C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 stock shifter plate vs hurst shifter plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 65 stock shifter plate vs hurst shifter plate

I just went and removed my stock shifter. I can only get one of the three bolts that hold the shifter mounting plate loose. I was planning on ordering the Hurst shifter but before I break more tools or strip the alllen bolt, does anyone know if it’s the same plate? Any tricks for getting the bolts out if not?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 PM
C.W.C.
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The plates are not the same and do not interchange. In regards to the frozen Allen bolts, have you tried TIGHTENING a little more them to possibly break any corrosion causing them to bind, sometimes this will work. The plate and bolts are steel and the threaded case is Aluminum and will have different rates of reactions when heat is applied with a small propane torch. If all else fails, I have had good luck with PB Blaster penetrating oil. i suggested the penetrating oil LAST due to it's combustibility if you were then to apply a torch. They will come out with patience, I would suggest the use of anti-seize compound upon reassembly.
GOOD LUCK!
Chuck
Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Had the same problem and ended up using a Dremel to slot the screw head to use a right-angle screwdriver.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 PM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

They are not the same. I went through this with my 66 when I first got it.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:32 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I just pulled the trans instead of wasting time where I could properly heat, shock the bolt and remove. It worked. First time taking trans out. Wasn’t too bad after I read how to do it. Hope it goes in OK as well.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 stock shifter plate vs hurst shifter plate

Quick Reply: 65 stock shifter plate vs hurst shifter plate