C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Counterfeit Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rsinor

I was the head judge that told him he had a counterfeit car, and when he asked if he could leave since we were not going to judge his car, I also told him he could leave at the end of the day after judging,.........
Wow, talk about being the bearer of bad news.....

If somebody without your credentials said that the owner might have brushed it off but coming from you that must have been devastating.....(UNLESS he already knew of course)...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

I know of a 55 that was created using a valid 55 to create the glass used to recreate the car, the vin tag was good. It has been flight judged with a TF. One could use a 54 to create a 53 or a 55 if you have a good vin tag.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

It can get really expensive just so you can thump your chest and let everyone see how proud of yourself you are.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

News flash - the guy prob cares more about:

a) the fact that he was duped by not exercising due diligence
b) the embarrassment of finding out publicly, and from an indisputable source, and,
c) the heartache of finding out he really doesn't have an original, iconic piece of automotive history

It ain't always about the money..
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

In the end, however, it is always about the money. Bruised ego eventually heal up.....
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
In the end, however, it is always about the money. Bruised ego eventually heal up.....
If hobbies were all about money nobody would own a classic car or a boat of ANY vintage...

I have a $50,000 classic Corvette but:

a) I want to buy the cheapest Walmart oil I can find, I'll strain it through a hanky before I use it to get the big chunks out
b) I don't want to spend $120 for an electronic points conversion, I'd rather cut my fingers to shreds on shielding every so often instead
c) I'm still looking for that $,1500 paint job from "Fisheye Fred"
d) I found radials from the "Run Funny" company for $28 each..
e) I can get C2 rubber windshield molding from Botswana 20% cheaper than Corvette Rubber - I'll just pound on the stainless trim until it lays down flat

I get so tired of it...

[/rant]

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-06-2019 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (03-22-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:35 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I think you have it backwards but thanks anyway!.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

First world problems- oh my!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,519 Likes on 2,783 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I know the story on the White/Blue 67 at the Joplin, MO NCRS meet, I was the head judge that told him he had a counterfeit car, and when he asked if he could leave since we were not going to judge his car, I also told him he could leave at the end of the day after judging, the last thing we need at one of those events is someone driving a car off the floor that is upset when judges are lying partially underneath cars on all four sides of him and at several other cars between him and the door.
I always wondered why it wouldn’t be judged and entered into the official record as counterfeit including everything that is wrong? Might help someone else out in the future.

Wasn’t it Penske who said something to the effect of, “the factory only made six and all twelve of them are here.”?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think you have it backwards but thanks anyway!.

I agree with this 100%. Thank God I only have to impress Mike M. Got a non-matching 10 footer that runs great and money in the bank! Easy Peasy.
The following users liked this post:
Chummy85623 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:43 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I know the story on the White/Blue 67 at the Joplin, MO NCRS meet, I was the head judge that told him he had a counterfeit car, and when he asked if he could leave since we were not going to judge his car, I also told him he could leave at the end of the day after judging, the last thing we need at one of those events is someone driving a car off the floor that is upset when judges are lying partially underneath cars on all four sides of him and at several other cars between him and the door.
I would be curious as to the rationale for making such a car/owner stay until “the end of the day”. Certainly safety should be paramount and the owner should not be allowed to just drive off in a huff endangering others, but it would seem that some arrangement could be made for departure once they are informed that they will not be judged.

Otherwise keeping them until the end of the day just seems like adding injury to insult, so to speak.

What am I missing here?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Factoid
I always wondered why it wouldn’t be judged and entered into the official record as counterfeit including everything that is wrong? Might help someone else out in the future.

Wasn’t it Penske who said something to the effect of, “the factory only made six and all twelve of them are here.”?
the cars info and owner goes back to NCRS. But I don’t think it’s public record unless it happens at a National where results are published.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:48 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I would be curious as to the rationale for making such a car/owner stay until “the end of the day”. Certainly safety should be paramount and the owner should not be allowed to just drive off in a huff endangering others, but it would seem that some arrangement could be made for departure once they are informed that they will not be judged.

Otherwise keeping them until the end of the day just seems like adding injury to insult, so to speak.

What am I missing here?
Actually leaving at the end of the day allows the owner to leave without creating a big scene and a bunch of questions about why did he leave, NCRS does not allow cars to move after the judging starts and if one did it would create quite a conversation, NCRS never broadcast these type of things or tried to make it obvious there was an issue, leaving at the end of the day served two purposes it was safer and it did not draw attention to the owner or the car.
The following 5 users liked this post by rsinor:
2tired (03-06-2019), Frankie the Fink (03-06-2019), mike coletta (03-22-2019), Rich Yanulis (03-06-2019), tuxnharley (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley

What am I missing here?
It's called "public humiliation". Line them up in a public place and let everyone know who is the bad boy. Back in .school, the Principal had what we called the mourners bench sitting in the hall outside his office. Everyone walking by knew why people were sitting there. I am sure some here can vividly recall your own experience with the public seating arrangement.

In the old days, they used to lock you down on the public square in the pillory.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Maybe the NCRS shows should have a pillory or two.....when a discrepancy with a car is found, it's off to the stocks with the owner!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

What public humiliation? As Roy states above, I'm sure the judges didn't put up a neon letter "A" near his car, or go around telling all the owners and such. All the guy had to do was leave the floor, not say anything to anyone, then come back later to get his car, after everyone had left. No one would have noticed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vettrocious:
mike coletta (03-22-2019), rsinor (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
What public humiliation? As Roy states above, I'm sure the judges didn't put up a neon letter "A" near his car, or go around telling all the owners and such. All the guy had to do was leave the floor, not say anything to anyone, then come back later to get his car, after everyone had left. No one would have noticed.
But everyone would notice there was no judging done on it or no blue ribbon stuck on the windshield.

Get notified of new replies

To Counterfeit Cars

Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Everybody gets a blue ribbon? Like in second grade? Everybody is a winner?

Doug
Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Many put a car on the judging field and 80/90% of the physical parts/material content of that car is replacement, fake, or otherwise not original to production and he thinks he has something special?

Last edited by MikeM; 03-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Full disclosure: I am not NCRS and have zero experience with such events.

I am just relating to one of my pet peeves regarding local club shows where they expect you to stay til 5 pm or so I order to attempt to generate more business for the vendors/local merchants etc. Typically that is long after all awards have been passed out etc.

Most folks don’t like being “held hostage” for several hours for no productive use of their time.

So why not just let the entrant declare a family emergency and leave at an appropriate time? It’s not like he is likely to see those folks again anytime soon - at least not with that disqualified car!

OTOH, if that is all spelled out in the entry rules up front then so be it. If you don’t like the rules don’t play the game!

Quick Reply: Counterfeit Cars