C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Trim Tag VS serial number build date - Same Day??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 PM
OldCorvetter
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 137 Posts

Default Trim Tag VS serial number build date - Same Day??

I’m looking at a 67 that has a trim tag body date that is Jan 11, and the serial number also shows to be the same day Jan 11 completion date. This is a St Louis body, so no delay there. And Jan 11 was a Wednesday, so good throughput on production.

Normally for a St Louis car I see 3 to 5 production days between these dates. Has anyone seen a genuine 1967 being completed on the same day as the body trim tag date?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetter
I’m looking at a 67 that has a trim tag body date that is Jan 11, and the serial number also shows to be the same day Jan 11 completion date. This is a St Louis body, so no delay there. And Jan 11 was a Wednesday, so good throughput on production.

Normally for a St Louis car I see 3 to 5 production days between these dates. Has anyone seen a genuine 1967 being completed on the same day as the body trim tag date?
Yes.............

Larry
Old 03-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Ditto.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

would be curious to know what the official date NCRS has with the shipping report
Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 PM
OldCorvetter
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Don’t have the NCRS data, but the serial number is fairly high for that days range. IE: it is about the 75th of the typical 110 cars that were estimated to be built on that day.
I just don’t recall seeing this though. The body goes all the way from the body assembly room through to completion all in one day? I’ve seen a next day build before, but not same day that I recall.

Last edited by OldCorvetter; 03-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetter
Don’t have the NCRS data, but the serial number is fairly high for that days range. IE: it is about the 75th of the typical 110 cars that were estimated to be built on that day.
I just don’t recall seeing this though. The body goes all the way from the body assembly room through to completion all in one day? I’ve seen a next day build before, but not same day that I recall.
Two things to remember:

1. Unless you have the NCRS Shipping Report, and other date is an estimate. The production data books have been known to be a few days off in some cases. So get the NCRS report to know for sure. With the estimate date books, the only number for certain was the last car produced for a given month. All work days were also treated as equal.

2. St Louis ran two shifts most days and built about 100-120 cars per day. Car body could go thru final stages of paint or buff-out early on one shift, and then be built into a full car late on the second shift.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 03-17-2019 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

It is not uncommon on a St Louis body for the NCRS report to reflect the same date as the trim tag date or the day after the trim tag date. keep in mind several cars a day went to repair of some sort so that could impact the date the NCRS report reflects. the date of that report is the date the car was released from production. The exception to the rule is when you see a car with a trim tag date that shows an NCRS report date 3 or 4 days later, in that case I would want to know what the car in front of and behind it reflected so you could ascertain if indeed it was impacted by heavy repair and you should also be aware a weekend could impact these dates. I can state emphatically that a NCRS date three days after the trim tag date is not in any shape form or fashion typical.
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

FWIW, my '67 has the same production date on the trim tag, and on the NCRS shipping report. March 27, 1967, it falls in line with production dates shown in the NCRS judging guide.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:34 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

If those making the tags back in the day had any idea of the importance we now place upon such things, I wonder how manyinconsistencies they would have introduced just to be mischievous. Seems it might be a lot more subtle fun than leaving a few loose bolts inside a door.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM
OldCorvetter
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok. Thank you all for your replies. It seems that same day build completion as the trim tag date is fine, and I accept that to be ok now.
I was more interested in your real life general experiences than I am in the NCRS judging guide that allows for one-off exceptions such as engine blocks that somehow sit around for 3 or 6 months before they are built into an engine and date stamped, or door gaps that are so big that you can almost reach through and touch the weatherstripping. These things may have happened but, given the asking price of correct cars now, I’m more interested in a car that I have faith in myself for the main components and elements to actually be correct, not just recreated to be NCRS guideline range correct. There are still enough cars for sale around that I’ll avoid the anomalies or questionable cars myself.
Thanks again for the great replies and to the forum in general.

Get notified of new replies

To Trim Tag VS serial number build date - Same Day??

Quick Reply: [C2] Trim Tag VS serial number build date - Same Day??