C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carson City to San Francisco, 50, 88 or ?

 
Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 PM
  #1  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default Carson City to San Francisco, 50, 88 or ?

My daughter and I are heading out Friday morning for a week long drive in my 65 convertible. Colorado, San Francisco, San Diego, Death Valley and back to Colorado. Iíve got most of the trip figured out but have lots of options between Carson City and San Francisco so Iím looking for advice. Iíll be trying to make good time on a Saturday afternoon so wonít have time to stop a lot for attractions. Iím more looking for a fun scenic road without a bunch of urban sprawl. Is that possible there or am I dreaming? thanks!
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:31 AM
  #2  
KENS78SILVERANNIV
CF Senior Member
 
KENS78SILVERANNIV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Danville CA
Posts: 5,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Default

88 will probably be closed due to 30 feet of snow. Interstate 80 is a fairly boring multi lane freeway. I would take Hwy. 50 over Echo Summit. Gorgeous drive over the Sierra. It will put you right into Sacramento... then S.F. 90 minutes later.

Last edited by KENS78SILVERANNIV; 03-13-2019 at 12:32 AM.
KENS78SILVERANNIV is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KENS78SILVERANNIV For This Useful Post:
ganshert (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 AM
  #3  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,370
Thanked 484 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Definitely Hwy. 50!

You will go along the southern side shoreline of South Lake Tahoe. Then up and over Echo Summit. Truly is a nice drive.

If you're coming over on Saturday afternoon, be sure to stop at Highway 50 Brewery. Great place for a stop. It's located right in Camino (Apple Hill), which is about an hour east of Sacramento just prior to Placerville when you're heading west. From this point, you would be about 2-2.5 hours from San Francisco.

Sure hope you have a safe place for that car while staying in San Francisco. Depending upon where you're staying, it will cost you crazy money for parking overnight.

If you don't quite make it that far, I know where there's a safe garage to park it in near Placerville, and it's free!

Pat
ptjsk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ptjsk For This Useful Post:
ganshert (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:02 AM
  #4  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

that’s an awesome offer but I’ve made arrangements at our hotel and yes it isn’t cheap
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 AM
  #5  
Buttersvette
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: chico ca
Posts: 58
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Another couple of options depending on time. Carson to Reno go up to Tahoe on Hwy 80. I would then go completely around lake to Hwy 50. I think weather should be pretty good (you are lucky!! Its been a wet winter) To drive around the lake will be amazing, and Hwy 50 is a much better drive than 80. You can look on map and see there is a couple of ways around lake. Kings beach way and Tahoe City if you want a little longer journey. You could also come into south shore, as post have indicated above, and drive around lake and take Hwy 80. Hwy 80, Donner Summit and being next to the river is pretty amazing. You can even take the old hwy for a few miles (literally fallows 80) through some little towns and next to the river. That would be a beautiful drive. If you have seen Lake Tahoe, and just want the shortest way I would go Hwy 50 as stated above. Hope this help, and the weather stays Sunny!! Good Luck
Buttersvette is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Buttersvette For This Useful Post:
ganshert (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:28 AM
  #6  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,370
Thanked 484 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
thatís an awesome offer but Iíve made arrangements at our hotel and yes it isnít cheap
Whatever you do, be sure to secure that car!

As has already been documented on this site, our '62 was stolen from an extremely nice B&B just to the south of San Francisco.

I now have several obstacles one must overcome (should they choose to attempt another theft), plus a very visible 1/2" cable that goes through two wheels while capturing part of the suspension as well.

Literally sucks to have to take these measures, but this is what society has forced me to do.

On the bright side of things, if you actually drive in San Francisco, you will not believe how many individuals will attempt to stop you to take a picture of the car. Really kind of cool for people who really don't see the old Corvette's much.

Pat
ptjsk is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 AM
  #7  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptjsk View Post
Whatever you do, be sure to secure that car!

As has already been documented on this site, our '62 was stolen from an extremely nice B&B just to the south of San Francisco.

I now have several obstacles one must overcome (should they choose to attempt another theft), plus a very visible 1/2" cable that goes through two wheels while capturing part of the suspension as well.

Literally sucks to have to take these measures, but this is what society has forced me to do.

On the bright side of things, if you actually drive in San Francisco, you will not believe how many individuals will attempt to stop you to take a picture of the car. Really kind of cool for people who really don't see the old Corvette's much.

