C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C2] C2 door panel replacement

Old 03-04-2019, 05:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 3,517 Likes on 2,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette View Post
Frankie...

There are also a few tricks to doing this installation (the right hand dash insert tool) that'll go well with doing the installation as well as how to trim the pad prior to install. One issue people make is to trim too much from the passenger side of the pad. The dash insert was designed to crimp the pad when installed. If you over trim the opening you'll make a huge mistake but if you make the puller tool I made years ago it'll pull the dash insert into position without issue. I posted pictures on my tech page from my original 62 dash pad as to the proper way to trim the pad when installing. I also posted pictures on this same page on the grain issue that some are **** about....

Ernie
A bit off topic from C2 door panels but my first C1 dash pad was Romeo Engineering in my 61.....I made that mistake and removed too much foam around the PS aluminum insert and the lower horizontal piece of pad under the dash insert would flop down like your lower lip after Novocaine at the dentist's office...BIG mistake. I had to use contact cement to glue it back up about once a year. Learned my lesson on that score.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-04-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:45 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Recieved 2,505 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Dub,

I'll go with you on all of this but the CA panels are better and fit much better.... While I carry both and sell both, the CA panel was re-tooled so that the upper support and the Z around the vent window was made correctly. I even supplied with NOS upper felts to use to replicate the correct bend. But their panels also have the correct tweak to the upper support. On the 65 complete restoration we did a few years back the customer had already purchased the other set... and the fit was nothing like the CA panels. So I brought one in, installed it and let him decide which panel he wanted. Needless to say he elected to replace the other side.... yes there is that much difference in the two different suppliers and the CA panels fit like a glove.
I will have to give them a try if they have re-tooled them and they fit like you and others have said. My previous comment was going off of what I have experienced in the past.

DUB
Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor

Recieved 1,360 Likes on 1,141 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
A bit off topic from C2 door panels but my first C1 dash pad was Romeo Engineering in my 61.....I made that mistake and removed too much foam around the PS aluminum insert and the lower horizontal piece of pad under the dash insert would flop down like your lower lip after Novocaine at the dentist's office...BIG mistake. I had to use contact cement to glue it back up about once a year. Learned my lesson on that score.
@ Frankie...

Don't worry Frankie, your not alone on this one.. it's a very common mistake. I was lucky enough to have my original pad so that I could see how much material should be removed. Then after fighting a dash insert I put my rocks in motion and years ago I made this goofy tool or what I call the dash insert puller.... it makes installing the dash insert very easy and a one man job... It also crimps down the backside of the pad so it never moves.

@ Dub.

You'll have to try them... they fit like a glove.... We are spoiled now considering what we went through years ago to install interior.

E

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...allation-tool/
Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Mogdog

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way. Who does AK refer to?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM
buns
CF Senior Member

Recieved 371 Likes on 325 Posts

Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member

Recieved 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I just installed a set of AK panels on my 65 coupe. I had to slightly grind the edges of the upper trim to get a good fit. It was overlapping the door surround ( which I just painted ) They fit good now. I probably had them off about 4 times ea.
I had to do the same thing on the set I installed a couple of years ago.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor

Recieved 1,360 Likes on 1,141 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by woodsdesign View Post
I just installed a set of AK panels on my 65 coupe. I had to slightly grind the edges of the upper trim to get a good fit. It was overlapping the door surround ( which I just painted ) They fit good now. I probably had them off about 4 times ea.
I had to do the same thing on the set I installed a couple of years ago.
The CA panels are plug and play with no tweaking required. The just slip in place.

One thing you have to be careful of is that they made the panels just like the GM panels so when you cut out for the vent and window crank, we put lipstick on the ends of the cranks and mark the position and then only remove enough vinyl to allow the crank to pass through, do not rely on the marked "knock out" on the panel they are not centered to the crank (it was the same with the GM panels" and I have plenty of original pictures here to document it. If you cut out the entire area for the window crank handle the spacer will not cover it and you'll screw up a new panel.

Willcox.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 3,517 Likes on 2,778 Posts

The CA panels are plug and play with no tweaking required. The just slip in place.

One thing you have to be careful of is that they made the panels just like the GM panels so when you cut out for the vent and window crank, we put lipstick on the ends of the cranks and mark the position and then only remove enough vinyl to allow the crank to pass through, do not rely on the marked "knock out" on the panel they are not centered to the crank (it was the same with the GM panels" and I have plenty of original pictures here to document it. If you cut out the entire area for the window crank handle the spacer will not cover it and you'll screw up a new panel.

Willcox.
AK panels are the same and this advice includes the holes for the armrest screws on the early (63-64) panels...the marked holes for those screws can misleading.... My armrests just barely (and I mean barely) cover the holes I made for the armrest screws to go through - it was a close thing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] C2 door panel replacement

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: