C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carson City to San Francisco, 50, 88 or ?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ricks327
When you Calif guys say "Highway 80", do you mean Interstate 80 (I-80)?
Yes, though I just call it 80...
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by ganshert
Yes, doing PCH down to San Diego. I lived out there for awhile, just wasn't familiar with the pros and cons of 50 vs 88 up North.

thanks
If you havent visited the CAL coastal region in years, better plan for a rude awakening in your drive from Monterey to San Diego via PCH. There is a reason I 5 is a crowded mess.
Because PCH is worse. It will add several days to your trip if you try to drive from No CAL to the Mexico border on the coast route.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65hihp
If you havent visited the CAL coastal region in years, better plan for a rude awakening in your drive from Monterey to San Diego via PCH. There is a reason I 5 is a crowded mess.
Because PCH is worse. It will add several days to your trip if you try to drive from No CAL to the Mexico border on the coast route.
Say what??? I-5 is only a mess in certain areas around cities. A vast part of it is somewhat open. Now, I-95 that's a mess. PCH is a more of leisure drive and not really made for anything else its ocean view. Lots of stops to check out the ocean.

But thats what waze is for...
Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

So...... going across lonely Nevada, are you planning to introduce your daughter to the highlights of a C2 at full tilt with the speedo exceeding 100 MPH?
Nevada towns watch the speed limits very close and use them for budget enhancement. Go the speed limits when you are within 8 miles of any town in Nevada and if you pull off and the speed sign says 25 mph you better not exceed that speed.
My buddy got one for 28 in a 25 in Elko when he got off to get gas. Outside the towns 85+ is the norm.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Since you are venturing further south....Hearst Castle for a tour....

http://hearstcastle.org/tour-hearst-castle/daily-tours/

...and ... The Getty Center and Getty Villa.....

http://www.getty.edu/visit/center/

http://www.getty.edu/visit/villa/

......Mark
Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Detour East from Monterey/Carmel and visit Yosemete, a true wonder to see in person. Maybe 4.5 hours ease of Carmel or 3 hours out of Lake Tahoe and 3 hours back to Sacramento.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

You’re not raining on anything

I’ve been to and driven in SF several times. I like it there or I wouldn’t be going back.
I drive to San Francisco every day. Beautiful, wonderful city. It can be a challenge to navigate around town at times... but no tougher than any urban city.... New York... L.A. Enjoy you stay. And... don't believe the negative hype. More than 25-million tourists visit the city by the bay every year. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the World. Enjoy the great people.... the great food... and the great location.
The following users liked this post:
ganshert (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If your going to stay in Monterey, I like staying at the Cannery Row Inn. You can walk to everything and has secure underground parking. Not cheap but reasonable for the area. Also, I live just off HWY 88 and though a beautiful Drive, it would be a challenge this year....
Chris

Last edited by MrTrim; 03-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.
ganshert (03-13-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
Hate to rain on your parade...that being said as a Native (born mid 1950s) of the San Francisco Bay area...a Corvette convertible with a manual transmission navigating INSANE Traffic in HILLY with Extremely Difficult to find & Expensive street parking San Francisco is NOT "My" idea of a "fun" ..."relaxing" vacation!!!

Parking meters are either 15 or 30 minutes...You are set -up for a $$$$$$ parking ticket!!!....

https://www.spotangels.com/blog/know...arking-meters/

For those that think that San Francisco is a "World Class City"....can you name any other Self - Proclaimed ..."World Class City"....that has a "POOP MAP???!!!"

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...e-13278828.php

I personally would spend time cruising the coast highway ( Highway 1)... Stop for a moment and take a walk on Pacifica Pier....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacifica-pier-pacifica

Stop at Pillar Point Harbor....Check out World Famous "Mavericks"....and if you Enjoy Truly..Fresh Caught Seafood !!!....MANY Great Restaurants in Pillar Point Harbor area...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html

https://www.hmbbrewingco.com/blog/ma...window-is-open

Continuing south along Highway 1 is Santa Cruz...

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/

Continuing south along Highway 1 is "World Renowned"....Monterey...

https://www.seemonterey.com/

....I Personally Boycott San Francisco.... My recommendations are 100% Guaranteed ....Mark
I have sat for hours a couple of trips at the Brown Pelican, Santa Barbara..... on a trip from LA to Northern CA. (Laguna Seca) Monterey County.............Quite a trip! Sorry off topic!!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:31 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I assume you know how to navigate your C2 through black ice and other winter related conditions. Be safe.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
I drive to San Francisco every day. Beautiful, wonderful city. It can be a challenge to navigate around town at times... but no tougher than any urban city.... New York... L.A. Enjoy you stay. And... don't believe the negative hype. More than 25-million tourists visit the city by the bay every year. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the World. Enjoy the great people.... the great food... and the great location.
Well, Yeah - but do you do so by driving your C2 there on your daily commute? I visit SF frequently - every month or two - but would NEVER consider taking my 67 there! Hills, clutch, crazy drivers, and the fact that SF has so many auto break ins that the Police will not even respond. The just tell you to contact your insurance.
sidepipe seeker (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Great advice. This time of year, over the Sierras, 50 or 80 are your only sane choices. 88 is gorgeous, but not this time of year. 120/108, same thing. Nice and scenic, but CLOSED. We have a TON of snow this year.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Great advice. This time of year, over the Sierras, 50 or 80 are your only sane choices. 88 is gorgeous, but not this time of year. 120/108, same thing. Nice and scenic, but CLOSED. We have a TON of snow this year.
exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you!

