C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Mystery (to me) bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Mystery (to me) bracket

The following are photos from under the cross member behind the dash on my '64 a/c coupe. I'm installing the wiring harness and cam across this. I didn't find a reference in my AIM. The mystery bracket is circled in red. The blue circle shows the ground wire connection for the radio and is for orientation. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

do you have the bracket that holds the AC duct in that part of the dash?
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Nowhere Man- I should but I will take a look through my bagged Items. My driver side duct holes on the firewall side of the assembly but with the dash out I can't easily piece it together now. Thank you for the direction you gave me.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

You will recall the left AC duct attaches in two places, the driver "A" pillar and on the left side pedal support, both via a bracket. I can not recall seeing the bracket you have pictured on my 64 AC coupe. The slotted head screw that is securing it to the Z bar does not appear to be a factory screw and the bracket has only one hole on the other end. Other than wiring, I can't recall anything that attaches in that area with only a single fastener point. I'm guessing the bracket is for an aftermarket something, maybe CB radio mic. If your main harness is original look it over for modifications.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (03-17-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Vitaminmopar- I checked Long Island Corvette's catalog and see a brace but the diagram is not that explicit. I will follow up on that. Thank you. there have been no modifications under the dash. I have had the car from 1970 and the original owner did nothing to the car. Maybe the bracket wasn't placed at the factory-not the first deviation I have found from the AIM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Reviewed the AIM. the bracket in question is bolted to the left hand side of the steering wheel brace so this is on the right side. Still A mystery.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Maybe a couple of photos from my Z brace area will help. Here is what I remember that attaches in this area, ground screw for dash, two brace rods for the firewall, the two fresh air vent cables attach to the instrument cluster, all the HVAC controls mount though the dash waterfall, and last the parking brake bracket. I can't think of anything else.

bottom of Z brace looking up.

Backside of Z brace looking rearward

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery (to me) bracket

Quick Reply: [C2] Mystery (to me) bracket