C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Lou - you really need to publish something again - your eloquent descriptive writing talents are being wasted just lying dormant!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Have had ours 21 years now, which kind of answers your question. Still enjoy it going to car shows, cars/coffee, club events.....not something we drive to dinner though...I'd be a bit on edge parking it randomly in a parking lot full of war wagons. The other thing to remember....is if you buy it at a fair and appropriate price, you will not lose money on it no matter how long you keep it. Mine is now worth 200% of what I paid for it back then. You cant say that about a new C7 or any new "muscle car" (other than maybe a Ford GT from a few years ago).

Last edited by gilbybarr; 02-22-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:03 PM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

What can you say … a thousand word picture

Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Buttersvette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh I forget to mention my 63 is a convertible. I have always loved convertibles, you don't seem so boxed in. But that is a personal preference. I can say if you don't want attention this is not the car to buy. Everywhere you go there are comments, people want to talk about it, etc. I teach fourth grade and the kids go crazy over my classic cars. They have never seen them.(they have only seen hondas, minivans and surburbans) They think it is neat to push a button to open the door or use a crank to roll down the window. I can honestly say it is so cool to open your garage and see the 63 rear tailights in the garage. There just are not to many cars with the style of a mid year corvette. Buy it, enjoy it and if you don't like it sell it. Somebody will buy it!!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

This helps the fun factor:
Name:  HcmbJfF.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  985.2 KB

Last edited by OHSIXX; 02-21-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default C2

Your Scout guru is right. Corvettes are nothing special. Keep your Scout.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

When I retired last year, I sold my MB “corporate car” and my ‘64 convertible became my daily driver. I can’t even see the MB in the rear view mirror. I should have made the change years ago.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boyan
Your Scout guru is right. Corvettes are nothing special. Keep your Scout.
Naw. Now maybe if it was an early Bronco.......... no, still not!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I could not possibly elaborate as eloquently. you sir have hit the preverbal nail squarely on the head.
Originally Posted by LouieM
Your Scout guru is possibly suffering from some form of mental illness; I can't even conceive of the head space where a Sting Ray is not special. I drive my 67 frequently to the coast for coffee, or a couple of days in Monterey, to Yosemite, car guy meet ups, participate in autocross, etc.; anything but to the mall. I've taken it on thousands-of-mile trips around the West. I've owned 21 of these things over the decades, and you'd think I'd take them for granted by now at some level, but I still go out to the garage to gaze at it and smile, run my hands over the compound curves of its flanks, admire the compact simplicity and goodness of the small-block, the perfection of the cockpit, the ....... well, you get the idea. The act of viewing the road across that inviting hood, set between the perfectly peaked fender tops, while swaddled in the preternaturally satisfying interior, transports you to a state somewhere between sexual satisfaction and pleasant inebriation. Cars will never again be so hard-wired to the pleasure center of the car-guy brain as this one, or be such a joy to behold and enjoy. Anyone used to Scout levels of satisfaction must be careful when taking possession of a Sting Ray, lest his head explode upon cranking it up.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
LouieM (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Lou - you really need to publish something again - your eloquent descriptive writing talents are being wasted just lying dormant!
Thanks, Glenn! Sting Rays really do it for me :-)
Just for fun I'm finishing up stories from the 200 pages of manuscript that my novelist girlfriend deleted near the end of my memoir, because they "don't move the narrative forward," whatever that means.

For those who came in late, I published a memoir about my adventurous life as a paleontologist in the Arctic; grizzly attacks, wolf attacks, scary aircraft stories, science and beauty. The book is "True North, Hunting Fossils Under the Midnight Sun" by Lou Marincovich and it won a national book award and has become an Amazon #1 best seller. There are lots of great reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.com.

Lou

Last edited by LouieM; 02-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:11 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Your Scout guru is possibly suffering from some form of mental illness; I can't even conceive of the head space where a Sting Ray is not special. I drive my 67 frequently to the coast for coffee, or a couple of days in Monterey, to Yosemite, car guy meet ups, participate in autocross, etc.; anything but to the mall. I've taken it on thousands-of-mile trips around the West. I've owned 21 of these things over the decades, and you'd think I'd take them for granted by now at some level, but I still go out to the garage to gaze at it and smile, run my hands over the compound curves of its flanks, admire the compact simplicity and goodness of the small-block, the perfection of the cockpit, the ....... well, you get the idea. The act of viewing the road across that inviting hood, set between the perfectly peaked fender tops, while swaddled in the preternaturally satisfying interior, transports you to a state somewhere between sexual satisfaction and pleasant inebriation. Cars will never again be so hard-wired to the pleasure center of the car-guy brain as this one, or be such a joy to behold and enjoy. Anyone used to Scout levels of satisfaction must be careful when taking possession of a Sting Ray, lest his head explode upon cranking it up.

Lou
I’m a little aroused.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
LouieM (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:08 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Glenn! Sting Rays really do it for me :-)
Just for fun I'm finishing up stories from the 200 pages of manuscript that my novelist girlfriend deleted near the end of my memoir, because they "don't move the narrative forward," whatever that means.

For those who came in late, I published a memoir about my adventurous life as a paleontologist in the Arctic; grizzly attacks, wolf attacks, scary aircraft stories, science and beauty. The book is "True North, Hunting Fossils Under the Midnight Sun" by Lou Marincovich and it won a national book award and has become an Amazon #1 best seller. There are lots of great reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.com.

Lou
Lou - I would be interested in getting a copy of those additional stories if/when you make them available! Please do let me know. We probably should take this to PM.
Thanks,
Glenn
Old 02-22-2019, 02:03 PM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

So, some days I think I am the youngest kid on the assembly line here... I have only had my 65 vert for 3 years and have only really been on this Forum for about a year.. Like you Scuba and others, I am fortunate in my ability to enjoy cars, which is something I love way more than golf... Having daily cars that include everything from F350 diesels, E63's and more, and special cars including early and late 911's, A body Mopars, 67 Caddy CDV vert, Ferrari's, Harley's and more in my garage. I try not to count, but I think I have 22 cars today. Unfortunately, I only have a 2 car garage at home and the balance are in my "cave" some 40 minutes from home. While I swap out cars for home, the 65 has been the one constant. I drive it to work, shopping, grocery runs, and about anywhere and do so most days the sun is out. Unlike others, I don't worry too much about the potential door dings (I do park out a bit to try and stay away from other cars) or "life happenings" with owning cool cars... I believe that we don't "own" these cars and we are only custodians of them and part of our responsibility is to share the passion and work hard to convince people to get engaged and be engaged in the automotive life.

This 65 was an addition to my 67 Caddy CDV vert and 67 Newport BB vert, which are great cars and I love them, but the 65, even in its mostly stock suspension/brake/4 speed configuration, is truly a blast. Is it my 458? no, nor is it a 911, classic mini or BB Barracuda... It fits in with a bit of all of them, which is why it is so damn fun. Big Block sidepipe sound right by your ear.... Torque to set you back and know its a classic muscle... it handles really well for its time and stops ok (I've got 4 wheel discs). This car clearly gets more attention than most other cars I have. Because unlike the F-car or 911's which can intimidate, the corvette is inviting. Everyone thumbs up, waves or smiles.... Its a great car and I am both proud to own it and share it. In fact, I like the 65 so much, I bought a second one this fall.. (OK, its an addiction, but the Black car is really modified so I want to see how different they can be)

As such, I let anyone come sit in my cars if they come up. If I have time, I take everyone standing there around the block (especially the kids - future owners of these cars), and let anyone take a picture with them or their kid in it. Have my cars gotten a scratch or something?... yup, but always fixable and worth the time and effort to be the right kind of custodian.

I've owned cars that are so special or well done that one can't risk anyone near them or for some, even driving them.... I've sold them all off because it is about the drive, fun, experience, community and everything that there is about driving and sharing the amazing part of automotive history and our culture.

That said, including some fun ribbing from members I've become friendly with here, I am happy and excited to come check out this forum just about daily to see what others are doing and I can't express my thanks for the advice and encouragement from so many here to spend significant time improving and fixing the Red 65 Vert.

You will not be disappointed in your decision to by a C2 Corvette and enjoy it, although I personally suggest you buy a Vert, especially being you are down south..... Start with a Vert and then buy a coupe next year to satisfy that itch.... and Yes, despite some really cool harley's in the cave... The corvette is even better than that when it comes to open air experience....

Just my .02cn or valueless in America... besides YMWV.

Last edited by 1Cerberus4u; 02-22-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I would drive the scout to look at the 65 and then test drive that vette. All your questions will be answered after some wheel time. Good luck and take someone like Pancho with you if you get serious.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I agree on the convertible part for Southern owners - that is the main reason I miss my '61 at times....
A coupe is a different experience, and without A/C and that back glass making the interior a sauna - it can get pretty miserable in late summer in Florida Not that the OP should pass on a nice coupe - just understand the drawbacks..
Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

I suggest you have the car checked out, and if ok, buy it. If its ok and you waffle too long, it will be gone.
What's the worst that can happen? You dislike it, and sell it. But at least you'll know, and won't be second guessing yourself about what you 'should've done.'
Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

I have both C2 and C3's. There is nothing like driving these cars.

The only thing I would recommend is to get the best car you can and get power steering.

All my cars came with factory a/c, the 71 was up graded to Vintage Air due to the amount of missing parts. The factory A/C in the 72 and 67 work great, the vintage air in the 71 is superior.

Also watch your rear end ratio. The 3:08 and 3:36 are great all-around , the higher ratios ( 3:55 -4:11) are not so nice on the highway.

Get notified of new replies

To '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse

Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Makes me think of something my dear ol' dad use to say...Ya don't want to ever have any regrets...lying in your death bed thinking "I wish, I shoulda, coulda".
Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Lou
Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waynec
Great pic- must be from the way back when machine, what with a 63 Ford coming toward you, and a 64 Chevy in front !

Quick Reply: [C2] '65 pre-purchase phase- avoiding any remorse