C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this flaw considered "factory normal?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

What stands out to me is chunk broken out of the valence with a crack running out of it. That isn't 'factory'....it's called body damage.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Everybody zeroing in on everything that is normal and overlooking the large chunk of fiberglass busted out of the fender. Well, most everybody!

Maybe some people think missing chunks of fiberglass in normal production.

Doug
Old 02-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Maybe some people think missing chunks of fiberglass in normal production.

Doug
My 1978 Z/28 from the Norwood Ohio Plant was delivered to me with gold trimmed decals on the driver side and red trimmed decals on the passenger side...............along with a 6x6 patch of silver overspray on the driver side fender.

Production quality was probably at a low point for all autp manufacturers at this time.

Larry
Old 02-27-2019, 12:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
My 1978 Z/28 from the Norwood Ohio Plant was delivered to me with gold trimmed decals on the driver side and red trimmed decals on the passenger side...............along with a 6x6 patch of silver overspray on the driver side fender.

Production quality was probably at a low point for all autp manufacturers at this time.

Larry
Sounds like they finished building your car in a repair bay.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:23 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

My 67 coupe gap is held together and in place with a few screws that can't be seen. NOW I might have done that as I am a gap guy, they have to be perfect.

Dom
Old 02-27-2019, 12:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The factory did not leave parts stickers on the bumpers like the blue car.

The car has replacement bumpers because................................. .......?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:11 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its not abnormal with the 63 cars possibly being the worst...

That vertical seam at the rear valence transitions from a "butt joint" at the bottom to an overlapping arrangement at the top near the bumper... So things go from a flush appearance at one end to a pronounced exposed edge at the other - it is what it is...

Except for the divot (which should be repaired) that seam looks as good as, or better than, many..
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I focused on the general fit when he said the gap was his concern, of course the ding needs addressed. That rear valence is just a poor arrangement and many restomodders just glass the thing in at each end and call it a day. Here is my 63 gap when I first got it - its been "worked on" since this picture and is much nicer now...
That red car doesn't represent "normal" either. The blue car does except where someone whacked the fender with a hatchet.
That is EXACTLY how my two unmolested (at least on the back end) original valance panels looked on both my 63s. One side fit pretty good, the other side you could throw a cat through. They were making sausage.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:11 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Powershift

Larry
Larry,
I also bought a new 78’ Camaro. I special ordered my car and it was delayed due to a strike that year. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing mine was about or just finished being painted. My car was Black and the paint was so thin you could see the brown primer underneath. The car was re painted under warranty. 😁
Old 02-27-2019, 01:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
That is EXACTLY how my two unmolested (at least on the back end) original valance panels looked on both my 63s. One side fit pretty good, the other side you could throw a cat through. They were making sausage.
Right, so would you call that normal or would you call it something else?

The '63 valance panel attachment was different than '64-'67. I believe the car is question is a '65?

Last edited by MikeM; 02-27-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:39 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Right, so would you call that normal or would you call it something else?

The '63 valance panel attachment was different than '64-'67. I believe the car is question is a '65?
I was responding to Frankie's picture because it looked like he could have taken that picture of my 63, before I fixed it. I believe this was pretty much normal. Every 63 I have looked at has that to one degree or another.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The factory did not leave parts stickers on the bumpers like the blue car.

The car has replacement bumpers because................................. .......?
Not a sticker, its a reflection. Look at the reflection on the car of the OPs legs. There's some paperwork of some sort showing in the reflection as well.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTrim
Larry,
I also bought a new 78’ Camaro. I special ordered my car and it was delayed due to a strike that year. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing mine was about or just finished being painted. My car was Black and the paint was so thin you could see the brown primer underneath. The car was re painted under warranty. 😁
I bought a new 75 Trans Am. Delivered with decals on one side but not the other. Shaker hood had an engine call out on one side and not the other. Body color on driver side rocker (silver car) was non-existent after it started to roll under - just primer. Rattle somewhere in the rear quarter I never could find. Front sway bar was twisted - cut the sway bar link length on the high side to keep it out of a bind in straight ahead stance. Should have taken it back to the dealer for repair of some of these things but I was afraid to put it back in their hands.

Quick Reply: Is this flaw considered "factory normal?"