C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Dot 5 brake fluid

Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 PM
benrep
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 51 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Dot 5 brake fluid

I can't find it on here but I remember reading of problems lately with dot 5 silicone brake fluid. I have used it in many old vehicles over the years with great results. Has it changed? I am finishing up a 1954 GMC truck brake overhaul; new steel lines, hoses, master, wheel cylinders, and would love to ship it with dot 5. I also want to convert my 1960 C1 to silicone when I do all the brakes on it. So if it isn't working any more I need to know. Nothing bad shows up when googled, pretty sure I heard it here. Let me know if you have facts on this issue, thanks.

Scott

Last edited by benrep; 03-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Popular Reply

04-22-2022, 08:05 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,996 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Jim, DOT 5 is susceptible to aeration and becomes highly compressible when this occurs. It's a nightmare trying to bleed it when it has the microscopic bubbles in it. That is why it's not used in antilock applications. When I was at HDMC, we had to switch back from DOT 5 to DOT4 when antilock launched.

Because DOT 5 is not hygroscopic I suspect you will find the reason it's not recommended in racing is the extreme brake temperatures and concern of the non-absorbed water boiling off sooner than you would see a failure with DOT3/4 as that water is absorbed by the fluid.
I'm intimately familiar with the properties of DOT5, having converted all of my old cars to it, and having used it in two track cars. I understand why it can not be used in ABS systems.

As far as racing applications, like mine, I've never seen a research-based recommendation to not use DOT5. Instead, the reluctance to use it seems to be no more scientific than, "Well, we've never done it that way...."

This alleged issue with water getting into a DOT5 system and causing problems makes no sense. Do people leave their cars out in the rain with the caps off the master cylinders??

The extreme temperatures in racing are the exact reason DOT5 should be the brake fluid of choice since both its wet and dry boiling points are the highest of any of the available choices.

And to that point, the brake system in my vintage racer is filled with DOT5 and has never, ever, not once experienced any kind of issue, no matter how hard or how frequently I stand on the brakes. I'm not the only vintage racer who uses DOT5, but I probably am the most vocal. I don't mind speaking up whenever I detect hearsay-based reasons to avoid DOT5.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Rdelvalle
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 106 Posts

My 1959 Vette has DOT 5 Dow Corning Silicone brake fluid, The person I bought the car from had all the brake system restored including pads. pistons everything. He fill the system with the Dow Corning Dot 5 brake fluid. According to him and my Google searches this fluid has an infinite life because it does not absorb moisture (is not hygroscopic).

I can not comment on how good or bad is it because I have driven the car very few miles. We have been doing a full frame on restoration for over a year. The previous owner had the car for 40 years but did not drive it much and I do not know when he did the brakes. Good or bad I am stuck with the DOT 5 for now.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I've had it in my GTO for 6 years and I'm extremely glad it is. I cut a front brake line do to a bad mechanic, me. The fluid went everywhere slinging off of the wheel. If not for dot5 there could have been a lot of costly ruined paint.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I put dot 5 in my 60 Vette about 15 years and several thousand miles ago, have trued the the drums and arc ground new shoes since then but no problems with the hydraulics, I have dot 5 in all my cars that don't have abs, no problems with any of them.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (12-31-2022)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,505 Likes on 2,778 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

There is a a lot of negative urban legend out there around DOT 5 ( silicone based) brake fluid. Little is true. I believe some of it comes from the general lack of approval for racing and other “official” opinions. One that is true is that while it doesn’t absorb water, it does absorb air and can sometimes present challenges in bleeding your brakes. However, for this very reason it is superior for classic cars that are not driven as often or see extended periods of storage. It is also true that it cannot be mixed with mineral based traditional (DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 fluid). Simply draining your system is insufficient, it must be flushed. Therefore often the decision to go with silicone fluid is made when a completely new braking system is installed.

Bottom line, make the choice that works best for you and be happy with that choice. Either will work.
marshal135 (12-31-2022)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:49 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Factoid
There is a a lot of negative urban legend out there around DOT 5 ( silicone based) brake fluid. Little is true. I believe some of it comes from the general lack of approval for racing and other “official” opinions.
Can you explain this a little more?
Old 03-10-2019, 02:05 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 246 Likes on 124 Posts

I live in the mountains and have heard of issues when going from 4000 or 5000 foot elevation to 8000 plus. Air bubbles form in the system at the lower atmospheric pressure and cause mushy brake pedal.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Some people claim that repeated full-on braking results in a soft pedal with silicone, but I'm skeptical about that. I think its more likely due to air in the system.

There is a lot of discussion, both pro and con, over on the NCRS Technical Board. Personally, silicone has been great for me. I had it in my 72 for years, and my 57 is now over 20 years with silicone. It doesn't get a lot of miles, but I haven't had to touch a thing.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

I think performance wise it holds up as well as the others. I just had a problem with leaks at the brake line fittings. I have the correct open end wrenches for flare tubing so I'm getting good torque, but some would leak. Now it could be the stainless steel brake lines that the restorer installed. If I was doing it, I would of used steel lines which for me seals better.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry gollnick
I live in the mountains and have heard of issues when going from 4000 or 5000 foot elevation to 8000 plus. Air bubbles form in the system at the lower atmospheric pressure and cause mushy brake pedal.
It would seem to me that if air bubbles form in the system at lower altitudes, it would be a reflection of a fault in the brake system. Not the fluid. I don't drive at 5000 feet, let alone 8000 so that doesn't affect me anyway.