Pat
weíll be doing a lot of driving in SF, my daughter is 17 and it will be her first time there. Iím looking forward to showing her around.
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 AM
  #8  
Buttersvette
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: chico ca
Posts: 58
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Drive

Oh one other thing. There is nothing worse than driving on 80 over the bay bridge. Horrible when you pass suisun city area. If I wanted a scenic drive I would go over hwy 37 to south 101 and enter city over Golden Gate Bridge. Hwy 80 by past Vallejo is just an absolute nightmare 90% of the time!!
Buttersvette is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 AM
  #9  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Buttersvette View Post
Oh one other thing. There is nothing worse than driving on 80 over the bay bridge. Horrible when you pass suisun city area. If I wanted a scenic drive I would go over hwy 37 to south 101 and enter city over Golden Gate Bridge. Hwy 80 by past Vallejo is just an absolute nightmare 90% of the time!!
thatís a fantastic idea! thanks
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 AM
  #10  
Westlotorn
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Westlotorn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 3,522
Thanked 218 Times in 200 Posts
Default

You will need to manage your trip. Sacramento to San Francisco, ( never say Frisco or the locals will fry you) the drive is only about 90 miles but can be 1.5 hours or 4 hours if you travel at the wrong time.
In the day you would want to leave Sacramento about 9AM - 12:30 and you will be in SF in 2 hours. Or wait till 7 PM and leave Sacramento and you will be in SF in 2.5 Hours. AVOID any rush hour traffic.
I left SF a couple weeks ago at 4 PM, got to Berkeley about 15 miles away at 5:30, stopped for dinner for an hour and got back on the Hwy to Sacramento and got there about 8:30 PM.
Right now the weather looks pretty clear for the next 7 days but that can change.
I drove from Denver to Sacramento in a Suburban a few years ago, Left outside Denver at 4:30 AM and drove really hard all day, 80-85 MPH whenever I could and got to Sacramento at 6:30 PM, I gained an hour due to time change.
It is a very long drive.
The snow is 20 feet deep at the Summit on Hwy 50 and Hwy 80. They SALT the heck out of the roads near the 7,000 foot summit on each road, so be warned it may be hard on your car. Don't follow any car close as the sand and salt used for safe roads also leaves nice rock chips in your paint.

It is a beautiful Drive for sure on either 50 or 80. 50 is a nice 2 lane road. On HWY 50 near the Summit is the Old Strawberry Lodge, nice old rustic place to spend the night or have a drink at the bar with the old huge fireplace to keep warm.
The Ski Resorts are in full swing and they all close around 4 or 4:30 dumping lots of ski traffic on the roads. On a Saturday if I head from Lake Tahoe back to Sacramento after a ski day it may take 3 hours or more if I travel in the peak times and it is a 72 mile drive for me. Avoid the hours of 4 PM to 6 PM at the summit and you should be fine.
See if you can go on line and reserve tickets to go on the Alcatraz tour, it is not expensive and includes a boat ride out to Alcatraz and the tour of the island. It is really cool to see. Rent the earphones they offer and it will give you a talking tour with lots of fun details.
Dinner at Pier 39 at Scoma's will set you back about $150 for 2 but is a great dinner at an old San Francisco favorite on the water. Prices are the same all over that part of San Francisco but Scoma's has the history and view.
Have a great trip.
Mark

Last edited by Westlotorn; 03-13-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Westlotorn is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 AM
  #11  
sidepipe seeker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area Ca
Posts: 512
Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Hate to rain on your parade...that being said as a Native (born mid 1950s) of the San Francisco Bay area...a Corvette convertible with a manual transmission navigating INSANE Traffic in HILLY with Extremely Difficult to find & Expensive street parking San Francisco is NOT "My" idea of a "fun" ..."relaxing" vacation!!!

Parking meters are either 15 or 30 minutes...You are set -up for a $$$$$$ parking ticket!!!....

https://www.spotangels.com/blog/know...arking-meters/

For those that think that San Francisco is a "World Class City"....can you name any other Self - Proclaimed ..."World Class City"....that has a "POOP MAP???!!!"

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...e-13278828.php

I personally would spend time cruising the coast highway ( Highway 1)... Stop for a moment and take a walk on Pacifica Pier....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacifica-pier-pacifica

Stop at Pillar Point Harbor....Check out World Famous "Mavericks"....and if you Enjoy Truly..Fresh Caught Seafood !!!....MANY Great Restaurants in Pillar Point Harbor area...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html

https://www.hmbbrewingco.com/blog/ma...window-is-open

Continuing south along Highway 1 is Santa Cruz...