Based on the advice here I’ll be doing 50 all the way across NV to Sacramento then 80, 37, 101 and into town over the GG bridge. We leave tomorrow AM and will stop when we get tired, probably somewhere in NV.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and for those of you that have reasons why you won’t drive your Corvette somewhere I respect your opinion but don’t understand your logic. I would take this car anywhere I would take another car. I absolutely love driving it, especially with my daughter, and will take it anywhere she’ll go with me. Next year we’re looking at Key West.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

80 is a much better drive across Nevada than 50. I have done both. 50 is more 2 lane out in the middle of nowhere. 80 is 4 lane all the way. 50 has several passes well above 6,000 feet, 80 has some also but not so many.
50 is open range so you need to watch out for cattle. From Denver you can catch HWY 80 without too much trouble.
Once you get to Reno you can take HWY 80 to North Shore Lake Tahoe and drive around the lake, very pretty drive or go south from Reno to Carson City and go over into South Shore Lake Tahoe where you can catch HWY 50.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 PM
ganshert
Racer

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
80 is a much better drive across Nevada than 50. I have done both. 50 is more 2 lane out in the middle of nowhere. 80 is 4 lane all the way. 50 has several passes well above 6,000 feet, 80 has some also but not so many.
50 is open range so you need to watch out for cattle. From Denver you can catch HWY 80 without too much trouble.
Once you get to Reno you can take HWY 80 to North Shore Lake Tahoe and drive around the lake, very pretty drive or go south from Reno to Carson City and go over into South Shore Lake Tahoe where you can catch HWY 50.
I had to read your post twice, literally everything you said to talk me out of 50 is why I’m taking 50.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Buttersvette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Unless you and your daughter have visited Lake Tahoe I would make sure and drive around it. It will be the most beautiful thing you will see the whole trip, unless it is snowing, of course.

Last edited by Buttersvette; 03-15-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:36 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I had to read your post twice, literally everything you said to talk me out of 50 is why I’m taking 50.
I agree with you. I've taken 50 and 80 many times. 50 is hands-down waaaaaay more interesting and scenic. Not even close. I like your route: it's exactly the same one I'd take, and I'm a native Californian. Drive safe and enjoy the journey. 80? Are you KIDDING me???

Get notified of new replies

To Carson City to San Francisco, 50, 88 or ?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,998 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I agree with you. I've taken 50 and 80 many times. 50 is hands-down waaaaaay more interesting and scenic. Not even close. I like your route: it's exactly the same one I'd take, and I'm a native Californian. Drive safe and enjoy the journey. 80? Are you KIDDING me???
I agree completely but I don't care for 50 at all.

It's a two lane road with a few passing lanes here and there. There is always one driver who isn't comfortable on mountain roads and drives slowly. Traffic backs up. Then at the passing lane impatient drivers do really stoooopid stuff to get by not only the slow driver but also fast drivers, usually (but not always) before the passing lane ends.. Accidents are common.

There is a third route which is waaay more scenic than 50, wide, smooth, and nearly deserted. That's the route I take. Unfortunately, it's not plowed in winter. (And with the snow we've had, it likely won't be plowed before July 4.)

But, if your choice is 50 or 80, 50 wins for scenery.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 PM
ganshert
Racer

It’s all a moot point now, we lost the transmission in Holden UT. Waiting on the AAA flatbed now for a ride to Salt Lake City. Hoping to find a transmission there and get back on the road. If not we’ll fly out of Salt Lake to finish our vacation and have the car shipped home.

Last edited by ganshert; 03-16-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree 50 is way better in California for scenery and a fun drive. I did Lake Tahoe to Sacramento twice today on HWY 50. I do it nearly every week in the Winter. Today was sunny and a blue bird day, hard to beat.
I was talking about HWY 50 in Nevada. Carson City to Ely, NV 330 miles of 2 lane desert without many stops, unless you count Salt Wells. It sounded to me like they were planning to cross Nevada on Hwy 50 and that would not be my choice and I have driven both 50 and 80 through Nevada. 80 is pretty remote in Nevada but there are some services along the road with many long gaps between but it is a better drive than 50 in Nevada. Yes, I am not Kidding You.
I came over a hill on 50 in Nevada at 85 MPH to find a dead Cow, upside down with all 4 legs pointing up in the middle of the road. Dang near hit it, could have been bad. When they say open range they mean it.
50 from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, Absolutely! I tried to say this the first time in the previous post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carson City to San Francisco, 50, 88 or ?