C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Extreme Gas Smell....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 419 Likes on 246 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Extreme Gas Smell....Help!

I know this has been kicked around before, but I can't locate any of the threads. I have a new car (to me) and it wreaks of gas. Off the transport driven and into the garage and it smells like an open bucket of gas for 24 hours and then started to dissipate. Drove it last night for the 1st real drive and filled up the tank (or close), immediately had a strong smell of gas in the cabin that was not there before. Put it in our attached heated garage and the gas smell is so strong we're having to open windows in the garage and it still smells strong if you go out there.

Had a leaking carburetor (everywhere) on my last 62 and after getting it OH'd most of the smell went away, but this leak was obvious because of gasoline residue and puddles on the intake. Fuel pump was also seeping on that car (wet gaskets) and after replacing it all gas smells went away.

This car has no puddles on the intake and the fuel pump is dry, so it seems to be coming with the tank area, especially with the strong immediate smell in the cabin after filling it up.

What should I check? Are there any common locations that cause this problem. I've never played in this area.

Filler cap is not vented, but I think on 62's it's not supposed to be, although I changed to vented cap on the other car.

Car has been a hangar queen for the past 2 years and maybe driven 25-35 miles in that period, so I was expecting some dried gaskets and seals, but this goes way beyond anything I anticipated. Nothing on the floor. I'll put it on the lift tomorrow and see if there is anything wet on the bottom of the tank area.

Any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Butch
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

My guess is that your fuel pump needs to be replaced. I've had the same problem. I've experienced leaking carbs (tri-power 67) and the fuel smell was nothing like the slowly leaking fuel pump.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 AM
treh1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same issue until I replaced the cracked rubber filler hose that connects to the tank. Open up the gas tank cover and inspect this hose. It's a bit of a tug-of-war to replace but it's doable without removing the tank.
The following users liked this post:
rsinor (03-10-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by treh1
I had the same issue until I replaced the cracked rubber filler hose that connects to the tank. Open up the gas tank cover and inspect this hose. It's a bit of a tug-of-war to replace but it's doable without removing the tank.
Since I'm all screwed up with this post..........I'll edit it again as my memory comes back to me???

A filler hose leak is right behind the driver then down to the seat bottom...............I agree....Start there.

You will have to gain access to your fuel tank and then access to your filler hose and clamps....If you have to replace it, loosen the tank side filler hose clamp then remove the hose from the tank. (I had to cut mine, the tank side clamp was unable to be loosened) Push the filler pipe toward the tank. That will expose the filler pipe side clamp for removal. In my case, the grommet came out of position in the process...Remember, after installing the new filler hose, tighten the filler pipe side clamp real well prior to pushing outboard through the filler hole. That was an issue for me when replacing my tank a few months ago........Other's may have a better idea.....if it is the filler hose or the connection....MEMORY is going!!

Last edited by dcamick; 03-08-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Bad Memory!!!
Dreaming60’s (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:47 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Filler hose and the vent/overflow hose...Make sure the filler hose clamps are on straight and go back an hour later and tighten them again before putting the tank cover back on. It a small hand, short screwdriver job. You want a non-vented gas cap, also.

Doug
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDoug:
Dreaming60’s (03-08-2019), rsinor (03-10-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Filler hose and the vent/overflow hose...Make sure the filler hose clamps are on straight and go back an hour later and tighten them again before putting the tank cover back on. It a small hand, short screwdriver job. You want a non-vented gas cap, also.

Doug
Correct answer - those two rubber rubber pieces are generally the problem....also do NOT top off the tank or you can slosh fuel out the vent hose on hard right turns going uphill. Check the seal around the sending unit as well..

Some of the repro metal filler necks in the gas tank filler cavity years ago had problems at the seam...
Wipe around the seam with lacquer thinner around the outside and then go around it with a fingertip full of JB-Weld and let it dry..

Also make sure you're running a NON-vented gas cap.

The gas fill cavity should have a hose draining out of it attached to a bib on the backside - its missing on a lot of cars....feel around up behind the cavity and see if the hose is there. Its meant to drain fuel from overfilling the tank. Make sure that drain is not glassed over (I've seen that too!) or clogged with crud.

Finally - make sure your gas tank cover lid has the sealing putty around its edges - I prefer to use that gray closed cell insulation with one sticky side instead - less mess...

