C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

choosing pistons and cam 327 FI its complicated

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

The sky is the limit on blueprinting and expensive parts. If you can't live with old thumb rules like max compression for iron heads is below 9.5:1 c.r.. That and using published volume numbers instead of measuring volumes with lquid may or may not be good enough. It's up to you and your expectations. Modest performance with good drivability doesn't have to be rocket science as the stock engines where a good example when new 30 yrs ago.

But some just don't trust the published numbers for volumes and or need cutting edge blueprinting and that does take more time, skill and knowledge. Only you can choose what you really need for yourself.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Nominal deck height is 9.025". The nominal sum of crank throw radius (1.625"), nominal rod center to center length (5.700') and nominal piston compression height (1.675") is 9.000", so nominal deck deck clearance is .025".

The biggest variable is deck height. As the broach tools wear, it increases. I've seen decks up to .015" high and .010" side to side variation. This is why deck clearance must be measured to accurately achieve a target compression ratio. Otherwise you're just guessing.

The best time to measure deck clearance is before the block is disassembled. Each cylinder should be measured to determine if there is any slope (usually it's not enough to be of concern). Then the new deck clearance can be determined using values for the new parts. Some replacement pistons like KBs have slightly higher compression height than OE.

If the left deck is higher than the right it can be machined down to equal the right side without consequence because the machine work is not visible once the head is installed. The right deck should not be touched to preserve the original stamped data and broach marks. Another alternative is to use different thickness head gaskets side to side to make up for any variation in side to side deck deck. This will help equalize SCR on all eight cylinders. I like to keep max variation to no more than 0.1 and 0.05 is preferred.

The above is why I am always harping about PLANNING and doing a FORENSIC TEARDOWN if you want a truly precision engine that maximizes performance and doesn't detonate. Just tearing down the engine and sending everything to the machine shop is a recipe for disaster and there are many horror stories on the Web. The final outcome will be directly proportional to your planning and forensic teardown effort, but all too many guys completely ignore this.

Duke
Duke, while I agree with your comments, if the machine shop is competent, they will be able to set the decks parallel and square to the mains, and leave the important stampings. It is just a matter of paying attention. And on a side note, you know how guys talk about 'that car' that seemed to run so much better than the norm from the factory? I believe it was just serendipity that the car got an engine that had been machined right after the guy who was running the broach mill got up off his butt to check the wear on the broaching tool and reset it to specs. That, and several other machining operations down the line. Or, I may be full of crap.

The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (03-21-2019)

Quick Reply: choosing pistons and cam 327 FI its complicated