C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Clock Lens

Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Clock Lens

Man I'm all over the place today.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to replace the lens/glass in my 65 clock. I found an article on Zip but it doesn't seem to match my clock perfectly. In the below picture, what do I need to do to remove the lens?

Old 03-02-2019, 07:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Okay...

This is a simple question... for me that is.

You need to remove the inner bezel from the outer bezel. So... take a tiny screw driver and between those two rivets pry them apart taking your time. If you are lucky you'll only break one rivet per two that hold it down. You want to mark the position of the inner bezel before you separate them too.

Once you separate the two the lens will fall out. Then install the new lens, attach the inner bezel in the same position it was removed from and then re-steak the rivets.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and possibly only break one rivet.... Just steak down what you have. In the old days before they reproduced the outer bezel we'd drill and tap them and insert small screws when the rivets broke... but if your careful you can pull it off.

The reproduction bezels are not that expensive but if you go for it and it fails know that there is a new bezel with new rivets you can install too.

Willcox
Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Those 6 posts need to be ground down enough to free up the housing shell and access the lens.

The fun part comes with figuring out how to reunite the bezel and shell. Some actually drill and tap the post stumps to accept miniature screws.
I drill the holes, but to insert short lengths (1/4") of a finish nail, creating a new "post". With the bezel/lens/housing sandwiched together and clamped, a small dab of JWWeld is applied to each of the 6 posts.

When cured, the epoxy gives the same kind of mechanical attachment as the original swaged posts. Never had one come apart with this method.

Make sure you install the lens concave.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,043 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make sure you paint the inner pc semi flat black before you put it back together. JB weld the best.

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 03-02-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:30 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Okay...

This is a simple question... for me that is.

You need to remove the inner bezel from the outer bezel. So... take a tiny screw driver and between those two rivets pry them apart taking your time. If you are lucky you'll only break one rivet per two that hold it down. You want to mark the position of the inner bezel before you separate them too.

Once you separate the two the lens will fall out. Then install the new lens, attach the inner bezel in the same position it was removed from and then re-steak the rivets.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and possibly only break one rivet.... Just steak down what you have. In the old days before they reproduced the outer bezel we'd drill and tap them and insert small screws when the rivets broke... but if your careful you can pull it off.

The reproduction bezels are not that expensive but if you go for it and it fails know that there is a new bezel with new rivets you can install too.

Willcox
Thank you for that write up. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. If I goof it up, then I'll buy a new one like you said.

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Make sure you paint the inner pc semi flat black before you put it back together. JB weld the best.
Great point!

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Those 6 posts need to be ground down enough to free up the housing shell and access the lens.

The fun part comes with figuring out how to reunite the bezel and shell. Some actually drill and tap the post stumps to accept miniature screws.
I drill the holes, but to insert short lengths (1/4") of a finish nail, creating a new "post". With the bezel/lens/housing sandwiched together and clamped, a small dab of JWWeld is applied to each of the 6 posts.

When cured, the epoxy gives the same kind of mechanical attachment as the original swaged posts. Never had one come apart with this method.

Thanks Mike! I'm trying the putting thing Willcox said to do and either I don't know what I'm doing or I just can't get it. I'll keep trying, but I might have to grind the rivets diem.

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Mike,

Typically you can pry the post through the inner retainer bezel without grinding them and leaving the original rivet in place. You might break one or a few but usually they'll pull through. This is why I stated earlier to mark the bezel's position, because when the pull through they will usually go back through the same hole, then you can just steak them again so it's important to make sure the hole that pulled through lines up with the original hole. Once you have the bezel in place you can use a drift between the two rivets and usually get them to drive back downward... once you have them down on the outer bezel you just steak them over again.... It's kind of hard to explain but it's really not that hard. Maybe next time I do one I'll do a video that'll help others figure this out.

The concave comment.. now that's a funny for me. I did a pre-purchase look through for a customer the other day and all the lenses in the dash and the clock were backwards. The customer asked me how I knew.... In the old days people would put the lenses in backwards on the speedo, tach, small gauges and the clock... .so they could see themselves while driving... In the pictures the customer sent to me, I could see the person taking them as clear as daylight.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-02-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Funny story Ernie! Hey I'll try your process on the next clock I do. 'Cause it's no fun drilling those 6 itty-bitty holes. Probably still put that little dab of JBW though....
The following users liked this post:
Willcox Corvette (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:47 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Funny story Ernie! Hey I'll try your process on the next clock I do. 'Cause it's no fun drilling those 6 itty-bitty holes. Probably still put that little dab of JBW though....
In the old days when the repro bezel were not available... it was drill and screw... Not fun.. We always used a two part epoxy called PC7... This stuff was so solid you could glue water to oil.. lol

And one other note that just banked off the back of my old head... There is a relief in the rear bezel for the clock stem so it's important to make sure you have the hole for the stem in the correct position.... Also.. the old Borge movement is junk... They were junk when they were new...

So while there are aftermarket replacement unit's available you can repair the old unit... it's a complete crap shoot.. Again something I should video the next time... I hate to say it but the quartz conversion is really the way to go unless you are doing a NCRS car.

E
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I reinstalled my clock lens backwards about 10 years ago. Notice it IMMEDIATELY...when I leaned back in the seat after buttoning up the dash.

Choice words were said, but I was in no mood to re-do it. Still backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Clock Lens

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clock Lens