More than you EVER wanted to know about C1 fuel smells:

http://www.socalsacc.com/c1-fuel-tan...chip-werstein/

One caveat to that excellent article - you CAN change the rubber filler neck hose with the tank in the car - its no fun but I've done it..

There are three vent holes through the fiberglass in the gas tank well visible from under the car - make sure some dolt hasn't glassed over those (yes, I've seen it) so you're not driving a bomb around..

If all else fails carry two of these to apply to the driver and passengers nose while driving:

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Dreaming60’s (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Great answers and I thank you all very much. I'm just amazed how loud the smell is. I had the car on a lift during inspection and saw the bottom of the tank (looks shiny and new through at least two large 3-4" holes in the bottom of the bay), so I don't think they were glassed over. Funny thing, never got the smell during the test drive, but there was never more than 5 gallons in it, so maybe it takes more fuel to trigger this event. We actually ran out of gas a few miles from the selling dealer and had to add gas (gauge still showed 3/8th's tank) on the side of the road. So, maybe they new something about filling it up they didn't mention. Sounds pretty straight forward so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Butch
Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Seems like there's always a kink or two to work out when you get a new one! Sounds like you're on the right track to fixing the gas smell!! Good luck.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Review this feature article I wrote on how to get rid of the C1 "Gas Smell" - do as it indicates and you will understand where the leaks start and how to avoid having to deal with them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1GasSmellFix.pdf (2.81 MB, 167 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by JohnZ:
dcamick (03-10-2019), Hermn59 (03-10-2019), jmatthew (10-10-2023), rsinor (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

No one knows more about solving issues with old Corvettes than John Z. Once you've read his article and understand the possible issues present, you might try a simple solution that takes about 10 minutes if you have the materials. On several of my solid axle Corvettes I've solved this issue by doubling the gasket on the inside of the gas cap once you know you have the right cap. I got some gasket material at the parts store and made my own.

It may or may not solve the problem, but it's cheap, easy, and quick. And it's worked every time I tried it.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Finding the right cap and doubling the gasket worked for me, but it still stinks if I fill it to the top (once in awhile I forget) - it goes away after I drive off a gallon (and put my garage fan on with the door open overnight).

Last edited by 64luke; 03-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Interesting note. I was going to pull the tank cover today (doesn't look like its been off since the restoration), but the smell went away yesterday after I took it on its maiden drive. Only 15-20 miles (really strong in the cabin the entire time), but the only smell in the garage last night was very light, more like a minor seeping carburetor. I'm not used to this type of luck with my corvettes, as the last one was possessed and almost made me swear off vettes.

I will read the article and see where it tells me to look.

Butch

Last edited by Dreaming60’s; 03-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Interesting note. I was going to pull the tank cover today (doesn't look like its been off since the restoration), but the smell went away yesterday after I took it on its maiden drive.
Butch
You drove far enough to drop the tank level so the gas wasn't leaking out. Some hard cornering will bring it back until the tank level drop even further.
Doug
Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

What a great article from John. It seems like it may be prudent to cross check all parts of the fuel system using John’s article as a guide. To assume may not be the best route to take when dealing with gasoline.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Review this feature article I wrote on how to get rid of the C1 "Gas Smell" - do as it indicates and you will understand where the leaks start and how to avoid having to deal with them.
Thanks John, that is the most concise article on fuel smell I could ever imagine. Very well written and points out all the areas to check.

Butch
Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Thanks! Another addition to th iBooks library.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:05 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Extreme Gas Smell....Help! I usually have that same problem when my girl friend rides with me in the passenger's seat. I than have to crank the window down on my side of the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme Gas Smell....Help!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Any reason for NOT replacing the paper gasket in my "FE" cap with a rubber gasket....seems to me that would really seal the tank at the filler.

BH
Old 03-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

I suppose that could work as long as the rubber doesn’t degrade from gasoline or ethanol, and if it can handle all of the on and off. I like the paper ones, they don’t seem to have any problem staying in great shape.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer
Any reason for NOT replacing the paper gasket in my "FE" cap with a rubber gasket....seems to me that would really seal the tank at the filler.

BH
I did exactly that on an FE cap and it works perfectly.
Dreaming60’s (03-12-2019)

Quick Reply: [C1] Extreme Gas Smell....Help!