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/

Continuing south along Highway 1 is "World Renowned"....Monterey...

https://www.seemonterey.com/

....I Personally Boycott San Francisco.... My recommendations are 100% Guaranteed ....Mark

Last edited by sidepipe seeker; 03-13-2019 at 06:41 AM.
sidepipe seeker is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidepipe seeker For This Useful Post:
dcamick (03-14-2019), markdonc (03-13-2019), silver837 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 AM
  #12  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post
You will need to manage your trip.
Iíll be there Sat afternoon / early evening. thanks for the tips
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 AM
  #13  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker View Post
Hate to rain on your parade...
Youíre not raining on anything

Iíve been to and driven in SF several times. I like it there or I wouldnít be going back.
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM
  #14  
Buttersvette
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: chico ca
Posts: 58
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Trip

Sidepiper brought up some good points. Traffic around Bay Area, parking etc can be a pain but there are some good things about SF. You say your going to San Diego after. That would be a great time to drive to Monterey, and Carmel and continue south towards San Diego. A longer drive for sure, but weíll worth it. Hwy 5 is horrible!! I would stay away from 5. On the coast you can stop at Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbra, and San Luis Obispo. All great cityís. The drive should be all green and beautiful as a large Hwy can be.
Buttersvette is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 AM
  #15  
SWCDuke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2000
Posts: 10,081
Thanked 493 Times in 344 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
My daughter and I are heading out Friday morning for a week long drive in my 65 convertible. Colorado, San Francisco, San Diego, Death Valley and back to Colorado. Iíve got most of the trip figured out but have lots of options between Carson City and San Francisco so Iím looking for advice. Iíll be trying to make good time on a Saturday afternoon so wonít have time to stop a lot for attractions. Iím more looking for a fun scenic road without a bunch of urban sprawl. Is that possible there or am I dreaming? thanks!
US 50 through Utah and Nevada is known as the "loneliest road in the world", which would be perfect for your trip, but you need to plan it out carefully as some sections may be up to 100 miles between available fuel stops.

I had that trip planned out back in the early nineties... had a business conference at Breckinridge in the summer and was going to drive up from LA, fly my then current GF who lived in the east SF Bay area to Denver and pick her up, then drive back on US 50 after the conference, but she dumped me a week before the trip, so I flew.

At least I managed to drive the rented, wheezing Crown Vic up to the top of old US 50 Loveland Pass... over 12,000 feet. The view was great!

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 03-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.
SWCDuke is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 AM
  #16  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Buttersvette View Post
Sidepiper brought up some good points. Traffic around Bay Area, parking etc can be a pain but there are some good things about SF. You say your going to San Diego after. That would be a great time to drive to Monterey, and Carmel and continue south towards San Diego. A longer drive for sure, but weíll worth it. Hwy 5 is horrible!! I would stay away from 5. On the coast you can stop at Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbra, and San Luis Obispo. All great cityís. The drive should be all green and beautiful as a large Hwy can be.
Yes, doing PCH down to San Diego. I lived out there for awhile, just wasn't familiar with the pros and cons of 50 vs 88 up North.

thanks
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM
  #17  
ganshert
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ganshert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 235
Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SWCDuke View Post
US 50 through Utah and Nevada is known as the "loneliest road in the world", which would be perfect for your trip, but you need to plan it out carefully as some sections may be up to 100 miles between available fuel stops.

I had that trip planned out back in the early nineties... had a business conference at Breckinridge in the summer and was going to drive up from LA, fly my then current GF who lived in the east SF Bay area to Denver and pick her up, then drive back on US 50 after the conference, but she dumped me a week before the trip, so I flew.

Duke
Yep, 50 is the reason I'm taking a Northerly route. It's been on my list for a long time. At least I have a working odometer and fuel gauge this time. Last time we did a roadtrip in this car both were broken.
ganshert is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 AM
  #18  
ricks327
CF Senior Member
 
ricks327's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Beverly Hills Mi
Posts: 7,935
Thanked 1,025 Times in 569 Posts
Default

When you Calif guys say "Highway 80", do you mean Interstate 80 (I-80)?
ricks327 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM
  #19  
Buttersvette
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: chico ca
Posts: 58
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Yes interstate 80
Buttersvette is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
  #20  
jimh_1962
CF Senior Member
 
jimh_1962's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Norcal CA
Posts: 5,929
Thanked 275 Times in 253 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
Yep, 50 is the reason I'm taking a Northerly route. It's been on my list for a long time. At least I have a working odometer and fuel gauge this time. Last time we did a roadtrip in this car both were broken.
Don't forget to check out the other highways around northern California. Fun drives on all of them (1, 3, 101, 20, 36, 299, 70, 99 and 32). Also take a drive through some of the Napa roads. There is a fun road from Santa Rosa to Calistoga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_California.

I would avoid 80 take 50 over the sierras.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 03-13-2019 at 10:38 AM.
jimh_1962 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: