C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 body mount kit on 63

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Shift_Happens
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 64 body mount kit on 63

I'm getting close to mounting the body back on the frame as a mock fit to check gaps and alignment of body panels. After this test fit, I will be removing the body to send to paint booth. I was recently told of a local guy who used a 64 body mount on his restored 63 to add more cushioning with the rubber mounts. Anybody ever had any experience or insight on that 'upgrade'?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious about that myself. But if you are going that route, I would think you would want to test fit with the 64 mounts.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Shift_Happens
Racer

I will have both sets there to test fit......just not sure about bumper brackets and things that bolt to chassis but through the body...thats my concern.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I would be careful here, bottom line is the 1964-up frame mounts are welded at a different height than the 1963 frame.

My suggestion is to keep it the way it was designed and built.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...the rubber mounts do take out some of the road/vibration issues ....versus using the solid aluminum body spacers.

Switching to the rubber ones will depend on how thick they are in comparison to the ones that would normally be used. SO...if they are thicker...then it will raise the body that much more....and the only issue I see is the front shims for the radiator support.

Depending on how much thicker the ones at the #1 area ( in front of the firewall) are...may or may not require adding more shims to the welded in stack. Seeing how the #1 mount point and the radiator support mount area are about 5'-6' apart from each other....the high difference in the rubber bushings may not require anything due to the distance being so far away. So if oyu stop and think about it...if the rubber bushing is 1/8" thicker.,..it is doubtful that that slight increase ...when transferred over 5'-6' would cause for any ill effects to the body.

As for any issues with the way the bumpers fit to the body and the brackets that support them. It is questionable if you need to have any concern or not. If you are driving over speed bumps are putting the body in a severe twist when driving it...then it is possible that it may do something...but heck....if you stop and also think about how the frame flexes anyway under certain conditions...the same amount of potential damage could occur IF you put it the correct design body bushings.

DUB
Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Shift_Happens
Racer

Interesting thoughts DUB....thanks
Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

The 1963 car does not use any spacers or cushions at the body mounting locations (except the inner seat belt brackets), it's mounted solid with just shims. If using the 63 frame I believe all the mounts are welded higher so if you use a cushion the body will end up approx 1/2" higher than the design height.

I am not sure how this will effect other things like bumper brackets.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:19 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,047 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You will have to make modifications to the frame to put the 64 to 67 body mount kit in a 63. The reality is all 64 to 67 Corvette are mostly bolted solid to the frame. The two mounts at the firewall are original solid aluminum with no rubber, the radiator support is shims only and bolted solid, and 64 to 67 convertible’s under the door sill is shims and bolted solid to the frame the only rubber are the four rear body mounts. So do you think the car is going to ride much different by putting some rubber in the back is not reality. I don’t think it’s worth the labor to change the mount Heights. And the two rear ones you need to enlarge the hole in the frame or use a 64 to 67 mount bracket.

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 03-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:18 PM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
You will have to make modifications to the frame to put the 64 to 67 body mount kit in a 63. The reality is all 64 to 67 Corvette are mostly bolted solid to the frame. The two mounts at the firewall are original solid aluminum with no rubber, the radiator support is shims only and bolted solid, and 64 to 67 convertible’s under the door sill is shims and bolted solid to the frame the only rubber are the four rear body mounts. So do you think the car is going to ride much different by putting some rubber in the back is not reality. I don’t think it’s worth the labor to change the mount Heights. And the two rear ones you need to enlarge the hole in the frame or use a 64 to 67 mount bracket.
i am always amazed at your level of detailed knowledge. Great information.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Shift_Happens
Racer

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
thanks Don...good info

Get notified of new replies

To 64 body mount kit on 63

Quick Reply: 64 body mount kit on 63