next light to compliment you on your car. And... you looking at him and asking if he wants to race.... both being hugely amused. Mine's in a winter hibernation bubble, but see her several times a day and dang.... every time I can't just walk past it. It's just a joy to look at.

A C2 won't do that for everyone.... but it just might for you also. My only 2 cents is to poll your wife and kids about vert vs coupe. Topless may be more memorable, special, to the wife and kids. The really cool thing is... if it doesn't turn your crank sell it for even or maybe pocket some. Bet you can't do that with a bass boat. Cheers
Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I got pulled over in the 63 coming home through the small town of Winter Garden here...

By a GOLF CART!

The guy hailed me down and hauled over to the roadside and we talked for 20 minutes and he took pictures of the car from all angles and some with his wife in the driver's seat...

A new friend...that won't happen much in your Nissan Altima...
Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Your Scout guru is possibly suffering from some form of mental illness; I can't even conceive of the head space where a Sting Ray is not special. I drive my 67 frequently to the coast for coffee, or a couple of days in Monterey, to Yosemite, car guy meet ups, participate in autocross, etc.; anything but to the mall. I've taken it on thousands-of-mile trips around the West. I've owned 21 of these things over the decades, and you'd think I'd take them for granted by now at some level, but I still go out to the garage to gaze at it and smile, run my hands over the compound curves of its flanks, admire the compact simplicity and goodness of the small-block, the perfection of the cockpit, the ....... well, you get the idea. The act of viewing the road across that inviting hood, set between the perfectly peaked fender tops, while swaddled in the preternaturally satisfying interior, transports you to a state somewhere between sexual satisfaction and pleasant inebriation. Cars will never again be so hard-wired to the pleasure center of the car-guy brain as this one, or be such a joy to behold and enjoy. Anyone used to Scout levels of satisfaction must be careful when taking possession of a Sting Ray, lest his head explode upon cranking it up.

Lou

Last edited by LouieM; 02-21-2019 at 11:07 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by LouieM:
480tfs (02-23-2019), ATL65Vette (02-23-2019), leif.anderson93 (02-24-2019), Lotsacubes (02-21-2019), Mr Fufu (02-25-2019), rsavage1 (02-21-2019), tuxnharley (02-21-2019), USMC 0802 (02-21-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: [C2] '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse