C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Powerglide shift install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:58 PM
54C1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Powerglide shift install

The carpet is installed in my car, with no hole yet cut for the shifter. The shifter has essentially 3 pieces, the shifter, a chrome ring and then the chrome cap. The chrome ring is on the back side, and I can get it off if I remove the zerk fitting, and then replace the zerk fitting once it is through the carpet. Is that what I do? The shifter screws appear wider at the top, so presumably the corresponding holes in the fiberglass line up, so it is oriented correctly. I just want to know how much carpet to cut, and if the shifter is flush against the fiberglass, vs. on top of the carpet. I would have thought the shifter would go flush against the fiberglass, and that you have to hold all this together while you screw it in place. My primary question is how much carpet to cut: a hole, a square (to go around the 4 screws) or a slit up the bottom plus a hole. Or some other way. Any help or photos are appreciated. I don't recall seeing this in any of the 3 books I have bought!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM
54C1
Instructor

I'm bumping my own thread to see if anyone can answer my original question regarding the cut of the carpet. Also, on the back side where the nuts are installed, do I use a flat washer, plus a split washer before the nut?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:24 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,435 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

you will love this one.....
Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,435 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 54C1

The carpet is installed in my car, with no hole yet cut for the shifter.
- Cut the hole for the shifter

The shifter has essentially 3 pieces, the shifter, a chrome ring and then the chrome cap. The chrome ring is on the back side, and I can get it off if I remove the zerk fitting, and then replace the zerk fitting once it is through the carpet. Is that what I do?
- Yes

The shifter screws appear wider at the top, so presumably the corresponding holes in the fiberglass line up, so it is oriented correctly. I just want to know how much carpet to cut, and if the shifter is flush against the fiberglass, vs. on top of the carpet.
- Cut x for the screws to go thru and remove those small pieces
- cut neatly and sharply

I would have thought the shifter would go flush against the fiberglass, and that you have to hold all this together while you screw it in place. My primary question is how much carpet to cut: a hole, a square (to go around the 4 screws) or a slit up the bottom plus a hole. Or some other way. Any help or photos are appreciated. I don't recall seeing this in any of the 3 books I have bought!
you have to hold it all together and try and screw it together ALL at once - you will wish you had four hands.......like a monkey and a football
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
54C1
Instructor

Got it. But a round hole through the carpet to match the hole in the tunnel, or a square hole to account for the bolt pattern, and is there anything on the back side or do I use a flat washer, split and nut?

Get notified of new replies

To Powerglide shift install

Quick Reply: Powerglide shift install