Man up suppliers. What's the real problem?

But, I have Dot 5 in 4 different old cars and one motorcycle. Been in there for years. I never had problems with getting air in the system. Either driving , pouring it out of the can or bleeding. No service require on any of it in years.

The lasted Dot 5 bashing has come from the suppliers of brake calipers, warning that warranty is void if Dot 5 is used. That's fine but I've yet to see ANY of these dooms dayers step forward and tell the peanut gallery specifically why the warranty needed to be voided. Have you?

Last edited by MikeM; 03-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:32 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It would seem to me that if air bubbles form in the system at lower altitudes, it would be a reflection of a fault in the brake system. Not the fluid. I don't drive at 5000 feet, let alone 8000 so that doesn't affect me anyway.

Man up suppliers. What's the real problem?

But, I have Dot 5 in 4 different old cars and one motorcycle. Been in there for years. I never had problems with getting air in the system. Either driving , pouring it out of the can or bleeding. No service require on any of it in years.

The lasted Dot 5 bashing has come from the suppliers of brake calipers, warning that warranty is void if Dot 5 is used. That's fine but I've yet to see ANY of these dooms dayers step forward and tell the peanut gallery specifically why the warranty needed to be voided. Have you?
I was told dot 5 causes the rubber cups to become soft and leak. Who knows, maybe they have stock in dot 3 and 4.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I've had Dot 5 in my'66 for 40 years! . . . no issues at all!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:06 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

The caliper suppliers and rebuilders claim problems result from the newer Dot 5 which supposedly is different. I haven't seen anything that substantiates that, but my fluid and components are definitely not 'newer'.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Federal FMVSS standards have been in place for years, requiring extensive testing to circumvent any incompatibility between fluid and rubber components.

All brake fluids sold OTC today casue the seals to swell a slight amount. On purpose.

So, are the rebuilders/supplier using component parts that are cheap Chinese KO's that don't have to follow the rules or why is it that their rubber parts are no longer compatible with Dot after being accepted for years and being used by government military forces all over the world?
marshal135 (04-22-2022)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:38 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.T.
Some people claim that repeated full-on braking results in a soft pedal with silicone, but I'm skeptical about that.
Toro poo.

See my vintage racer in my avatar? Thousands of road racing miles with "full on braking" several times per lap and never, ever a problem with the DOT5 fluid.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Debate the merits of silicone v every other kind of brake fluid all ya want. Silicone brake fluid is harmless to paint. Spill a little of the other stuff on your freshly restored suspension parts or a nice shiny fender and then call me back.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

rebuilt master and replaced front and rear calipers many years ago on my "66" No problems with silicone dot 5

Get notified of new replies

To Dot 5 brake fluid

Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,505 Likes on 2,778 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Can you explain this a little more?
Jim, I cannot explain why they say DOT 5 is not recommended for racing or performance driving, but I know that is exactly what Wilwood and other aftermarket brake suppliers put in their instructions. Perhaps the lawyers told them it would limit liability in event of a brake system failure? What I do know is that I used it in the brand new brake system in my ‘41 *****’s with no issue at all, it doesn’t eat paint like glycol based fluid does, and I’ve never had a bad experience or had friends with bad experiences, yet the rumors persist.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:37 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Factoid
Jim, I cannot explain why they say DOT 5 is not recommended for racing or performance driving, but I know that is exactly what Wilwood and other aftermarket brake suppliers put in their instructions. Perhaps the lawyers told them it would limit liability in event of a brake system failure? What I do know is that I used it in the brand new brake system in my ‘41 *****’s with no issue at all, it doesn’t eat paint like glycol based fluid does, and I’ve never had a bad experience or had friends with bad experiences, yet the rumors persist.
Rumors. I think you nailed it.

We've run DOT5 in both my vintage racer (see avatar) and my bride's track car (also a Grand Sport reproduction). Neither vehicle has ever had a brake issue of any kind. In fact, the brakes on my vintage racer are so good that I count on them to let me make passes under braking.

Too, being basically a lazy individual, having DOT5 in the brake lines has meant I haven't had to bleed the brakes before every track event. I hate bleeding brakes.

Jim
Old 03-10-2019, 09:37 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I too have been using Dot-5, Silicone brake fluid for decades with excellent success, in a wide variety of vehicles. I will very likely continue using it as I have in the past, until I personally experience a problem I believe is related to the use of Dot-5 brake fluid. And of course with due regard to any component warranty impacted by its' use.

In the mid 80's I discovered the we were converting all of our rolling stock (with hydraulic brake systems) in the Marine Corps (as was the U.S. Army), to silicone (Dot-5) brake fluid. We were purchasing it in 55 gallon drums by the pallet from Dow-Corning. At the time the stated purpose was to reduce maintenance costs. Much of our rolling stock sits for extended periods of time. Particularly equipment intended for use in an expeditionary environment (re: time of War). Very often when a piece of equipment was needed for use or training purposes, it would be sidelined for maintenance to repair the brakes. It was a never ending battle to keep the equipment in a state of readiness. By switching the brake systems to Silicone brake fluid our maintenance time and costs were reduced significantly. If it was good enough to go to War, it was good enough for me to use.

Here is some excellent technical information related to the use of Dot 5, Silicone Brake Fluid, I found at the Type34 Registry, Technical Library. While I can not verify the veracity of all of the information, I can say it is consistent with what I have learned and personally experienced regarding Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid over the past 35+ years.

Good luck... GUSTO
65air_coupe (04-29-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Dot 5 brake fluid